TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Injuries while working on your car Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Kman07 Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Because this got lost in the transfer, and I believe it is a decent thread. What are your injuries you have got when you’re working on your car?

german69 Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:15 pm

I ounce got a piece of dirt in my eye!

Alan Willis Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:19 pm

The biggest injury to date has to be my wallet;since getting into VW's it has never recovered :shock: :lol:

Foxx Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:22 pm

Kman07 wrote: Because this got lost in the transfer, and I believe it is a decent thread. What are your injuries you have got when you’re working on your car?
not everything got lost in the transfer.
somethings wasn't worth moving.

:idea:

Rusted Rockers Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:25 pm

grinding out the trans. on theghia for 12v and caught the motor compartment on fire i got 2 degree burns on my arm :shock:

tatersgravy Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Ran a flat head screw driver almost clean through my left palm. I almost passed out it hurt so bad and couldn't get it to stop bleeding. Took for ever to heal and left a scare about the size of a dime.

Russ Wolfe Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:15 pm

Had a 68 Bug autostick fall on me. 65 year old guy and his wife picked it off me.
Just a sore back and a burn from the hot muffler.

wny72westy Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:59 pm

The following occurred at work, and not when wrenching on my own vehicle.

1- Cut index finger on both sides to the bone after loosing my grip on, and trying to regain my grip on, a steel rim I was trying to mount on a balancer. Stupid mistake, and I'm still not really sure how I managed it.
2- Trying to pry something apart with a flat head screwdriver, the screwdriver slipped and went halfway through my palm. When I pulled it out, a good chunk of fatty flesh pulled with it. It didn't hurt nearly so much as it just looked awful.
3- Broke finger when using a pry-bar to steady a muffler, and a breaker bar to try and break a bolt free. The pry bar slipped, the whole muffler rotated, and the hand with the breaker bar rocketed forward into the pry bar.

I guess I'm a little clumsy.

Rusted Rockers Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:15 pm

seen a guy put together the headlights on a bus and one of those wire clips hit him in the eye

bamabug67s Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:18 pm

I was working on an old El Camino taking out the driveshaft to put new U-joints on. While taking the bolts off of the rear end yoke (mind you I was laying down on concrete under the car) about 3 inches of clearence between my head and the yoke, a stray dog came out of nowhere, got under the El Co and tried to bit my leg. First jerk reaction was to lift my head, to see what the hell was going on, hit the driveshaft and yoke :shock: center forehead,then reaction #2 was to put my head back down on the the ground :shock:on concrete. :evil: :evil: I got to stiches on my forehead and a headache from hell !!!!

420GOAT Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 pm

thats why i love to beat dogs....... oops i mean be sweet to dogs.!!
worst injury was we were moving my buddies 67 c-10 pickup and he was c notching the frony chassis to dropp it, so there was no suspension and we used an engine hoist to bacvk it intp the garage. well the momentum going up the driveway was too much to stop and the caster ran over my foot.....ouch, this was the most excruciating pain ive had from working on a car. i thought my big toe was crushed!! but it healed a month later.

propflux01 Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:29 pm

tatersgravy wrote: Ran a flat head screw driver almost clean through my left palm.

Done the exact same thing with a flathead! When I was 18, about 2 weeks before I went to basic training, I smashed my thumb getting the sway bar out of the lower control arm, lost the nail 2 days after I arrived there.

DeathBus Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:46 pm

I was grinding off the welds on the front nose of my camper

<--------------------------------

And the grinder bounced off and cut the middle joint of my left index finger down to the bone, 10 stitches on that one.

Stevie Fierce Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:05 pm

Alan Willis wrote: The biggest injury to date has to be my wallet;since getting into VW's it has never recovered :shock: :lol:

thats too bad. i have owned over 30 of these cars and i think im actually ahead of the game. my currect car is pretty sweet too. i think i paid $500 for it.

BUT my worst injury was prolly the metal shaving i got in my eye while welding in a battery tray on my 71 purple lump back in the early 90's. i had to go the emergency room where they couldnt do shit and then to the eye doctor where they plucked it from my eye with a tweezer and then i passed out and threw up on myself after the dumb nurse pressed the bandage WAAAAY to hard on my sore ass eyeball! i wear goggles when i grind these days.

on my first bug ever i figured out how to get the gas line off underneath and i drank gasoline for the first time that day. it also pooled up in my eyes and burned my skin pretty good too!

after that its all bloody knuckles.

bdub74 Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:00 am

Last winter I was out removing some seats from a 73 Beetle and was removing the spring from the latch on the hump when the spring slipped out of the pliers and right across the tip of the first finger of the other hand. Cut a NICE daigonal gash all the way to the bone, luckily it was about 20 degrees out so it didn't bleed much. The old guy who owned the bug asked if there was anything he could do, I was like just get me a paper towel and some electrical tape. Field bandage FTW!

Blaubus Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:04 am

Quote: Ran a flat head screw driver almost clean through my left palm.

when i was 19, i was working on my 56 beetle one day, and lost the bolts that attach the decklid, so i decided to use cheese head screws (big mistake), one of the screws had boogered threads and i just tried to power thru it- but the flathead screwdriver jumped out of the slot and i ran the tool right into my eye. the tool was nearly new, so it cut my cornea nearly all the way thru, so eye doctor had to STITCH IT UP :shock: fortunately, it was way off to the side, so it didnt mess up my vision.

hpw Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:16 am

dansvans wrote: Quote: Ran a flat head screw driver almost clean through my left palm.

when i was 19, i was working on my 56 beetle one day, and lost the bolts that attach the decklid, so i decided to use cheese head screws (big mistake), one of the screws had boogered threads and i just tried to power thru it- but the flathead screwdriver jumped out of the slot and i ran the tool right into my eye. the tool was nearly new, so it cut my cornea nearly all the way thru, so eye doctor had to STITCH IT UP :shock: fortunately, it was way off to the side, so it didnt mess up my vision.

Are you blind in that eye?

Godsbug Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:20 am

I was cutting the rubber to get the windows out of a bug and the knife slipped and got stuck in the knuckle in my thumb. I had to wiggle it out.

Kman07 Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:53 am

hpw wrote: dansvans wrote: Quote: Ran a flat head screw driver almost clean through my left palm.

when i was 19, i was working on my 56 beetle one day, and lost the bolts that attach the decklid, so i decided to use cheese head screws (big mistake), one of the screws had boogered threads and i just tried to power thru it- but the flathead screwdriver jumped out of the slot and i ran the tool right into my eye. the tool was nearly new, so it cut my cornea nearly all the way thru, so eye doctor had to STITCH IT UP :shock: fortunately, it was way off to the side, so it didnt mess up my vision

Are you blind in that eye?

Spezialist Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:59 am

yes, too many to mention, hopefully the lead based paint that I have sanded and sprayed in the past doesn't catch up with me, along with who knows what else