TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
65 Sunroof Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Joe Gibbs Racing now has “Driven” gear oil that is GL-4.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/gl-4-gear-oil-80w-90html/

dlearl476 Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 am

A little FHE:

I have a Beck Spyder and with the cable shifter, shifting can be interesting. When I finally got it roadworthy last year I swapped the gear lube out to Valvoline GL-4 based on info in this thread. Shifting was so-so. Sometime this spring one of my axle boot hose clamps broke and I leaked a little fluid. Couldn't find the Valvoline anywhere so I drained and refilled with some GL-5 from O'Reillys. Shifting the same. Once I got the hose clamp replaced I drained and filled again with one of my favorites: Motul Gearbox 80W-90 (which is listed as "GL-4/GL-5," whatever that means) and the trans shift like butter now.

In related news, I have a line on free Motul 300V. I expected the same smoothness out of it in the engine. It's got the zinc levels our engines love and who can best free, right. Motor sounded like a box of rocks. And my oil pressure light would flicker at idle when the motor was cold. So I drained it and went back to 15W-40 Rotella. Much happier sounding motor.

But my Motul love won't let go. Next time I place an order I think I'm going to get some of their high zinc/mid detergent "Classic" oil and give it a try next spring.

Wildthings Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:20 am

dlearl476 wrote: A little FHE:

I have a Beck Spyder and with the cable shifter, shifting can be interesting. When I finally got it roadworthy last year I swapped the gear lube out to Valvoline GL-4 based on info in this thread. Shifting was so-so. Sometime this spring one of my axle boot hose clamps broke and I leaked a little fluid. Couldn't find the Valvoline anywhere so I drained and refilled with some GL-5 from O'Reillys. Shifting the same. Once I got the hose clamp replaced I drained and filled again with one of my favorites: Motul Gearbox 80W-90 (which is listed as "GL-4/GL-5," whatever that means) and the trans shift like butter now.

In related news, I have a line on free Motul 300V. I expected the same smoothness out of it in the engine. It's got the zinc levels our engines love and who can best free, right. Motor sounded like a box of rocks. And my oil pressure light would flicker at idle when the motor was cold. So I drained it and went back to 15W-40 Rotella. Much happier sounding motor.

But my Motul love won't let go. Next time I place an order I think I'm going to get some of their high zinc/mid detergent "Classic" oil and give it a try next spring.

You shouldn't lose gear oil even if you cut your CV boots off as the CV should be lubricated by moly grease and not gear oil. You are either missing the cap that seals the output flange or the cap has popped out of place.

66brm Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:34 am

Wildthings wrote: dlearl476 wrote: A little FHE:

I have a Beck Spyder and with the cable shifter, shifting can be interesting. When I finally got it roadworthy last year I swapped the gear lube out to Valvoline GL-4 based on info in this thread. Shifting was so-so. Sometime this spring one of my axle boot hose clamps broke and I leaked a little fluid. Couldn't find the Valvoline anywhere so I drained and refilled with some GL-5 from O'Reillys. Shifting the same. Once I got the hose clamp replaced I drained and filled again with one of my favorites: Motul Gearbox 80W-90 (which is listed as "GL-4/GL-5," whatever that means) and the trans shift like butter now.

In related news, I have a line on free Motul 300V. I expected the same smoothness out of it in the engine. It's got the zinc levels our engines love and who can best free, right. Motor sounded like a box of rocks. And my oil pressure light would flicker at idle when the motor was cold. So I drained it and went back to 15W-40 Rotella. Much happier sounding motor.

But my Motul love won't let go. Next time I place an order I think I'm going to get some of their high zinc/mid detergent "Classic" oil and give it a try next spring.

You shouldn't lose gear oil even if you cut your CV boots off as the CV should be lubricated by moly grease and not gear oil. You are either missing the cap that seals the output flange or the cap has popped out of place.
Unless it's swing axle...

Wildthings Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:14 am

66brm wrote:
Unless it's swing axle...

Oops

dlearl476 Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:10 pm

66brm wrote: Wildthings wrote: dlearl476 wrote: A little FHE:

I have a Beck Spyder and with the cable shifter, shifting can be interesting. When I finally got it roadworthy last year I swapped the gear lube out to Valvoline GL-4 based on info in this thread. Shifting was so-so. Sometime this spring one of my axle boot hose clamps broke and I leaked a little fluid. Couldn't find the Valvoline anywhere so I drained and refilled with some GL-5 from O'Reillys. Shifting the same. Once I got the hose clamp replaced I drained and filled again with one of my favorites: Motul Gearbox 80W-90 (which is listed as "GL-4/GL-5," whatever that means) and the trans shift like butter now.

In related news, I have a line on free Motul 300V. I expected the same smoothness out of it in the engine. It's got the zinc levels our engines love and who can best free, right. Motor sounded like a box of rocks. And my oil pressure light would flicker at idle when the motor was cold. So I drained it and went back to 15W-40 Rotella. Much happier sounding motor.

But my Motul love won't let go. Next time I place an order I think I'm going to get some of their high zinc/mid detergent "Classic" oil and give it a try next spring.

You shouldn't lose gear oil even if you cut your CV boots off as the CV should be lubricated by moly grease and not gear oil. You are either missing the cap that seals the output flange or the cap has popped out of place.
Unless it's swing axle...
Bingo :wink:

pupjoint Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:51 am

dlearl476 wrote: A little FHE:

I have a Beck Spyder and with the cable shifter, shifting can be interesting. When I finally got it roadworthy last year I swapped the gear lube out to Valvoline GL-4 based on info in this thread. Shifting was so-so. Sometime this spring one of my axle boot hose clamps broke and I leaked a little fluid. Couldn't find the Valvoline anywhere so I drained and refilled with some GL-5 from O'Reillys. Shifting the same. Once I got the hose clamp replaced I drained and filled again with one of my favorites: Motul Gearbox 80W-90 (which is listed as "GL-4/GL-5," whatever that means) and the trans shift like butter now.

In related news, I have a line on free Motul 300V. I expected the same smoothness out of it in the engine. It's got the zinc levels our engines love and who can best free, right. Motor sounded like a box of rocks. And my oil pressure light would flicker at idle when the motor was cold. So I drained it and went back to 15W-40 Rotella. Much happier sounding motor.

But my Motul love won't let go. Next time I place an order I think I'm going to get some of their high zinc/mid detergent "Classic" oil and give it a try next spring.

I couldn't find Motul Gearbox in my place, been using Motul Gear 300 and happy with it.

surprised at your findings on the 300V. any idea whats the Zn levels in 300V?

Slow 1200 Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:51 am

I've been hearing good things about 300V used on AC VW's so I'm curious too, which viscosity did you try?

busey Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:26 pm

65 Sunroof wrote: Joe Gibbs Racing now has “Driven” gear oil that is GL-4.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/gl-4-gear-oil-80w-90html/

Reading thru some pages i'm thinking of using either Redline "NS" or the Joe Gibbs "Driven" in a rebuilt trans that was specified by the rebuilder to use "non synthetic".

mascrappo Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:29 pm

I went with 75W-90 Ravenol GL-4 semi-synthetic and have been very pleased, smooth shift.

busey Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:41 pm

mascrappo wrote: I went with 75W-90 Ravenol GL-4 semi-synthetic and have been very pleased, smooth shift.
Nice! will keep it in mind.

Italjohn Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:36 am

GL-5 oils often use sulfur-containing lubricants. Sulfur corrodes precious metals (yellow metals).
GL-5 oils are typically for differential or other heavily loaded gears so that the lubricant additives must be of high quality.
A GL-4 is a specification designed to meet the requirements of a gearbox where it is common to use brass and other precious (yellow) metals.

When one oil is both GL-4 and GL-5, one has chosen lubricant additives without sulfur compounds, but they have such good properties that they meet the requirements of a GL-5 oil.
One can therefore use an oil that meets both requirements, without worrying about the corroding of the base metals.

Wildthings Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Italjohn wrote:
When one oil is both GL-4 and GL-5, one has chosen lubricant additives without sulfur compounds, but they have such good properties that they meet the requirements of a GL-5 oil.
One can therefore use an oil that meets both requirements, without worrying about the corroding of the base metals.

There have been a pile of high sulfur GL-5 oils sold over the years that also carried a GL-4 rating. These oils were notorious for causing shifting problems.

mascrappo Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Liqui-Moly makes a 75W-90 GL4+ that has VW spec approval. Amazon carries it.

I prefer the Ravenol GL4 TSG blend, also from Aamzon, I tried both.

Bruce Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:49 pm

Italjohn wrote: GL-5 oils often use sulfur-containing lubricants. Sulfur corrodes precious metals (yellow metals).
False.
This so-called corrosion only occurs at temps above 250ºF, and since it's absolutely impossible to get your gear oil that hot, it can never happen.

Nobody has ever seen this mythical corrosion of brass parts. Search the interweb for photos.

Bruce Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:50 pm

Wildthings wrote: These oils were notorious for causing shifting problems.
Only one person has reported this. The overwhelming majority of GL-5 users have gearboxes that shift perfectly.

Bruce Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:56 pm

Italjohn wrote: A GL-4 is a specification designed to meet the requirements of a gearbox where it is common to use brass and other precious (yellow) metals.
VW never specified GL-4 oil for a Type 1 gearbox.

Subaru gearboxes have way more brass parts than a VW. Subaru recommends GL-5 only.

Yellow (copper) metals inside gearboxes are not precious. They are cheap parts that you throw away at rebuild time regardless of condition because everyone wants new.

Wildthings Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:15 am

Bruce wrote: Italjohn wrote: A GL-4 is a specification designed to meet the requirements of a gearbox where it is common to use brass and other precious (yellow) metals.
VW never specified GL-4 oil for a Type 1 gearbox.


GL-4 is an oil designed to allow for easy shifting and long life of modern gear boxes and is specified by many current automobile makers for their standard transmissions. VW specified MIL-L-2105B oils for later Type 1 transaxles just like they did for Buses, MIL-L-2105B being the military equivalent of GL-4.

79 Bug


73 Bug


In some years' owners manuals, VW erroneously equates MIL-L-2105B gear oil to a GL-5, correctly a GL-5 oil is either a MIL-L-2105D or MIL-L-2105E

.

robin.richard Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Okay, I'm going to change my gear oil.

I was running Valvoline 80-90wt with Some Lucas heavy duty oil additive. Seemed to work okay. No major issues. Only changed the gear oil once in 8 years when I first purchased the bus. Transmission history is unknow but possibly original to the bus. 1967 Westfalia with large nut RGB transmission.

I was thinking of using this gear oil during the change -



Has anyone used this before? Thoughts? Since this is an old transmission with old seals I was staying away from synthetic oil. Is that a correct concern? If not I may go with the Redline NS.

-Rich

mark tucker Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 pm

I wood go with syn.also seals are not that hard to change....if they leek. Im not a fan of mucas products.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group