TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
vwracerdave Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I currently use Valvoline in all my transaxles. It is all I have ever used in the last 30 years.

Zundfolge1432 Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:03 am

vwracerdave wrote: I currently use Valvoline in all my transaxles. It is all I have ever used in the last 30 years.

I believe you, there are plenty of folks here stuck in the glory days of yesteryear. If you are still using Dino 80w90 the technology moved beyond you about 25 years ago. I got a rotary dial phone that still works too. :D

vwracerdave Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Valvoline make both dyno and synthetic. Just because a company is 150 years old does not mean they don't modernize their products.

73buggy Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Hello Glenn:

Then I can use on my MEX 2003 the Valvoline VV831 80W-90?

Soon I want to replace the tranny oil, the car has about 14,000 km.

Thanks

68IHscout Sun May 17, 2020 6:06 pm

(Safe GL5 , amsoil m/t mtf5w30 )synthetic ,anyone ever use this in their transaxle?

Wildthings Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 am

68IHscout wrote: (Safe GL5 , amsoil m/t mtf5w30 )synthetic ,anyone ever use this in their transaxle?

A link would be nice

68IHscout Mon May 18, 2020 10:05 am

Wildthings wrote: 68IHscout wrote: (Safe GL5 , amsoil m/t mtf5w30 )synthetic ,anyone ever use this in their transaxle?

A link would be nice i just found a list on page 26 on this thread of safe gl5 ,i was just curious if anyone has used it .

jim martin Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:20 pm

here you go thought I would toss this option out there - i have used allot of oil products in the past .but after trying this for the past 3 years , im SOLD no need to try anything else .
no wear issues found during last 2 inspections /4th gear ratio changes .
launches are very hard and shifting is quite fast but very smooth .
gearbox is full synchro

https://torcoracefuel.net/products/torco-rtf-racing-transmission-fluid

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0058/8110/2447/files/RTF.pdf

modok Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:03 pm

Will add to list thanks.
How does the viscosity compare roughly? VS, say, syncromesh or 75-90?

Wildthings Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:57 pm

modok wrote: Will add to list thanks.
How does the viscosity compare roughly? VS, say, syncromesh or 75-90?

Sounds like an 80w90

jim martin Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:27 pm

uploaded the technical data sheet to the above link for quick reference.
good info and i have not really noticed any difference cold warm or hot , shifts smooth all the time .
my ring and pinion still going

Slip356 Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:51 am

Talked with Vic Skirmants (356 transmission guru) yesterday about my 356 transmission that he is just finishing up. Should be shipped to me this week.
Asked what oil he recommends. He like Valvoline 80/90 standard gear lube or any other major or brand. As for synthetic, he say’s OK but might have leaks.

Chickensoup Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 pm

Slip356 wrote: Talked with Vic Skirmants (356 transmission guru) yesterday about my 356 transmission that he is just finishing up. Should be shipped to me this week.
Asked what oil he recommends. He like Valvoline 80/90 standard gear lube or any other major or brand. As for synthetic, he say’s OK but might have leaks.

i thought that the whole synthetic and leakage idea was a myth. yes? no? maybe so?

Wildthings Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Chickensoup wrote: Slip356 wrote: Talked with Vic Skirmants (356 transmission guru) yesterday about my 356 transmission that he is just finishing up. Should be shipped to me this week.

i thought that the whole synthetic and leakage idea was a myth. yes? no? maybe so?

If you have an engine that seeps with 40wt in it and then go to a 0w30 oil it may leak a bit worse but probably not by much. I strongly suspect that it is the same for transmissions.

i swapped all my old engines over the synthetic between 10 and 20 years ago and none leaked noticeable worse than they had been before. Most cars dripped a lot of oil before the advent of PCV ventilation systems in the mid sixties, so as synthetic oils became more popular it would have been easy to blame synthetics for making older rigs leak extra oil even if the leaks didn't actually get worse. When I was a kid all roads had a dark oily buildup down the center of each lane, which was caused by both draft tubes and the engines of the time constantly dripping, yet in this day and age where synthetics and 0w20 dino oils are common that slick it totally missing because today's engines almost don't leak whether dino or synthetic oils are used.

Bruce Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:35 am

jim martin wrote:

GL-6!

EverettB Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:00 am

Dammit, time to update the thread title and start some new arguments. :D

jim martin Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:06 am

bruce I know what you are thinking ,I called them on this and since the only machine made to test the gl-6 is no longer in this world and product exceeded all gl-5 tests that's where they came up with the gl-6 rating.
regardless gl-5 /gl-6 rating , high torque load and easy shifting the product works very well in transaxles regardless of application

mukluk Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:54 pm

jim martin wrote: bruce I know what you are thinking ,I called them on this and since the only machine made to test the gl-6 is no longer in this world and product exceeded all gl-5 tests that's where they came up with the gl-6 rating.
regardless gl-5 /gl-6 rating , high torque load and easy shifting the product works very well in transaxles regardless of application
They're using false logic and false advertising then. If it had been previously tested properly and met GL6 spec then they'd be right to claim it, but if it's only been tested for GL5, no matter if it just barely met the requirements or it completely blew them out of the water, it still only meets GL5 spec.

modok Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:10 pm

False acusations....!
Prove it doesn't meet the spec. :wink:

The GL rating is fairly meaningless as far as determining if an oil is suitable for use in a syncronized manual transmission anyway. The 60 pages is proof of that.
On the other hand if it DOES say it works good, and it doesen't, then that's newsworthy. Closest thing I heard to that was maybe redline, maybe.

evanfrucht Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:50 am

Good deal alert! German made conventional GL5 by Liqui-Moly
$6.60 a quart currently with free shipping over $49.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_moly-parts/manua...OAQAvD_BwE