TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Which Model Year Question.. Page: Previous  1, 2
hsosa1 Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 pm

I would go with a 62-66 if u can get a rag. there s nothing like crusing with the rag top open especially in Southern Califas !

weinerbug Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:19 am

Little Things
I like the older hub caps. I like the two tone wheels, the older dash, the wolfsburg hood emblem, VW's made in Germany, the lower hp easier to work on pre-emmission control.
My range was 58 -65.
The old king pin suspension is beefy if not overbuilt. Ball joints when they let go can turn your VW into a tricycle with some carnage under your butt dragging the freeway.
A nice balance between power and mileage is the 40hp despite all the dispariaging words. The '65 40 hp fresh air heat is I think the best compromise. And the heater works and doesn't stink.
My 58 has all the above with the 40hp fresh air heat, good cylinder heads from 65.
I have owned a 65, my Dad had a 64 and now I have a 58. Love them all.
Love the sound, the smells, and the view onto the road.

threeflys Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:54 pm

This is why I ask the experts...besides, people LOVE talking about why they bought what they bought!
Thanks,
Chris

hrbe53 Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:26 pm

I only wanted a 58 - 66. Luckily i got a 66. AMAZING CAR!!! The only thing i dont like about the year is the 9 pin turn signal relay. 6v ones are a pain in the butt to find, and when you do, EXPENSIVE. I only really wanted these years to make my own herbie. I know, i know he's a 63'. But with an aftermarket ragtop, it'll be close enough for me.

Just make shure you dont have to replace pans or wiring, or shifter bushings, ...or brake lines..... But for a fifteen year old that would normally be a pain. :cry: It sucks not being able to drive my first car :cry: :cry: :cry:

kevin11 Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:34 am

I like my 68... I've had 61's,65's,66, 67's,69's,72,73' , all are fun and who cares,as long as they aren't left in fields to die..
I like being able to lock it all up ,from the hood, to the deck lid.
It is mixed with both the old and new.

estofer Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:14 pm

I recommend 66 or 67. I have had a 63, 64, 66, 67, another 66 and another67. My favorite has been the 66 because of the bigger windows, hazards, highlow switch on the signal indicator and it still has the classic look of the old bugs (no plastic).

threeflys Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:41 pm

I think I'm liking the idea of a '66, with the addition of the Wolfsburg Crest on the hood of course! ;)
Chris

bill may Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Wingnuttz61 wrote: It all personal preference. like a 68' or better with IRS.

only IRS in 1968 beetle was an auto stick. you sure you want a 1968 auto-stick to have a 1968 with IRS? 1968 had swingaxle if 4 speed.(auto-stick was 3 speed)

Yellowbeard Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:32 pm

I like 63s. Last year for the early features. First year for fresh air heating. Has a gas gauge. Last year for canvas rag top.

FWIW, Herbie was a 63 rag.

My .02

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:33 pm

I have heard of no good stories about '68s with automatic stickshift

bill may Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:43 am

67 Florida Deluxe wrote: I have heard of no good stories about '68s with automatic stickshift

no good stories about those 62-67 saxomat trans beetle either. for people that can't push down a clutch pedal and move a shifter at same time,or chew gum and walk at same time. :D

Zundfolge1432 Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:44 pm

bill may wrote: 67 Florida Deluxe wrote: I have heard of no good stories about '68s with automatic stickshift

no good stories about those 62-67 saxomat trans beetle either. for people that can't push down a clutch pedal and move a shifter at same time,or chew gum and walk at same time. :D

Careful there my friend with talk like this you will surely unleash the flying monkey autostik wing of the samba.... Hardly a day goes by someone isn't drumming up support for these turds...

To the guy looking for a Bug to drive, decide for yourself unless you make all decisions by concensus and what other people think.. Who gives a rats ass what other people think..... What I think is irrelevent as well but since you asked VW quit making cars the same year Heinz Nordoff died, 1968 so anything before that would be a car to have...

Jim-

sonoma_vw Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:26 am

67 Florida Deluxe wrote: I have heard of no good stories about '68s with automatic stickshift

I had two, both VERY zippy: a lowered 68 autostick, with metal sunroof, and a 70 autostick. But I'm cheating as they were both built by the same knowledgable mechanic. If you don't know the different bits of how they function, they surely can be a pain.

Mine were built by Marvin Freitas @ Hawaiian Country VeeDubs in Newark California, late 80s/early 90s. Marvin apparently also built a Kona Gold drag bug. He knew how to get them tuned to be fast. (I just wish I could pick his brain for help with my current manual '60.)

sonoma_vw Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:29 am

Alan Willis wrote: '
'66-'67 are the only years with Emergency flashers.

They stopped flashers in '67? :?: For some reason I had flashers in my '68.

nebula Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:17 pm

sonoma_vw wrote: Alan Willis wrote: '
'66-'67 are the only years with Emergency flashers.

They stopped flashers in '67? :?: For some reason I had flashers in my '68.
I'm not sure what's original, but my '67 has the 2-pin flasher knob; Wolfsburg West sells the cap for it and says it's for 68-77