TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Air Ride Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
jjshets Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:20 pm

Anybody in the Phoenix area that knows anything about air ride suspension? who i could have do some custom welding for me? any info about air ride, installing, in phoenix would be helpful.

R.Rabbit Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:34 pm

hit LowlifeVW most of the guys on there are outs AZ and a few work with air ride stuff

do a search though, it will save you a lot of time

sharkskinman Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:04 pm

The DDB has Full bolt on kits
and i think airkewled has the rear swing axle and i think air shocks in front

ask maybe square on air
hes the only one i can think of that has a type 3 air ride WithOut bolt on mounts

Damn why are the bolt ons So damn expensive

and airkewled sells complete mount sets (expensive)
and i Dont think The DDB will sell just the mounts

Just my 2 bits

Mr. Bubblehead Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:06 pm

sharkskinman wrote: Damn why are the bolt ons So damn expensive

I thought the same thing a couple years ago when I put my bus on air ride. I decided to build my own and it still cost about $1500 in materials and quite a few hours in it.

I'm currently building a single bag air beam for one of my type 3's and it's adding up very quick $$$$!

vwfye Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:47 pm

i'm looking forward to my DDB system being installed on my 343! best part? i dont have to figure out what to use... Martin and Toby have already figured that out for me!

sharkskinman Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:02 am

Thats the biggest reason i can come up with too.

I wouldnt mind doin it myself but in the idea of
-i dont have a place to go and weld-
The package will be exactly what i need

I dont have to look any further

Anyone have pics of the actual mounts of the DDB has made

i get how the back will probably go ...
but the front, im stumped

Ive seen pics and vidoes of the setup in motion
but have never seen the workings

either way
They say bolt on - and thats simple enough

TheDDB Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:32 pm

For those interested in the air ride here is a video clip off a square we just did:

vwfye Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:47 pm

so, do you think it will work in a type 3 with a type 3 front end? #-o

Erik G Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:00 pm

no 3 wheel?

yodismatt Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:06 pm

Front doesn't go low enough, I am lower without air.

Mike Fisher Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:14 pm

I thought they had driveways in FL?

jjshets Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:18 pm

thats my problem, i dont want to get stuck going up my driveway curb.
i could get ramps out every time i want to take it out... but i am lazy. and then there is all those speed bumps. three wheels would just be for fun though.

djsun Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:56 pm

That's my green square back up there with the new air ride. Here are my thoughts.

It was lower before the air, and I want it lower still.
I'm either going to go dropped spindles or find a way to re-work the front bag mounts, I'll keep everyone posted.

It rides better now, even with just a few pounds of air in the front then it did with just turned splines.

No 3 wheel. From what I can tell bagged cars with independent 4 wheel suspension can't do 3 wheel. you cant suck up one wheel. The type 3's with the bug beam and the one bag in the middle can do it because the modification make the front end behave like a solid Axel.

So unless you have a solid Axel or a bug beam with a single bag or Hydraulics, I don't see 3 wheel motion in your future.

I could be wrong this is just an observation.

Eanderson Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:29 pm

Here's some pics of my front beam. Four inches narrowed, machined axles, relocated steering box, cantilever style, bags push off the welded-in mild steel tubing front braces. Front frame ends cut, plated, and raised 2 inches. I did all the work myself with the help of a good friend, who's also a custom car builder/fabricator. The front pan is half an inch from the ground. Without dropped spindles or a type 1 beam. It took hours and hours to build. If you payed a car fabricator to build this front suspension it would cost thousands. The bolt on kits like the DDB are the way to go. All the enginering, trial and error has been done. Also a hobbiest can probably install it.
[img]
[/img][img]IMG]
[/img]
[img][/img]

Mr. Bubblehead Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:44 am

^^^ Nice ride!

frank2 Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:20 am

Callin out B-funk show em how to lay rocker! :shock:

vwfye Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:25 am

Erin,
since it is air ride... just to know, is the narrowed t3 beam still stuffed with the torsions and the swaybars?

Mr. Bubblehead Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Where did you get that fuel cell, and what size is it?

Air-Cooled Head Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:28 pm

djsun wrote:
It was lower before the air, and I want it lower still.

:shock: I'll be happy when mine gets that low.
Wouldn't lower make it undrivable?

Eric Anderson wrote: If you payed a car fabricator to build this front suspension it would cost thousands.

That was my first thought. Reminds me of the air ride/tag wheel on a charter bus.

djsun Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:17 pm

The lowest part of the car now (beam) is about 2.5 " from the ground when fully down in front, and you can't drive it like that because the air bag is collapsed on itself and that is bad for it. You have to put a few pounds of air in the bag to drive it witch raises it up a couple inches.

With dropped spindles i figure it will go down about 1.75" more then is does now, witch means i can drive it 1.75 inches lower with air in it. :)