TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Very rotten Split panel. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Posty Fri May 07, 2010 5:34 am

Sorry for the lack of updates. The project has not been abandoned but I have had to take a break. I'm busy building a new house and once the house and garage are finished I'll be right back at it.

waxhead Fri May 07, 2010 10:19 am

Nice work - great to see another 'Irish built' VW being saved. There were so many on Irish roads at one point, not so any more (damn climate!).

Here's a P&T van that I photographed in West Cork back in the early '90s. I went back a few years ago and it was gone, scrapped I presume.

Looking forward to seeing your bus back on the road!

Jake Martinez Fri May 07, 2010 4:24 pm

thats the way to find them. :lol:

EXJAY Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 pm

^ that middle pic is pretty cool..

Jacks Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 am

House and garage done yet?

Neil65bug Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 pm

:shock: i was searching for some rusty splits to compare to the one im looking at buying but was unsure due to the amount of work, but this has just convinced me to get it :D :D
great work 8)

waxhead Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:46 pm

I hope this project hasn't been abandoned. I though about it when I found this photo that an American tourist took in Dublin in 1961. You can see one of these P&T vans (Post & Telegraph - the old Irish post/phone service)

Posty Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:08 am

Nice find I have a copy of that picture. Its the only color one I have. Project not abandoned will be back at it soon.
Just got my workshop up last saturday and wiring it up now. As soon as its finished I'm right back at the panel. Its been a few years but whats the rush.

House now finished and garage hiding behind the fence to the left.

Workshop just up .
That is the kids unfinished kart not the split. Just for scale ;)

veedubman72 Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:07 am

At first glance that kart could have easily been mistaken for a real bus project. Fooled me for a second. I was thinking that has to be one of the most massive private garages I've ever seen :shock: and then I read that the bus was a kart and realized the picture is just screwing with me because of the small kart. Either that or that has to be one of the biggest broom handles ever :lol:

Bloku Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Am I the only one with almost every picture broken? :?

EverettB Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:11 pm

Bloku wrote: Am I the only one with almost every picture broken? :?

Yes

vwclap Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Bloku wrote: Am I the only one with almost every picture broken? :?
No

Posty Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 am

Sorry about the images. Yes most are broken . Thats a sure sign thats its been years since I did anywork an this. I will clean them up when ever I get a spare few hours.

EverettB Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:07 am

EverettB wrote: Bloku wrote: Am I the only one with almost every picture broken? :?

Yes

Ooops, thought you meant on this page.

Please post the images in the Samba Gallery here, they will never break. :)

cory464 Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:09 am

Posty wrote: Nice find I have a copy of that picture. Its the only color one I have. Project not abandoned will be back at it soon.
Just got my workshop up last saturday and wiring it up now. As soon as its finished I'm right back at the panel. Its been a few years but whats the rush.

House now finished and garage hiding behind the fence to the left.

Workshop just up .
That is the kids unfinished kart not the split. Just for scale ;)

that is a beautiful house. hope to see you back to work soon.

Posty Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:25 am

Thanks very much. We like it, you know what they say happy wife happy life. I had to get the house sorted first before I could move on to the more important matters.

I have most of the puzzle in the new shed now just waiting on the biggest piece. My mate with the trailer let me down over the weekend so had to make do with the panels I have to play with. New welder is on the way so should be in a position to get back to the cutting welding soon. but its going to be measuring up time first.

Volktales Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Amazing what you have done so far. Keep up the great work!

Posty Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:53 am

I finally have her home. I had forgotten how bad it still is. Crazy amount of work ahead. It would look so much better if there was a front on it.

Tucked away safely. a bus takes up allot of room when its in this many pieces.

Still along when from being complete

You can see the roof/gutter problems hence the donor roof.

The short side is at least almost complete

Roof ready fro prep.

Lots of spot welds to drill out but at least its in the right place to start.

The long side is amazingly straight considering the condition of the rest of the van.

Not much done but at least its home now and I have no excuses not to get back to it.

SkooobaSteve Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:32 am

Looks like you have a plan and a place to start it so look forward to seeing what you do next.

Posty Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:36 am

I got a full day on Monday at the bus. I wanted to see progress or least finish one job. I got some of the jobs on the first list done but didn't finish the entire list. I ran out of welding gas and had a thought. If I am going to have to cut the roof off, why am I working in the cargo area in the dark. Light bulb moment. Off with the center section of the roof.

The List
1.Shape floor to meet sides and rear tube. Done but not welded
2.Hammer and dolly rear tube repair into place and tack. Done
3.Weld in lower side support that is prepped. Done
4.Remove old upper support: drill out all spot welds etc. Starter but not complete
5.Prepare new upper support. Cut outs for vertical supports. Not starter

Second side support coming off. I plan on finishing this side,applying rust inhibitor and painting with rust bullet before moving on. This is the single largest original panel that will remain

I didnt cut the front off as I want it to look a bit like a bus for an other while yet. I will leave it until I'm almost ready for the transplant.

The reason for changing the roof is that the gutters are completely gone most of the way round.

Thats all for now.