TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Very rotten Split panel. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
mandraks Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Posty wrote: Preparing the donor panel for above the engine bay. Adding a bay window engine hatch before going in. lots of bits missing around the edges. The bus it came out of had the spare wheel well. I hope to use the bit I cut out for the hatch to make the ends meet. Also made the overflow pipe. Beer Time.

if i could do that level of repairs, i would build a custom. remove the entire tank, tank cover, luggage tray, everything, and build it back the way it is in the vanagon. just needs a longer rear hatch. engine could be a type 4 or type 3 to make it flat enough to fit.
Tank under the cargo floor. maybe drop the transmission some to make room above. straight axle conversion. but stock-ish height.

So much more room in the bus afterwards. Would make much better camper!

Two Glove Boxes Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:12 am

Hell yeah getting it! =D> =D>

Posty Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:39 pm

Both inner rear side panels back on. Bare metalled treated with Por15 primed and a bit of green on the inside as I wont really be able to access this area too easy again. Lots of work prepping the firewall donor panel before going in, sides dont meet so making the pieces up as I go.. Fuel tank now sealed on the inside and all painted up too. Really glad I put the heater in yesterday.

Right side now all closed up.

challomoner Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 pm

8)

Posty Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 pm

Left side rear coming together. I had just enough metal with the correct profile left over after cutting the hole for the engine hatch.

The short side upper was the last rusty hole to be filled. Now I really should have replaced more of this and may have to in the
future but I had to try and save some of the sign writing. I took the bare minimum off.

Posty Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:23 am

It will be 15 years since I started this project on the 16th of March. Yep I know, its been far too long.
I decided about 2 weeks ago to aim to take it for its for test drive in 40+ years on this date. Might even have my very own paddy's day parade.

I have been updating our own local split forum almost daily but don't update the samba as regularly. so here goes.

14 days left from today and lots more work to do. I only have to have it driving, stopping, and steering as I am months away from being ready for any sort of paint on the top side.

The time line is looking a bit tight now. still bits of doors half way around the country. Haven't got much done in the last few days but did make a rotisserie. Cool but scary haven't gone the whole way over yet. Need a second pair of hands for that. This will give me the access I need to tidy up and finish some welding I couldn't reach. Then it's seal up the under side and paint it. It's going to be so easy to run brake lines now.
Probably should have built one of these years ago.

17 days.
Cleaning up nicely under here. I'm still welding though and all this stuff has to go back together and in to the bus. Getting exciting. Kids took advantage of the camper being outside and are camping tonight.

15 says. I have doors. Finally both tops and bottoms correct period and everything.
Between the left door and the right door top they have travelled far and trough many hands to get to me. Thanks to all involved. I still have some welding to do at the front. I was afraid to commit until I had both doors and windows in. Glad I left it. There is a little work to sort gaps yet. There's also the left door hinges to sort.i do have the originals so another original piece used.
Have some time as waiting for paint for the under side.

Posty Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 am

Beetlebaum Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Impressive work!

mandraks Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:46 pm

Posty wrote: It will be 15 years since I started this project on the 16th of March. Yep I know, its been far too long.
I decided about 2 weeks ago to aim to take it for its for test drive in 40+ years on this date. Might even have my very own paddy's day parade.

i just took a trip down memory lane and looked at the "as found" pictures. WOW!

Posty Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:16 pm

BANG. and like that its alive.

mandraks Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:36 pm

looks good from here. Are you going to restore the original logos and paint?

challomoner Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:39 pm

Congrats Tony must have been a great feeling!

tisius Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:02 am

It's alive !!! \:D/

Two Glove Boxes Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:08 am

Posty wrote:

=D> =D> I love the way this photo is hitting right here full of colors and looking like a hovercraft!

gerryjunior Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:49 pm

A hell of a lot of hard work, fair play it looks great , hats off to you for sticking with it,,

LAGrunthaner Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:19 pm

Congratulations Posty! =D> =D> =D>

Posty Fri May 26, 2023 8:44 am

I will post a proper update soon but for now we are finally on the road.

Eric&Barb Fri May 26, 2023 8:54 am

Great to see it on the road again!!

Stocknazi Sat May 27, 2023 7:08 am

Wow, hard to believe someone would even think about saving a bus like this almost 20 years ago. Some of your posts are dated 2006!

Nice to see it finished and back on the road.

BulliBill Sat May 27, 2023 7:50 am

Absolutely fantastic "save" of an almost gone Bus! Great determination to your project on your part! Enjoy the drive!

Our family has an old home in Midleton, Co. Cork. I haven't been there in quite a while (I hope it's still standing), but the next time we head over there, I'll have to come by to see your handiwork and buy you beers!

Bill