TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Very rotten Split panel. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
bugpowered Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:01 am

I was so impressed by your ingenuity, creativeness, and drive that I had to email the link to my brother. He and I both have formal training in bodywork, but both agreed that we would have let mother nature takes it course. On the other hand, you have sight beyond sight to see what can and will be. Keep up the dedication and keep your batteries charged!

66311 Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:04 am

Posty wrote: 66311 more pics of your bus please. Dare I say it, it doesn't look that bad. I think they should all be saved. With the availability of panels these days there is no reason to cut up buses. I think folks should remember that there is a finite number of buses and once there gone there gone.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2441642&highlight=#2441642

As a friend says quietly and matter of fact " They are all worth saving".
I don't have too many picts of the bad areas in detail but you are right. It doesn't look that bad. The deluxe is in storage 646 miles from me. I should have a place to work at it this summer. Thanks again for compounding the motivation.

Skim Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:54 pm

wow, thats crazy, labor of love. 8)

Skim Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:57 pm

Posty wrote:

damn, what are those things in the back?

72MUST Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:35 pm

Great to see probably the only remaining Irish P&T split being brought back from the dead (or beyond ? ! )

My dad bought 2 P&T splits back in the late '70s/early '80s..
He had to put in a bid or tender & who ever put in the highest bid won !
He bid 36 (punts) ,he figured that an odd no. improved his chances !

There was about 2 years between purchases & 36 was sufficient both times !

Both were '67s 1500 12v 14"rims

Unfortunately both got scrapped ,they werent cool then ! .....he used the 1500 motors as a basis in his midengined autocross/grasstrack singleseater

I remember one having wooden shelving down one side..& I think even the angle iron roofrack got "recycled" for another purpose !

Front hubs from one were used in the building of a trailer ...

Probably still a few small bits from them lying around....

mixedup59 Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Hats off to you. That is one of the craziest rescues that I've ever seen!
Talk about ambition and drive! Keep up the nice work!

The old photo with the bus in the line up is badass! =D>

beetleboy58 Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:10 pm

What is an "irish built' split?

Skim Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:38 pm

RHD built for Ireland maybe?

mackteck Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:42 am

beetleboy58 wrote: What is an "irish built' split?

assembled in Ireland.
(Ireland was also the first country outside Germany to 'build' beetles,
from CKD (completely knocked down) kits)

obus Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:24 am

props to you for tackling such a project. best of luck and keep us posted as you continue!

typesoneandtwo Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:58 am

Amazing dedication! This thread should be a sticky.
Cheers!

1971SuperBeetle Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:37 am

Amazing Restoration you are doing on this bus. I know if I had the skill you had I would of gave up a long time ago or not taken on such a huge project.

I will be checking back to see how you are doing on your project and I cannot wait to see it finished
Scott

TimGud Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:30 am

Great job! Much more of a job than I would have attempted. Makes my project look like childs play.

type3dude Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:19 am

You sir can work magic 8)

John Miller Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Wow! Great job.
I love threads like this.

VOODOOKING Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:31 am

wow,.. I just had an anxiety attack looking at those pictures imagining myself having to go through all of that :lol:

Rusted Rockers Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:40 pm

after that anything is restorable.... :shock:

now thats dedication.... props on the werk bro.. 8)

draginwagen Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:58 pm

Rusted Rockers wrote: after that anything is restorable.... :shock:

now thats dedication.... props on the werk bro.. 8)

x2.

Now nobody can complain about a car being to far gone. :lol:

Posty Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:32 pm

Mackteck is correct an Irish split is one assembled in Dublin,from CKD (completely knocked down) kits) The production figures are currently unknown but I am trying to find out. There are currently only 12 surviving examples. Thats the Irish weather for you.

I had been working on the back of the bus for a while. Trying to figure out the next step but I can't really repair the rear post area with out having both rear doors. The post area to the left of the rear hatch where in meets the roof is completely gone as are the rear posts to either side of the engine lid. I have got the rear tubs and some other bits sorted back here though.

So as I collect parts and doors I said I'd move on to the cargo doors. The upper hinge on the left door was fecked, the hinge pin was really badly bent and I could not get it out of there. So I gave up and just cut a square out of the cargo door so I could drill the welds off and remove the hinge altogether. Luckily I had rotten spares door that had a good hinge. Well new hinge in and square all welded up the door is lining up great ;D.

I welded in the outer sill below the cargo door and went about repairing the lower cargo doors. Keeping in mind these are the only original doors being kept. The white paint helps see the gaps better.

The inner supports that I bought needed more metal if they were going to fit my rotten ones. This is where my spare door came in handy again.

I haven't got it all welded together yet but the right door is almost sorted. ;D

Thats all for now folks.

Chick Iverson Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:47 pm

WOW!!!! Glad I live in SOCAL!!!! I can't imagine how much work that is!