TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Very rotten Split panel. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Tuffluck Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm

This is a true "build". Awesome job, lets see more!!!!!!! :D

Posty Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Quote: This is a true "build". Awesome job, lets see more!!!!!!!

Here you go.
http://theapplemarket.com/posty/blog/

Posty Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:56 pm

As it was two years since I started this project this week I decided to start on the front panel. I have been putting this off for a while as I is going to be tough.
I cut the right chassis leg off, I will have to get the steering box off later i'm thinking I might have to stick it in a bucket of oil.
Test fitted the cab floor. This panel will help lining it all up.
I am putting the two front chassis sections in one at a time lining it up with the original. Once the right is lined up and in I will cut the left original out.

I am using Gerry's donor front chassis sections. I am going to tack in the right leg section where it is cut half way along the cross member. I will weld the left in when the panel goes in. I'm really only using the original cross member to line it all up. Unfortunately I am 2 inches short on the right chassis leg as the original was too rotten.

I'm going to use 2 inches of this panel that I bought a while back before I bought the front panel. Well at least its going to get used.

It has to look worse before it looks better. And as always the supporting wife.

Drilled all the spot welds out holding the remnants of the cab floor from the donor chassis section. I have stripped out the pedal assembly.

Cleaned up a bit and welded more donor bits on so it can be welded to the bottom of the tool box section.

A bit of weld through primer. And the right front chassis section ready to be put in place.

Getting it in place was really tricky a third hand would have been handy.

Filling my 2 inch gap. its so easy to weld this chassis stuff. I can seam weld it with out worrying about it warping unlike those body panels. spot spot spot...

Clamp measure, clamp measure. Weld.

eastcoast63 Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:11 pm

nice work.....

neonrick Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 pm

:shock: WOW!! amazing!!!!!!! That is truely a massive undertaking!! Congrats on your progress.

&Dan Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Astounding.

Even given the typical brass Irish balls, this is a real feat.

You make me proud of the better half of my Mick/Wop upbringing.

Erin Go Bragh!

Crippler Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:18 pm

you, my friend, are a monster, and an inspiration.

AND the girlie is all smiles. wow. you win on all sides.

i am now convinced that anything is possible. anything.

good luck and more pics please.

mightymouse Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:26 am

=D> this is my new fav thread. never say never is my moddo. and never give up is one of my others. thats why i said that swedish barndoor can be saved. yours is worse, and its coming along just fine. :) you are an inspiration to us all. keep it up man. dave

fifty8 Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:47 am

mightymouse wrote: =D> this is my new fav thread. never say never is my moddo. and never give up is one of my others. thats why i said that swedish barndoor can be saved. yours is worse, and its coming along just fine. :) you are an inspiration to us all. keep it up man. dave

and the one in Ohio. Very impressive work.

VW_MAN_73 Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Nice Work! Nice to see a bus saved than junked:wink:

kamara Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 am

You have given vw bus owners a hero to look up to with your great courage, hard work and sheer stubborn determination. Three cheers and a hearty slap on the back to you, sir!

itlives Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:26 am

Great work!!! :D :D
I saved a '58 Bug by replacing the bottom 6" of it and getting another pan.
That's childs play compared to what you're into!
Keep on keepin' on!!

napat Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:46 am

Hi Tony, Great work!
Love to see your bus in real life :-)

P.S. my name is ppp on vwrides hope you recognize me.

Posty Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:01 am

HI Pat I know who you are alright.
This vw world is getting smaller and smaller everyday. If you want to visit I'm sure you would have it done in no time. If you can wait long enough I might drive it over to see you. I kid you not, my wife wants to Drive to Cambodia and we could swing by Bangkok so It might happen some day :roll: .

Thanks for all the support guys :D I think hero is a bit strong I'm just a fool thats wants to save an Irish assembled bus. The work is pretty rough as I am making it up as I go along. Please keep in mind that I had never done any metal work until I started this bus. All the work I did at the start I am really not happy with and will have to do again. The long side repair panel for example is warped from the heat when I welded it. I am learning every week :oops: . I hope to get 4 days on it this week so lots of updates to come.

ronan.b Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:05 pm

don't lie collin's you've been my hero a long time now :D

Posty Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Left chassis leg replaced with solid donor one.

Made the bracket to weld to the inner font valance.

Made the close off panel for right chassis leg and welded up.

Ok it was time to tidy up the front panel, it took ages to get the left chassis leg off.

Drilled out the remainder of the doglegs and removed the old underseal.

Cut out the rotten metal and primed the inside.

Welded up and painted.

I removed the speedo pod as the area for mounting to speedo was in bits. Then I removed the original from the rotten dash and cleaned it up and primed it ready for install.

Mocked up the front panel but it doesn't line up well at all. I cant quite figure it out when it lines up with the drivers door it is too far right and the bumper bracket holes are way off and the a posts are way off. Well it will have to wait.

Thats all for now.

adam401 Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:51 pm

you will have every right to be the proudest vintage vehicle owner in the world when you take it out for its first test drive. Congrats on an amazing job so far. Thats alot of welding. Alot.:shock:

Posty Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:33 am

I had to do some fiddling with the chassis legs well moving them abit to get it right. Welded in the passenger door and after much wrestling and measuring the front panel is on ;D.

It's almost like a real van now :D. The top of the A-posts and the upper split bit are toast but were fine to line it up until the new roof goes on.

Another feel good shot.

I even throw some of the panels that I have in so it would look the part...

It feels great to have it look like a real van again... Thats it for now. I'm off out to the Pub for lots of dirty pints.

JSMskater Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:00 pm

all i can say is... holy shit.

thats some serious work man.

btw, what welder are you using for all this?!

draginwagen Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:47 pm

JSMskater wrote: all i can say is... holy shit.

thats some serious work man.

x2. Keep the pictures coming.