TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Very rotten Split panel. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
GostaBerling Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:29 pm

You are a god amongst men, for you have the power to resurrect the long dead.

Great build!

cacadoodledoo123 Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Wow! You can't get much rare than an Irish RHD Barn Door Panel Van :) And one with such a history too!

I admire your commitment. Also, I'm glad you're going to keep the original colour scheme. This is one of those vans that should be restored to how it was... None of this narrowed beam crap.

I agree that all vans should be saved, no matter what age, what model, or how rusty they are. These so called "enthuisiasts" that cut up vans that could easily be saved (by a commited person like yourself) should just be shot :D

Keep up the good work!

C.C.C. Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:23 pm

I must've been looking at the wrong bus because I didn't see any barndoor in this thread...

cacadoodledoo123 Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:46 am

Oops my bad. It was late last night and I clearly made a mistake, there's no need to be sarcastic. Plus I'm not a split expert, bays are more my thing :)

jmsmilin Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:38 am

cacadoodledoo123 wrote: Wow! You can't get much rare than an Irish RHD Barn Door Panel Van :) And one with such a history too!

I admire your commitment. Also, I'm glad you're going to keep the original colour scheme. This is one of those vans that should be restored to how it was... None of this narrowed beam crap.
I agree that all vans should be saved, no matter what age, what model, or how rusty they are. These so called "enthuisiasts" that cut up vans that could easily be saved (by a commited person like yourself) should just be shot :D

Keep up the good work! put a narrowed beam in it and slam it on earlies, even it is was actually a barn door which its not

Skim Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 am

cacadoodledoo123 wrote: ... None of this narrowed beam crap.

The hate is strong with this one! :lol:

Dirty Hippie Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:25 am

I see a build like this, and Skims impala build and I wonder why I was afraid of a little rust in my quarter panels on my '61 'vert. It's amazing what people can do. I wish I had a small percentage of the skills some of you have. I can't wait to see it finished. :D

cacadoodledoo123 Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Skim wrote: cacadoodledoo123 wrote: ... None of this narrowed beam crap.

I just think narrowed beams look wrong. There's too much space within the arches or something.

Each to his own :)

OTO X58 Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:36 pm

cacadoodledoo123 wrote: Skim wrote: cacadoodledoo123 wrote: ... None of this narrowed beam crap.

I just think narrowed beams look wrong. There's too much space within the arches or something.

Each to his own :)

I somewhat agree. When beams are too narrow, they just look weird. Especially when you get teh Houdini beam look going, where the front wheel disappears when you look at the car from a 3/4 angle. LOL But when they're only narrowed enough to make the front wheels fit, they're cool. 3 or 4 inch is the furthest I would ever go with a beam.

Again, that is just my opinion.

tstracy39 Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:49 pm

You might benefit from an air compressor and bead blaster. There's enough rust in confined spaces to save a lot of time if you used media blasting instead of grinding and it would get more of it out of the tight spaces. Plus a compressor would be handy when it's time to spray layer after layer of primer all over everything. Interesting how even good donor panels are hard to find and need a patch or two here and there. The other guys here might suggest bringing it to a blasting outfit once it's all solid to get it all the way to bare, clean metal before painting. Thanks for saving a piece of history that would have otherwise been lost forever

GreenMeanie Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:47 pm

How will you stop the rust that is left on the bus?

'64cal lookdub Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:48 pm

Thats wild!

Stuggi Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:37 am

How is it coming along?

RAMZROD Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:58 pm

From what this bus came from to where it is going, he can do whatever he wants whether people agree with it or not. The ones saying what others should do or not are usually the ones that don't do anything in the first place! Props on the build bro regardless of "other" people's ideologies...

It's one more saved that you or someone else can enjoy...in whatever form.

deluxekombi67 Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:45 pm

cacadoodledoo123 wrote: Wow! You can't get much rare than an Irish RHD Barn Door Panel Van :) And one with such a history too!

Keep up the good work!

just a side note if it wasnt for some of the so called "enthusiasts" cutting up vans or bugs others wouldnt be able to be saved. How many different bus's are living on in just this bus right here once hes done? My one bug alone is put together from parts of over 16 different bugs(and countin)...i would have loved to save them all but its not relistic in some cases...and its the only way to get used OG metal....just my 2cents

so-calvwdude Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Man that is awseome! When i saw the first pics i was thinking it would fall apart if you touched it. Great work!

my65rhd Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:10 pm

GREAT resto pics. It's coming along great. Awesome work....Kyle

estofer Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Nice work - looking very nice!!

tatersgravy Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:24 am

:shock: ......."WOW" it makes me tired just watching, keep up the effort!

Posty Thu May 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Well I'm back doing a few bits on the bus after a long break. Its still so daunting its been hard to know where to start. I have taken the front panel back off to sort out the mess that is forward of the bulkhead.

Heres what the bulkhead looked like at the beginning.
Nasty

John knightley donated a donar bulkhead but I had to make the very bottom of it. Thanks John Its a weird shape to have to make.

All better or mostly better

I have had to do alot of repair in this area bt its starting to come together.

I had removed the top of the toolbox section to repair everything below it. This is all that was worth keeping.

The floor under the tool box section fabbed from cheap cargo floor repair panels.

I had to make the edges and bottom of this panel before fitting it.

Nice to think my spare wheel won't fall out now.

Thats all for now but I'm getting back into it now so there will be updates soon. :shock: