TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How to post an avatar (profile picture) Page: 1, 2  Next
dbcox Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:13 pm

I searched but didnt find what i needed. How do i post an avatar? i have a few pics i would like to make one for on here

Moderator notes:
The avatar is uploaded via your Control Panel on the site.
There is a link in the upper-left of the site, if you are logged in.
Direct Control Panel link

If you can't figure out how to resize or add it, email the full size photo to Everett at [email protected] and I will add it for you.

glutamodo Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:25 pm

You'll need to resize the picture with a photo editing program, then you can upload it - its the very last option on your Control Panel page.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile

Your photo will have to be under 100x100 pixels and less than 8KB total file size.

For photo editing and resizing, I use a french freeware program called PhotoFiltre, myself. A lot of people use some version or other of PhotoShop.

And here's a thread that talks about photo resizing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

Russ Wolfe Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:31 pm

And The Gimp is a good phote manipulation program.
Best thing, it is free. Almost as good as Photoshop.

Van-go108 Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Get a free photobucket.com account. There is a feature that will size it to "avatar" size.

busfreak_71 Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:16 pm

You could also upload the picture, if it is VW related, to the gallery. Then use the thumbnail for an avatar. :)

nice-diver Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:33 pm

i used the thumbnail url from my flickr.com site into "the pic from a website" under the download from your computer line

my infranview wouldn't work for me

EverettB Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:51 am

busfreak_71 wrote: You could also upload the picture, if it is VW related, to the gallery. Then use the thumbnail for an avatar. :)

I thought I would expand on this, especially since now the Gallery has larger thumbnails, ones that are too large to use as avatars.

To grab an avatar-size image from a Gallery entry, click on the Gallery photo so that all you see in your browser is the photo.
The web address in your browser will be something like this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/794468.jpg
The small thumbnail address, the one you could use for an avatar will be:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/thumbnails/794468.jpg
Example:

You have to add the thumbnails address in the address to access the smaller image.

You can use that address in your Control Panel to add the image to your profile. Enter the address in this box in your Control Panel:
Upload Avatar from a URL

brandt Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:49 pm

I just figured out how to do this on Picasa.

Choose your photo.
Save a copy.
select the copy.
Under File click Export to folder
resize to 100.

Then just browse from the upload from machine and choose the resized image.

Nazeem Duren Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:38 am

I tried to upload an avatar for about 4 times. It just won't work....... what shall i do? It's 100*100 px alright.

Glenn Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:41 am

Nazeem Duren wrote: I tried to upload an avatar for about 4 times. It just won't work....... what shall i do? It's 100*100 px alright.
I bet it's size is too large.

EverettB Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:52 am

Glenn wrote: Nazeem Duren wrote: I tried to upload an avatar for about 4 times. It just won't work....... what shall i do? It's 100*100 px alright.
I bet it's size is too large.
Yes, check the file size on disk.

You may have to do a "Save As..." in your image program and change the JPG compression ratio. I use 85% in the program I have. This is 15% compression, in case your program uses a different sort of scale.

Or email it me at [email protected] and I can add it for you.

Nazeem Duren Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Yeah got it. Size was the problem :D

DubStyle Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 pm

In photoshop I've got the image down to 80x80 and low quality and it's still to large for an av. :?

EverettB Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 pm

I believe in Photoshop you want to do a "Save for Web..." in order to get it to a reasonable size.

DubStyle Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:08 am

EverettB wrote: I believe in Photoshop you want to do a "Save for Web..." in order to get it to a reasonable size.

Thank Ev! I've been trying to change my Av for a while now. I leave it and then I try it and then I get frustrated and leave it. Not that I want to forget HBB, but just something new.

DubStyle Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Rock on Ev! Thank you again.

vinnie1962 Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:31 am

resized resized and resized, now down to 10.1kb and its still saying it needs to be less than 12kb.... eeerrrr well it is. So why wont it up load ?

EverettB Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 am

Not sure but feel free to email it to me...

vinnie1962 Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Went back to it today and indeed it still said size 10.1 but it also said size on disc 16kb.
dont know what all this is about but I resized again untill i got it to size on disc 12kb and it uploaded fine although looking a little small.

Ive been sold that size doesn't matter many times so all is good :lol:

Thanks anyway EverettB

gcarver Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:09 am

I can get the photos to 100x100 pixels, but 76kb is the smallest I can compress, I haven't tried the save as tip that I just read. If that doesn't work , I will email it.
Thanks again