TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: prepping buggy for street use
pyr8willy Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Have a question. I live in Ventura CA and Im making a buggy. I originally bought a 74 std bug and am using the pans from that, the body is new. Does anyone know what has to be done to make this street legal. Can I run the old Bug title with it, or do I have to go thru the DMV.
ANY hepl.... Thanx

5150 vw Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:58 pm

Go to DMV right now and get it registered as a 74 bug. Doing this will help avoid registering as a special construction (smog required). Ventura, Oxnard and Thousand Oaks DMVs are fairly clueless when trying to register a buggy. Good luck. P.M. for more info.

sturgeongeneral Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Keep the 74 registration current. No need to even mention buggy to them. Street legal is lights, turn signals, windshield wipers, horn, mirrors, and seat belts.

Glasser Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:50 pm

Not sure that this helps but up here in Canada anything that the original car had you must have on your car. For example early beetles had no back up lights. If your pan is from a car that didn't have back up lights you don't require them.
I must comply to everything a 1960 beetle had from the factory.
Best to check yourself in your area.
Do your Home work!!! Again up here if you try to pass an inspection and fail they can trace this with the VIN. So until you pass you will never get registration. You are best not to be put into this situation. I know of one case where the car was inspected and failed. A pan with clean registration (and currently registered) was found that was being destroyed. With new VIN in place it was registered as a beetle. But I question if something happens are you covered?

darkdune Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm also in canada, I went to the DMV, and got the body type changed to "DB" and then got it certified at a local shop.

My ownership is very true, it reads 1965 VW BTL DB

ManxBug Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Glasser in Alberta, registration does not affect insurance. You are covered as long as your insurance knows what you have. My insurance company even knows that I have it registered as a Beetle.

As for registration, we are fine as long as we don't need an out of province inspection. Any licensed mechanic can give you a safety inspection if you are asked for one. I had a pink slip from the 70's to prove my buggy was an Alberta car even though it was not on their system. All I needed was a safety a friend (mechanic) passed. (I don't have wipers)

90volts Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:25 am

in my experience insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying. i wouldn't put it past them to deny coverage because it is not registered properly. even if the local rep says they know what it is.

there is a recent story here about a guy in a modified 50s chevy that was broadsided. he was not at all at fault as the police report specified the other driver ran a red light. but the police did write him up on a registration issue. he was registered as a 50 something chevy instead of a modified ( engine swap). he thought nothing of it until he found out he was being sued by the driver who hit him!

an unscrupulous lawyer saw the blurb in the paper of the accident and saw the car not being registered properly and took the case for a percentage so it didn't cost the driver in the wrong anything. the guy with the chevy lost practically everything. because 'technically' since the car was not legally registered properly it should not have been on the road in the first place. so anything after that is a moot point. very sad stuff.

and most of us here i would guess are not registered perfectly legal. but you just need to be aware that there are horror stories and worst case scenarios. it doesn't happen to 99.9% of us but if it is you , your world could be made into hell on earth.

Glasser Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:02 am

Yes I am getting confused with registration and insurance but as 90volts has shown if you try and beat the system they will get you. It is hard enough collecting with proper registration and insurance if something happens.
I am registered as a dune buggy and insured as one. My insurance is basses off of my appraised value.

Augie Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:49 am

90volts wrote: in my experience insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying. i wouldn't put it past them to deny coverage because it is not registered properly. even if the local rep says they know what it is.

there is a recent story here about a guy in a modified 50s chevy that was broadsided. he was not at all at fault as the police report specified the other driver ran a red light. but the police did write him up on a registration issue. he was registered as a 50 something chevy instead of a modified ( engine swap). he thought nothing of it until he found out he was being sued by the driver who hit him!

an unscrupulous lawyer saw the blurb in the paper of the accident and saw the car not being registered properly and took the case for a percentage so it didn't cost the driver in the wrong anything. the guy with the chevy lost practically everything. because 'technically' since the car was not legally registered properly it should not have been on the road in the first place. so anything after that is a moot point. very sad stuff.

and most of us here i would guess are not registered perfectly legal. but you just need to be aware that there are horror stories and worst case scenarios. it doesn't happen to 99.9% of us but if it is you , your world could be made into hell on earth.

Is there any other kind of lawyer? This story makes me sad

ManxBug Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:51 pm

I'm appraised to and insured on that appraisal. Different country different laws.

dunebuggydave Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Im in TX and think I am going to register my buggy as an antique....kewl little loop hole...if registered as an antique in TX you are not required to get an inspection. Of course there are other stipulations or rules your suppose to follow but they almost impossible to enforce.