TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone ever try this?
mecaknupp Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:00 pm

Well I got my chassis and body back yesterday. Originally to have new pans cut in but had more problems. The chassis was cut in the wrong place, had some cracks and the metal under the tunnel was cut out. My question is the new pans are awfully flimsy so i am planning to cut some 16g sheetmetal the shape of the pans and cover the existing floor and tack it in. Plus it will give more strength to my seat mounts. What do yall think?

Dale M. Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 pm

I think if you plate over pans with more metal you are going to have a wonderful place for rust to form and totally destroy all your hard work...

Dale

darkdune Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm

do it right the first time

wythac Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm thinking that unless it is drilled and spot welded in many places to attach it to the underlying layer, it has a strong likelyhood of squeaking like Tweety Bird when you drive it. These pans flex, more so in a buggy because the Beetle body is not there to tie the corners together.

vdubyah73 Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:15 am

Run some square tubing under the perimeter of the floor pan. Everything will stiffen up considerably when its all together.

lostinbaja Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:46 am

Aftermarket pans stiffen up when you bolt the body to them. Once bolted together you will be able to jump up and down inside the buggy without a problem.

kustoms Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:58 am

Original pans are not flimsy and they look better. They are stamped with ribs to stiffen them.

mecaknupp Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:23 am

well I was going to coat the entire new pan first then lay the metal over it. Guess I'll try looking a doing from the bottom

90volts Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:03 am

sounds like the work was done by someone else? take it back and discuss it with them. if you're going to weld plate over it, why not just cut the pans out and weld a single piece? diamond plate has been done. stiff and looks good i think.

CoryN Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:41 am

Could you cut out the original floorboards leaving like an inch around the outside perimeter, leaving the outside channel and then weld in a new sheet metal floor to that?

That is kind of what I have been planning to do. Or is that a bad idea?

kustoms Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Gossamer wrote: Could you cut out the original floorboards leaving like an inch around the outside perimeter, leaving the outside channel and then weld in a new sheet metal floor to that?

That is kind of what I have been planning to do. Or is that a bad idea?
Yes, The tunnel has a lip on it that the pans are welded to. Simply use an air hammer and shave the old welds off. When you start the job you will realize how easy it is and actually be embarrassed that you asked this question. :D

mecaknupp Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:31 am

Yea, now i see that. I know the body gives it strenght. Hated to think i spent all that money already but live and learn. Going to strip off the rest of it today and get it ready to spray the liner on.

Elwood Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Brazillian pans suck, they aren't even the right size.
Once they are bolted to something solid they do have a little flex still.