TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Please Upload Your Photos To The Samba Gallery... Why? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Skim Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:04 pm

I know that a lot of people like using image hosting sites such as photobucket, imageshack, tiny pic etc but many people who browse the site from work places can not see pics hosted through photo hosting sites because of the firewall that companies put up to block them so most of the pics either dont show up at all or leave a red X.

Now many might say "You should be working anyways" yes this is true but it would help to be able to see during times you get to browse around on the net.

TheSamba makes it very fortunate for us to have its own image hosting program where a lot of websites do not have this option. Its just as easy as using photobucket and you get your own gallery of all of your own pics right in your profile. Many of our older registered members use this but I have noticed a lot of the newer members do not use the gallery feature. Please take the time out to start using this tool. As Busciobatisti says, "Its amazing!"

Please see:
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

BooB Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Just logged in will have to load some pics of my superbeetle. Thanks BTW amazing site 8)

draginwagen Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:10 pm

Good idea to tell everyone Skim. That would make it alot easier if everyone had there pictures on here.

Skim Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:11 pm

draginwagen wrote: Good idea to tell everyone Skim. That would make it alot easier.

Yes and Ev has a sticky at the top of this page in detail how to post pics.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

even has a video that shows how to do it 8)

draginwagen Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Skim wrote: draginwagen wrote: Good idea to tell everyone Skim. That would make it alot easier.

Cant get any easier than that!

draginwagen Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:19 pm

From another sticky.

coad wrote: When you post photos of cars, shows, whatever, PLEASE consider posting the photos in the Gallery here on the Samba instead of just posting links to some web hosting site.

There are so many threads full of dead or broken links these days that the threads just become worthless.

If you post them in the Gallery they are here forever. Not only that, but in the Gallery users can search for photos so much easier than they can in the forums.

I know it's more work, but it's worth it.

Thanks.

BooB Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:25 pm

Very helpful , dragin wagin. thanks a bunch

David Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:34 pm

Testing a pic I uploaded.
I'll upload more later.

VWsArent4Hippies Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:36 pm

I probably would host more on the samba if I could delete them when i wanted to

draginwagen Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:02 pm

BooB wrote: Very helpful , dragin wagin. thanks a bunch

Dont thank me thank Skim.

Skim Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm

VWsArent4Hippies wrote: I probably would host more on the samba if I could delete them when i wanted to

Very good point. PM Ev. He can delete / edit or maybe at some point possibly make deleting pics accessible by you in the future. I know he has deleted pics of mine in the past after I PM'ed him the links of the photos I didnt want anymore.
I know he more recently added the edit option to edit your descriptions in your pics because it used to not be there a long time ago.

David Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:23 pm

VWsArent4Hippies wrote: I probably would host more on the samba if I could delete them when i wanted to

I'm looking at the photo I just uploaded in the gallery, and there is a 'delete' link between 'edit' and 'move'.
I dunno if this is for a short time after you upload or if it's a newer more permanent thing.

Edit: Found this on the Site History page.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/updates/history.php

August 12, 2007 • Technical - Miscellaneous - Added Elliott Shaker Motors, Inc. postcard to US Dealers & Distributors - OH
• Gallery - Added move functionality so visitors can move their own images between categories, if a mistake is made.
• Gallery - Added delete functionality so visitors have 1 day to delete an image they uploaded, if a mistake is made.

ocdbeetle Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:11 pm

I think what kills it for me is that i'd have to resize all the pics before loading them to Samba...therefore i use photobucket...I don't post a great deal but I'll make sure i dont delete any pics i've posted in samba...well, at least for the next few years anyway... :D

Skim Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:54 pm

On my pics when I go to save them I just hit "Resize to email" and that saves them automatically to the size that is accepted. I know what you are saying though but then again I like to crop all my pics down so I get really good pics.

ocdbeetle Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:03 pm

fair enough...next time i'll look for the "resize" option... :D

volkswagenut Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Skim wrote: VWsArent4Hippies wrote: I probably would host more on the samba if I could delete them when i wanted to

Very good point. PM Ev. He can delete / edit or maybe at some point possibly make deleting pics accessible by you in the future. I know he has deleted pics of mine in the past after I PM'ed him the links of the photos I didnt want anymore.
I know he more recently added the edit option to edit your descriptions in your pics because it used to not be there a long time ago.

Cool , I have wanted to get rid of some pics myself. I wish we could do it and not bother EV. :wink:

Namocsid Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:09 am

draginwagen wrote: Skim wrote: draginwagen wrote: Good idea to tell everyone Skim. That would make it alot easier.

Cant get any easier than that!

Well maybe if they add a button that summons Ev or Jen for a house-call to upload the pics for you... :D

EverettB Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:29 am

The delete is active for only 1 day to allow you to delete mistakes.

In general we do not want people deleting old photos as that can mess up older threads in the Forums when photos go dead.

There are some other reasons as well, PM me if you want details.

DONGKG Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:00 pm

But, sometimes, bigger files of pictures won't be accepted by the gallery at the samba.

EverettB Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:05 pm

If they are too large to upload to the Gallery, then they are probably a hindrance for people to view via their Internet connection.