TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Custom table, stable, not in the way.
jackbombay Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:34 am

My van didn't come with either table, and I'm not so sure I like how they worked anyway, so I made my own, it mounts to the wall on the passenger side of the van and has one steel leg, its pretty stable,works great for prepping food, eating, or running the laptop on, and its never int he way, but you do have to take it down to unfold the lower bed. You can sit at the side away fromt he bech by just sitting on our portable toilet that is not in the pics/vid. That way we don't have to sit side by side when we eat too.

Here it is installed,

Here is where it lives when not in use, on the ceiling

Here is what the brackets look like,

And finally, a youtube vid of the set-up, the rear bracket needs a little grinding, you can see the pin sticks a bit when I was setting it up, but all in all its pretty convienient. The table is held to the ceiling with wing nuts...

Steelhead Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:07 am

A nice piece of engineering! well conceived, well executed. This is exactly why I check out the samba every day.

As for the notion of sitting on a toilet while eating, hmmm...it reminds of the old aphorism that suggested that "the measure of a civilization is the distance between you and your sh**"

MattVW Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:24 am

nice work.

jackbombay Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Steelhead wrote: A nice piece of engineering! well conceived, well executed. This is exactly why I check out the samba every day.

Thanks 8)

Steelhead wrote: As for the notion of sitting on a toilet while eating, hmmm...it reminds of the old aphorism that suggested that "the measure of a civilization is the distance between you and your sh**"

I just read a study that determined that is actually a bell shaped curve, so I'm actually super far advanced, and stuff. :lol: :lol: *end sarcasm* But cab-overs rule.

Plus, our toilet has a real nice courderoy (SP?) cover so NOBODY ever even realizes its a toilet LOL.

zpoole Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:05 am

Nice little setup you got.

1st question - what kind of wood did you use for the table top?

2nd question - Where did you get that gear storage that hangs along the bottom of the seat, does it affect your rear heater if you have one?

Thanks for sharing

jackbombay Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:30 am

zpoole wrote:
1st question - what kind of wood did you use for the table top?

It's 1/2" baltic birch plywood, usually sold in 5'X5' "sheets"

zpoole wrote: 2nd question - Where did you get that gear storage that hangs along the bottom of the seat, does it affect your rear heater if you have one?

The gear bag was made by the previous owner, it is quite handy, but can become a little over full at times because it is so convenient. My van is an 82, air cooled (or was) so no rear heater.