TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: which company did you use to build your garage Page: 1, 2  Next
teufeltito Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:31 am

like the title says. im looking for a garage building company that you guys have had good dealings with. i just want to build a garage big enough to fit a bus and a bug in comfortably so ill have rook enough to work on them. i tried searching on google but came up with a lot of good deals in Britain. maybe you guys have advice?

TeamSpatula Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:17 am

Well, you're probably better off looking around locally...
this is who I used in Raleigh - good guys, but I did have to kinda keep them on task - I paid extra for the taller ground floor, bus-height garage door, etc, and they tried to later put in a regular one...
http://carolinacustombuilders.com/
but I chose them ultimately because they did it all - permits to building to financing, which was nice for me because I'm lazy, but I did pay a little extra for it...
here's a pic from a few years ago

YellowSplittie Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:12 am

Aside from pouring the concrete, I built my own 30x40.

You know exactly what you are getting when you build it yourself. :wink:

66busman Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:02 am

YellowSplittie wrote: Aside from pouring the concrete, I built my own 30x40.

You know exactly what you are getting when you build it yourself. :wink:

X2

My dad and his brother built our shop themselves, only took about 3 months. I think it is 35x25, and it is not a pole barn, rather a gable roofed 2 story garage. I can tell you it can hold our bus, my dad's MGB, and at least 10 motorcycles, with room to work on them all. No clear pictures of it, unfortunately.

Mike Fisher Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:15 am

Meeks Lumber sells 2 or 3 car garage kits.

_monkey_ Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:30 am

TeamSpatula wrote: Well, you're probably better off looking around locally...
this is who I used in Raleigh - good guys, but I did have to kinda keep them on task - I paid extra for the taller ground floor, bus-height garage door, etc, and they tried to later put in a regular one...
but I chose them ultimately because they did it all - permits to building to financing, which was nice for me because I'm lazy, but I did pay a little extra for it...
here's a pic from a few years ago

You got the rumpus room on the second floor. Nice.

TeamSpatula Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:34 am

_monkey_ wrote: TeamSpatula wrote: Well, you're probably better off looking around locally...

You got the rumpus room on the second floor. Nice.
yeah, perfect for pool table, a couple couches, VW toy collection, etc...
too bad it's currently full of my furniture and crap from moving...
:(
but very nice to have that extra space, and didn't add too much on to the cost to have it added...

_monkey_ Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:39 am

As storage space (rather than living space), you pay less tax on it as well.

Bart Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:43 pm

http://www.nationalbarn.com/

turkis-deluxe Thu May 01, 2008 7:52 pm

If you're not going with a pre-built or designed kit it's best to find a local GC to handle the job for you. At least with a local guy you can have it built to the specs you want.

When I had my garage built we had to design it to fit within certain city requirements which included maximum heights and dimensions. Of course my buddy the electrician hooked me up with major outlets and and power all over the place.

Hope this helps.

Vanhag Thu May 01, 2008 9:31 pm

It's so easy to build a stand alone garage that unless I get to cash in my stocks of theSamba.com and get uber rich I'll always build my own. It's a slab, 4 walls, and a roof. The first major building I ever built was a 24X30 garage with an upstairs loft. I couldn't beleive how easy it was. I grabbed a book from the local hardware joing on garages and then contacted a building supply store for the materials. They already had "kits" that included everything you needed even engineered plans (minus instructions). It was like $6000 by the time I got all my electrical in and the garage door opener installed. Every nail, bolt, and shingle was done by myself. I had help standing up the walls and swinging the rafters into place.

If I can do it, most people could too.

teufeltito Fri May 02, 2008 12:49 am

hmmm....i had thought about building it myself but it was more of a fantasy. ill have to look into that a bit more seriously. thanks guys!

durhamfirecaptain Fri May 02, 2008 4:54 am

teufeltito wrote: hmmm....i had thought about building it myself but it was more of a fantasy. ill have to look into that a bit more seriously. thanks guys!

Its so easy even a cave-man can do it

faster Fri May 02, 2008 5:24 pm

I checked out 84 lumber about two years ago which have many garage kits. This one I think was about 25'x32' with everything(nails doors and all). You have to put the slab and electic in yourself and build it. I think the kit was around $5400.00 .

beetleboy58 Fri May 02, 2008 6:17 pm

I built my own too....every rock and every post.

faster Fri May 02, 2008 6:37 pm

beetleboy58 wrote:

I built my own too....every rock and every post.

Thats sweet. Post and beam. Love it. But there`s that one rock that stand`s out your going to fix it right? :D

p horvath Fri May 02, 2008 8:02 pm

i used conestoga out of new holland pa. 24 x 40 pole barn. it went up in 6 hours. very happy with it. at one point i had 5 beetles and a bus in it.

dms Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 pm

Im building a 2 floor garage this year , the Bus will be down below , and the Beetle will be up stairs .
It's a lack of space thing :roll:

VWSwap Thu May 08, 2008 9:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

beetleboy58 Fri May 09, 2008 5:35 am

VWSwap wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Those strawheads dont use cranes..... 8)