TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reduciton Boxes ..Portal Axle ??
March Hare Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 am

1 st I did a search ,,and i may have missed it ( cause there were tons ) but just how do these work what is there function? Are they a better set up than a non reduction rear?? or benifit to running one ? Use too have a Unimog and it a way they seem to remind me of those huge portal axles,,also kinda like the Volvo C303.

mintonman Sun May 04, 2008 8:05 am

Reduction boxes reduce the gearing so our little bus motors have more tork to haul heavy loads. Without reduction boxes your bus would go backwards in 4 gears(1,2,3 & 4) & foward only in revers. This is why you need to flip the ring & pinion in your tranny or switch to a bug or type3 trans if you go to a straight axel set up. I would say keep them if your not going to lower your bus, plan on hauling stuff alot & are not drag racing. :lol:

Bub Sun May 04, 2008 9:15 am

I'll start with: "what he said", and I'll also say this has been covered recently and in the past in great detail- Use the search function and you will find it.

big bus mike Sun May 04, 2008 5:08 pm

The official word on RGB's:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263188&highlight=tranny+gear+ratio

March Hare Sun May 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Thank you did'nt know RGB was the same thig :?

big bus mike Sun May 04, 2008 5:26 pm

RGB = Reduction Gear Box