TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bugshield install --- suggestions, ideas and/or pics PLEASE!
3imo Fri May 09, 2008 6:45 am

http://bugshieldsbydino.com/

I just got my bugshield in the mail. Dean got it to my door fast, safe and beautiful.
This company is super easy to work with, flexible, and fast. Top notch work!!!!

Thanks DINO!!

Now, How do I install it. I did a search and could not find anyone who has tried to hide the bolts on the side.
ANY IDEAS?

Maybe chrome carraige bolts? (if the bolts cannot be hidden)

RaythO Fri May 09, 2008 7:01 am

my bottom bolts are just allen heads and top bolts are my rear view mirrors

Yellermanx Fri May 09, 2008 7:02 am

If they can't be hidden I would probably use stainless button head bolts. They will polish up like chrome without the side effect of rust.

caseydenise Fri May 09, 2008 7:03 am

Mine is held on by two large panhead bolts each side. You just have to pick what you want to use, maybe stainless or something nice. Don't forget to double check what angle you want.

MURZI Fri May 09, 2008 7:33 am

What I did was mark the body where the windshield would go and drill two holes on each side. From there I used LONG carriage head bolts and stuck them through the holes. With nuts holding them in place loosely, take the windshield and slide it down over the head of the bolts. Tighten the bolts and done!

Also, just know that the channel is not centered in the frame and that will affect where you drill your holes. I messed this up on my old car and it moved the windshield up about 1/2 inch.

Jimmler Fri May 09, 2008 7:43 am

If you don't mind me asking, what did Dino's windshield assembly cost you? I'm just about ready to order one. Thanks!

GetPsycho Fri May 09, 2008 9:45 am

I used carraige bolts on mine. I don't remember what size.
The square part of above the shaft of the bolt fit perfectely
into the channel on the windsheild frame. I did have to modify
the bolt head. The channel is not quite centered so I had to
shave a little off of the head with my belt sander. It was real
easy. If you do it, you'll see what I mean. I like the clean look.

3imo Fri May 09, 2008 11:09 am

Murzi and GetPsycho - Thats what I was looking for. Thank you.

I just picked up a couple of carraige bolts and they will slide inside the channel with a little bit of grinding on one side.

This will work perfectly. I will post picks when I get the dash and windshield all together.

GetPsycho Fri May 09, 2008 11:12 am

The "grinding on one side" is exactly what I was talking
about. If you have a stationary belt sander, it works great.
I think I had to take off about an 1/8" on one side. I also
cleaned up the square part. It has a little radius where it
meets the head.

bob cook Fri May 09, 2008 2:13 pm

I used the carriage bolt system this time but if I did it again I will use a flat piece of metal that just slides in the frame about 6" long and drill 2 holes cut the heads off of bolts and weld in holes will give better support and easy to slide on and off if needed

A E Numan Fri May 09, 2008 5:35 pm

Don't use carriage bolts! Use button head bolts. If you you use a carriage bolt with a sqare under the head it can jam in the slot in the back side of the frame. Don't ask me how I found this out. It can make it almost impossible to get the windshield back off.

GetPsycho Sat May 10, 2008 8:25 am

bob cook wrote: I used the carriage bolt system this time but if I did it again I will use a flat piece of metal that just slides in the frame about 6" long and drill 2 holes cut the heads off of bolts and weld in holes will give better support and easy to slide on and off if needed

Know that I think about it, I think that I'll follow this advice on my
next buggy. Trying to slide the windsheild on over 4 bolt heads at
the same time is kinda tricky. Great Idea!!!!

MURZI Sat May 10, 2008 1:20 pm

GOOD I DEAR.

3imo Mon May 12, 2008 6:59 am

Jimmler wrote: If you don't mind me asking, what did Dino's windshield assembly cost you? I'm just about ready to order one. Thanks!

$190.00 brought it to my door here in Alabama. I had an ugly old frame but the local glass shop quoted me $130.00 to cut the glass.

So I told [-o< [-o< the wife [-o< [-o< that I was going :oops: [-o< to place an order. And there was nothing :^o she could do about it [-o< [-o< (if she didn't mind)

After I [-X [-o< got finished [-( :fist: telling her [-o< [-o< like it was, I called Dino. \:D/ :vw: \:D/

elginbuggy Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 pm

I know this is an old thread but does anybody know if Dino is still making windshields? Left voicemail and email but no response.
I need a taller windshield for my Berrien Nostalgia
Any ideas?

sandhopper Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:31 pm

His son is running the shop in his spare time , so just keep trying
As for how to mount them use a T bolt that is used to hold down the toilet fits the channel great

BL3Manx Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:31 am

These will make a cleaner looking, easier to install and also stronger mount.

They only fit the newer frames with the slot shape Dino makes now

Make sure the bars slide freely in the slots and liberally coat them with anti-seize so they don't become frozen and the windshield can't be removed

You loosely install the bars on the sides of the hood/dash at the seam and slide the frame legs down over them then reach in and tighten the nuts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Installation-Mounting-Bra...2735835059

joescoolcustoms Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am

BL3Manx wrote: These will make a cleaner looking, easier to install and also stronger mount.

They only fit the newer frames with the slot shape Dino makes now

Make sure the bars slide freely in the slots and liberally coat them with anti-seize so they don't become frozen and the windshield can't be removed

You loosely install the bars on the sides of the hood/dash at the seam and slide the frame legs down over them then reach in and tighten the nuts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Installation-Mounting-Bra...2735835059

I used to use those on my builds. That abruptly stopped when I needed to take my buggy apart to re-build it for NORRA 2018 Baja race. Even though I painted the flat bar, it rusted just enough that it would not come apart and slide to take the windshield off. I have had this happen on another buggy I am currently rebuilding. I switched to counter sunk SS bolts. Yes you see them from the outside, but I can service them.

jsturtlebuggy Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:23 pm

As Bl3Manx says use a liberal amount of anti-seize on them and round the edge and they will slip out when you need to remove windshield.
I took my Kick Out windshield off after it had been mounted for 10 years without a problem by doing what I did when I installed with the brackets supplied by Meyers Manx. Rounding the edges and anti-seize works for me.

andygere Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:17 pm

I'd have a welding shop fabricate the slide bar out of 316 stainless steel, and still coat it with anti-seize before installing. I can see how just a moderate amount of corrosion could freeze a mild steel bar in place.