TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cast Iron Skillet review with fajitas and pancakes
Jon_slider Fri May 09, 2008 6:09 pm

here is the Lodge !0.5" Cast Iron Skillet
it has replaced both my 2 quart cast iron dutch oven, and my cast iron grill. it will cook eggs and bacon, grill chicken and sausage, and grill pancakes, all with easy cleanup

http://tinyurl.com/6l3lsp
get the lid, its key for cooking potatoes, grilling chicken and veggies, keeping moisture in the food, and keeping splatters out of your van..

I recomend spray cooking oil

here are fajitas with cajun chicken sausage, bell peppers and onions, cooked with the lid on

bisquick pancakes, can be topped with fruit cup of your choice..

cleanup is easy, pour a little water into the skillet after dropping a paper towel on it, wipe around with spatula, repeat
the lid acts as a hotplate, stays hot after cooking the fajitas

dobryan Fri May 09, 2008 6:16 pm

I like it. And I ordered one. :D

Vanagon Nut Fri May 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Yah cast iron is the way to go!

It's pretty much all I use at home, or in the Westy. Though mine isn't as deep as the one shown.

It's a great cooking vessel. One that likely provides a good daily dose of iron! ;)

Neil.

brooklynvan Fri May 09, 2008 8:46 pm

Well I can't compete with Amazon on price (And I know the MSRP is now $19.99 on that pan, not $16.99) but for a little more you can support a local business (Me and my wife) and fellow Vanagon enthusiast.

https://www.thebrooklynkitchen.com/xlsws_php/?c=root&product=L8SK3

we also have the lids just not on the website yet....

wyomingriviera Fri May 09, 2008 9:35 pm

Jon_slider wrote: here are fajitas with cajun chicken sausage, bell peppers and onions, cooked with the lid on

bisquick pancakes, can be topped with fruit cup of your choice..

I love this picture, Thanks!

greenbus pilot Sat May 10, 2008 12:57 am

Boy, that looks good! I'm comin' over to eat! :lol:

Jon_slider Sat May 10, 2008 2:03 pm

On the left is the Cadac Safari Chef grill. It costs $90 and comes with a grill, a wok, and a bbq accessory. It probably has better wind resistance, otoh, heating up all the diffuser shields it uses, requires higher propane flame settings.

By contrast, on the right is a $20 Coleman single burner. I put my cast iron skillet on it, and do just about everything the Safari Chef does, with the exception of the wire grill, which is good for hamburgers and other grease dripping meats.. But the cast iron pan can cook a burger or a steak too..

When I bought the Coleman single burner, at Wally World, I picked up a 20" duffel bag for $10. It holds everything, including spare propane bottle, spatula, cooking spray, the skillet, and food, so if I want to cook outside, a single bag moves everything..

The Cadac also comes with a carry case, though it wont fit the food and spare propane, nor the skillet, but the Cadac has its own grill, albeit not as deep as a skillet, and therefore not as good for cooking eggs, which can run over the edge of the Cadac. I dont like using the ribbed side of the grill, its hard to clean, though the burned lines look fun.

I especially like how compact the Coleman single burner is. With just that unit and a 1 pound propane bottle, I could delay a trip to town when my onboard Westy propane runs out in the middle of cooking a meal.