TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seats in a 69 SQB
RATTRP Sat May 17, 2008 7:17 pm

I recently purchased a 69 SQB auto stick. It has the high back seats with the headrest. I would like low backs in it. Anyone know what seats will work in this application? i.e. bug, ghia, etc...

Russ Wolfe Sat May 17, 2008 7:28 pm

Any T-3 lowbacks will work. And slide right onto the tracks. 67 and back are lowback.
None of the other model VW's seat will fit the tracks on a T-3. And if they did, they would probably sit too low.
BTW, your transmission is not an auto-stick. It is a full automatic transmission. The auto-stick was for the bug only.

blarneyman Sat May 17, 2008 7:30 pm

67 squareback has low back seats and the same rails (I think)

Russ beet me :wink:

RATTRP Sat May 17, 2008 7:36 pm

Hahaha... shows how much I know! Full auto it is then... any feedback on the full auto transmission in the SQB? I had a couple of bugs a long time ago and both were manual. Never heard much about the auto.

roverjosh Sun May 18, 2008 7:13 am

I have an full auto 69 Notch. Love it. Shifts smooth. I have read a lot about the tranny and the common thread I have picked up on is the same with the motor. Check the oil a lot. Change it twice a year. Oh, and I think you are supposed to change the gasket or at least check it each time you change oil. If it is the old cork one, it goes bad if I remember correctly. Russ Wolfe is probably a good resource for info on the tranny

I could be wrong on this, but it can't hurt to change often.
So, what condition are your seats in? Are you going to sell them?

Cheers,

Josh

BSQUARE Sun May 18, 2008 7:15 am

You can also mount different seats on your bases.

burgandysquare Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 am

roverjosh wrote: I have an full auto 69 Notch. Love it. Shifts smooth. I have read a lot about the tranny and the common thread I have picked up on is the same with the motor. Check the oil a lot. Change it twice a year. Oh, and I think you are supposed to change the gasket or at least check it each time you change oil. If it is the old cork one, it goes bad if I remember correctly. Russ Wolfe is probably a good resource for info on the tranny

I could be wrong on this, but it can't hurt to change often.
So, what condition are your seats in? Are you going to sell them?

Cheers,

Josh

I'm thinking of selling mine. Brand new vinyl seats, brand new foam. PM me if interested.