TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Repro. Split and Oval w/ w vert decklids and hella fans Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
jhicken Wed May 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Brezelwerks wrote: just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should do it either.

Why not? Do you find no merit in having the means to help sustain a hobby you love? I don't think we really need to over analyze it. Personally I take comfort that there are folks out that are going above and beyond to support the industry. Even if it's not a financial success, it's good karma.

I supporting it because I hope to see more. With the bloated market of split window cars and early type II's, and the hoarding and gouging of what few vintage parts are left, it's a breath of fresh air to see these so affordable.

As for the price going down, I wouldn't hold your breath. I wouldn't be surprised to see the value go up because the supply will be limited.

-jeffrey

thebucket Wed May 21, 2008 4:03 pm

That sucks. Now everyone will be running one. Is nothing fucking sacred.

Cabriothusiast Wed May 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Somehow, if you seem to dislike the idea of a repro vert lid, oval or split, you are somehow offensive. Kudos to Gary, he has worked hard to make parts that for the most part help in the restoration of cars. That is an accomplishment and is appreciated by the masses.

On the lids...if you have an original (and I mean an original) split vert....you would never use a repro lid when the originals are still around. Its no secret that I have 2 for sale at this moment but rest assured, I have the car for it and I bought 3 to get the best one for my car. Thats how a real restoration is done IMHO. You get the best original metal you can, you hunt, you search, you network and eventually you succeed. Today we want immediate restorations, no drawn out projects. It used to take years to do a car right. Now its a summer and a month or so.

I can see it now, loads of hardtops with vert lids (helps the engine breath!) :D

Good luck to the repro lid folks. It doesnt bother. I have the vert and I would never run a repro lid. They are available. Now when I see one on a resto custom job, I will just be thinking REPRO. What a shame for all those nice custom jobs that tried to use real parts. The OG stock split verts will hold their value because the discount comes at time of sale on the cars with repro stuff added.

No hate mail please, its just an opinion from an enthusiast who has been doing restorations for 2 decades - when repro had yet to be invented by VP Gore!

Brezelwerks Wed May 21, 2008 4:56 pm

jhicken wrote: Brezelwerks wrote: just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should do it either.

Why not? Do you find no merit in having the means to help sustain a hobby you love? I don't think we really need to over analyze it. Personally I take comfort that there are folks out that are going above and beyond to support the industry. Even if it's not a financial success, it's good karma.

I supporting it because I hope to see more. With the bloated market of split window cars and early type II's, and the hoarding and gouging of what few vintage parts are left, it's a breath of fresh air to see these so affordable.

As for the price going down, I wouldn't hold your breath. I wouldn't be surprised to see the value go up because the supply will be limited.

-jeffrey

Actually the small operation here was born out of making a contribution to the hobby in dozens of ways over the years that were never available prior, when larger players couldn't afford/justify taking things to the next level, and we still continue along in that same tradition here everyday, and not every product makes money or is guaranteed to make money in the future. So rest assured, despite running what is a full time business here, I fully understand the humanistic mindset, the ambitions, and the very return on investment you get to realize with your own soul in the process of helping to grow the hobby.

Should Nelson have philanthropic product ideas in mind to assist in the hobby I guess thats some kind of contribution, but I don't see vert decklids or chrome fans being made in Asia as being a philanthropic contribution to the hobby, they are more of an opportunistic swak at chasing the resto-custom and accessories markets. So other than technical merit for pulling it off, I actually don't see any other merit in how these specific products somehow sustain the hobby. Show me pre-55 pans though and then maybe we have a new milestone contribution.

Beyond that, for several other much deeper and more troubling reasons, I'm not a fan of seeing yet more products being outsourced in Asia, instead of them being made here, or by other folk's hands elsewhere that actually own vintage VWs. So no, I don't see the effort as good karma either, nor as a breath of fresh air to combat bloated parts prices, its more like seeing several wrongs trying to make a right somehow, just my opinion of course.

HENRY'S 51 Wed May 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Cabriothusiast wrote: Somehow, if you seem to dislike the idea of a repro vert lid, oval or split, you are somehow offensive. Kudos to Gary, he has worked hard to make parts that for the most part help in the restoration of cars. That is an accomplishment and is appreciated by the masses.

On the lids...if you have an original (and I mean an original) split vert....you would never use a repro lid when the originals are still around. Its no secret that I have 2 for sale at this moment but rest assured, I have the car for it and I bought 3 to get the best one for my car. Thats how a real restoration is done IMHO. You get the best original metal you can, you hunt, you search, you network and eventually you succeed. Today we want immediate restorations, no drawn out projects. It used to take years to do a car right. Now its a summer and a month or so.



I can see it now, loads of hardtops with vert lids (helps the engine breath!) :D

Good luck to the repro lid folks. It doesnt bother. I have the vert and I would never run a repro lid. They are available. Now when I see one on a resto custom job, I will just be thinking REPRO. What a shame for all those nice custom jobs that tried to use real parts. The OG stock split verts will hold their value because the discount comes at time of sale on the cars with repro stuff added.

No hate mail please, its just an opinion from an enthusiast who has been doing restorations for 2 decades - when repro had yet to be invented by VP Gore!

Hate mail on the way......... :o

Cabriothusiast Wed May 21, 2008 4:59 pm

What took you so long!! :D :D

73sports Wed May 21, 2008 5:13 pm

For the people that are doing authentic restorations, nothing but original parts will be accepted. There are plenty of people out there however, who will take an otherwise forgotten split or oval, so they can put the big motor in, and slam it, or what ever else they desire. This is the part for them, they can have the vert lid on a sedan, and won't have to "steal" one away from the purists. Besides if there is enough interest, who knows what else will get repro'd.

Cabriothusiast Wed May 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Barndoor deluxe coming soon!

Wiggy Wed May 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Those people that know, won't fake the funk. A repro is a repro. If somebody wants to run a reproduction piece on their car, to cut down costs on their project, or whatever, thats up to them. I don't view this really as a postive or a negative. No different than JC Whitley selling cheap ass front fenders. Doesn't impact me because I would never buy them for a car I was doing, but if somehow it helps people, and Nelson makes his money back, then great.

The fans look nice though, and I might buy one, since I will be using it in my 356 just to keep the airflow moving in that car since it gets hot as hell.

Ninamashr Wed May 21, 2008 8:17 pm

As far as I'm concerned it's a good thing they are being made. I drive my car alot and I can't tell you how many times I've had near misses with people not seeing my brake lights and almost rear-ending me. I would hate to lose my original decklid like that! What about theft? I'm sure all you guys here would rather loose a $500 repo decklid than a $2000+ original one. I'm definatly going to buy one for my piece of mind. :wink:
I will say this though, i've already seen one auction of a vert decklid that the bidding only reached $710, did'nt make the reserve! It was missing the rain catchers, but, it looked like new...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=270235053909

53 0val Thu May 22, 2008 12:51 pm

Wiggy wrote: Those people that know, won't fake the funk. A repro is a repro. If somebody wants to run a reproduction piece on their car, to cut down costs on their project, or whatever, thats up to them. I don't view this really as a postive or a negative. No different than JC Whitley selling cheap ass front fenders. Doesn't impact me because I would never buy them for a car I was doing, but if somehow it helps people, and Nelson makes his money back, then great.

The fans look nice though, and I might buy one, since I will be using it in my 356 just to keep the airflow moving in that car since it gets hot as hell.

No you won't......................those fans move NO air..........(especially at six volts). :wink:

mightymouse Sat May 24, 2008 7:12 pm

scary thing is... if he is doing them so correct, with rain drains and all....
Two guys do restos side by side, insane perfect in every detail. One has repro lid, one has OG lid. If these are that good, who here would be able to tell? without the owner letting onto it?
none of you. THATS scary to me. i dont mind well done repros. but when they are so good, that 20 years from now you wont be able to tell them apart at swaps, i start to worry.
In my mind, i think, ahhh you will ALWAYS be able to tell in one way or another. we shall see. glad they exist though. lates

Bruce Sun May 25, 2008 12:36 am

Maybe you can't tell, but I can tell the difference just by the photo posted above.

johnshenry Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 am

In now 28 years in the hobby, I have yet to have seen a repro that could not be distinguished from an original..............

53 0val Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 am

johnshenry wrote: In now 28 years in the hobby, I have yet to have seen a repro that could not be distinguished from an original..............

I would agree with that statement, but it takes a well trained eye to get past some of the fakes; and in some cases, those reproductions are a better product than the originals.

jhicken Tue May 27, 2008 10:52 am

Bruce wrote: Maybe you can't tell, but I can tell the difference just by the photo posted above.

What would that difference be Bruce?

-jeffrey

Wiggy Tue May 27, 2008 11:21 am

jhicken wrote: Bruce wrote: Maybe you can't tell, but I can tell the difference just by the photo posted above.

What would that difference be Bruce?

-jeffrey

Hella logo.

jhicken Tue May 27, 2008 11:23 am

I'm talking about the decklids Wiggy...

-jeffrey

Blue Baron Tue May 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Rich's 50 wrote: johnshenry wrote: He should consider making '55 and earlier floorpans and heater channels. From a business perspective, those have probably highest demand....

I agree 100% Me three. My '52 Standard pan is starting to get a little crumbly.

Bruce Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 pm

jhicken wrote: Bruce wrote: Maybe you can't tell, but I can tell the difference just by the photo posted above.

What would that difference be Bruce?

-jeffrey
Now if I posted the difference, the maker might alter his repro, wouldn't he?



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group