TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Repro. Split and Oval w/ w vert decklids and hella fans Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
EMPIFLAKE Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:29 am

splitjunkie wrote: you don't like repro stuff yet you are building a motor with a WW Okrasa REPRO kit.

sounds like you like to pick and choose. :roll: LOL you got me to some degree Im not against all repoped shit Im just saying the car itself! Not to get in to a technical debaite but Okrasa wasent even considered Og back then it was an aftermarket kit! I dont remember one okrasa kit comeing on one vw from the plant!! But my reason for owning a WW kit is the same reason somebody wouldve had back then for buying one and I dont have the 12k it takes today to buy an original aftermarket okrasa kit !! I even said I considered a aftermarket vert decklid but If I can do without I will. The point is things are at a point where people can get crazy repoping to the point that the car itself is worthless!! And thats my real issue in my statement!! But thanks for the kick :lol:

33woodie Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:33 am

EMPIFLAKE wrote: Shit the american car guys are already repoping the whole cars from the 50s ! The thing that scares me is where just one step away from that! and anyone that has a rare vw wont anymore and there goes investment of anykind!. Vert lids, fenders, hoods, quarter panels, split window sections, split dashes, window cranks, even buses panels are being repoped excellent ! Shit you can build a barn door if you wanted it bad enough out of new panels! Why spend 30k and have a ton of rust to deal with shit just get a stamping tool and restamp your chassi right? Well the reason Im in to these cars is there history and the feeling I have inside to say my shit was made in germany at the plant! I agree some things should be produced like heater channels and shit that typically rots! I admit Im considering a repop vert lid for my 54. Only because I just got the WW okrasa kit and Im thinken the rain trays wont clear the filters! But Im thinken of cool mods that can be done first befor I throw 550 at a repop lid! I really dont wanna do it I think its gonna feel like I have a prosthetic or something and to me the Og lid is a big factor in originallity to the car. If anyone has advice on that I woul like to hear it!! :wink: Anyway you cant stop aftermarket its as hard as trying to stop hitler :shock: Just have to live with it I think sooner or later we all have to buy aftermarket if we want to have these cars. Today guys are fixing vws that they just pulled out of a wrecking yard or a forest and those cars need some serious help ! So I think its a toss up!

For sure the new WW carb kit does not fit with the rain tray installed. My buddy has a '57 vert and they are working right now on the modifications needed to allow it to fit with the tray. I am waiting so I can also put the kit in my '57 vert :) As soon as it's figured out, I will let you know what is needed.

Jim

johnshenry Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:34 am

They will never repro the whole Beetle shell. Market is not big enough, tooling costs would be a killer and there are plenty of decent OG bodies going around.

And a trained eye will always be able to spot a repro part.

EMPIFLAKE Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:59 am

johnshenry wrote: They will never repro the whole Beetle shell. Market is not big enough, tooling costs would be a killer and there are plenty of decent OG bodies going around.

And a trained eye will always be able to spot a repro part. Your right in what you say! But the problem still there!. At even this early in the game a guy could Buy a 54 with semas and ribbed doors and have a 50 tommorw! Simple aftermarket split dash and splt window section and all the other stuff to complete the car is avilable now!!and a 53 would be even eaiser even to the traind eye wouldent know trust me! Just because the body is Og dosent mean the car is not a fake :wink: Sure there will always be little details but common certain aftermarket peices are bullshit. I understand when a guy needed a panel because its messed up or rotten! But today guys just buy this shit not to fix but to fake or sell as real! And theres your problem!!

EMPIFLAKE Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 am

33woodie wrote: EMPIFLAKE wrote: Shit the american car guys are already repoping the whole cars from the 50s ! The thing that scares me is where just one step away from that! and anyone that has a rare vw wont anymore and there goes investment of anykind!. Vert lids, fenders, hoods, quarter panels, split window sections, split dashes, window cranks, even buses panels are being repoped excellent ! Shit you can build a barn door if you wanted it bad enough out of new panels! Why spend 30k and have a ton of rust to deal with shit just get a stamping tool and restamp your chassi right? Well the reason Im in to these cars is there history and the feeling I have inside to say my shit was made in germany at the plant! I agree some things should be produced like heater channels and shit that typically rots! I admit Im considering a repop vert lid for my 54. Only because I just got the WW okrasa kit and Im thinken the rain trays wont clear the filters! But Im thinken of cool mods that can be done first befor I throw 550 at a repop lid! I really dont wanna do it I think its gonna feel like I have a prosthetic or something and to me the Og lid is a big factor in originallity to the car. If anyone has advice on that I woul like to hear it!! :wink: Anyway you cant stop aftermarket its as hard as trying to stop hitler :shock: Just have to live with it I think sooner or later we all have to buy aftermarket if we want to have these cars. Today guys are fixing vws that they just pulled out of a wrecking yard or a forest and those cars need some serious help ! So I think its a toss up!

For sure the new WW carb kit does not fit with the rain tray installed. My buddy has a '57 vert and they are working right now on the modifications needed to allow it to fit with the tray. I am waiting so I can also put the kit in my '57 vert :) As soon as it's figured out, I will let you know what is needed.

Jim Thanks alot I would really appericate that!! :D

73sports Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:27 pm

EMPIFLAKE wrote: johnshenry wrote: They will never repro the whole Beetle shell. Market is not big enough, tooling costs would be a killer and there are plenty of decent OG bodies going around.

And a trained eye will always be able to spot a repro part. Your right in what you say! But the problem still there!. At even this early in the game a guy could Buy a 54 with semas and ribbed doors and have a 50 tommorw! Simple aftermarket split dash and splt window section and all the other stuff to complete the car is avilable now!!and a 53 would be even eaiser even to the traind eye wouldent know trust me! Just because the body is Og dosent mean the car is not a fake :wink: Sure there will always be little details but common certain aftermarket peices are bullshit. I understand when a guy needed a panel because its messed up or rotten! But today guys just buy this shit not to fix but to fake or sell as real! And theres your problem!!

I'm not sure I understand your problem with the repro parts. Someone could combine a 53 or 54 shell with OG 50 parts and make on "original" split without using any repro parts. This would be criminal, the same as using repro parts to make an "original" car. I just don't see repro parts being the cause of fake or misrepresented cars. Crooks are crooks, and they will be out there in the world regardless. I think more often than not the seller of a car would be honest and tell when the decklid or whatever else is not original.

nlorntson Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:06 pm

I think the thing that will always allow us to differentiate real cars from fake is the documentation around the history of the car. Things like photos, DMV and registration records, birth certificates, repair records, etc. not only tell a story about the car but can also confirm alot that is found during a restoration. Of course some of the documentation could be faked, but it's getting harder to photoshop a polaroid :lol:

I've always considered a car with documented provenence more valuable than one of better condition without.

I'm very fortunate that the previous owner of our 49 felt the same way and had collected original pictures, and all DMV records from the day it went into service. Maybe some of you will recognize this picture of our car


banana split Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Here's the photo :


EMPIFLAKE Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 pm

73sports wrote: EMPIFLAKE wrote: johnshenry wrote: They will never repro the whole Beetle shell. Market is not big enough, tooling costs would be a killer and there are plenty of decent OG bodies going around.

And a trained eye will always be able to spot a repro part. Your right in what you say! But the problem still there!. At even this early in the game a guy could Buy a 54 with semas and ribbed doors and have a 50 tommorw! Simple aftermarket split dash and splt window section and all the other stuff to complete the car is avilable now!!and a 53 would be even eaiser even to the traind eye wouldent know trust me! Just because the body is Og dosent mean the car is not a fake :wink: Sure there will always be little details but common certain aftermarket peices are bullshit. I understand when a guy needed a panel because its messed up or rotten! But today guys just buy this shit not to fix but to fake or sell as real! And theres your problem!!

I'm not sure I understand your problem with the repro parts. Someone could combine a 53 or 54 shell with OG 50 parts and make on "original" split without using any repro parts. This would be criminal, the same as using repro parts to make an "original" car. I just don't see repro parts being the cause of fake or misrepresented cars. Crooks are crooks, and they will be out there in the world regardless. I think more often than not the seller of a car would be honest and tell when the decklid or whatever else is not original. I think you missed my point! Sure they can do it with og parts! If you can find them. My point is that people repoping complete split dashes and rear split sections make a little more eaiser to fake the funk dont you think :idea: :roll:

volksfahrer.nl Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:51 am

johnshenry wrote: They will never repro the whole Beetle shell. Market is not big enough, tooling costs would be a killer and there are plenty of decent OG bodies going around.

And a trained eye will always be able to spot a repro part.

If so, then how come Gerson is very close to offering a 100% new bus?
I know it might be easier to get a decent bug-body then a barndoor but then again; how big is the barndoormarket to cover the costs.

Gerson Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:30 am

actually I make complete Barndoor bus bodies now..... :D :D :D and Im working on my split repro parts as we speak...... :D :D :D

EMPIFLAKE Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:08 am

volksfahrer.nl wrote: johnshenry wrote: They will never repro the whole Beetle shell. Market is not big enough, tooling costs would be a killer and there are plenty of decent OG bodies going around.

And a trained eye will always be able to spot a repro part.

If so, then how come Gerson is very close to offering a 100% new bus?
I know it might be easier to get a decent bug-body then a barndoor but then again; how big is the barndoormarket to cover the costs. I guess the costs arent big enough You cant even put a 23 window barn door on the rare list anymore :roll: Hey where theres money to be made it will be and I have to say it looks good but your faken the funk!!! example A of everything I talked about earlier !! THE IMPOSTER BUS!!


EMPIFLAKE Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:40 am

Heres the vin # 1-20091954 :lol:
NOT MADE IN GERMANY

sethm Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:28 am

I can appreciate the concern with people faking the funk and then trying to pass their impostor off as OG, that is something I would definitely take issue with. But, I have no problem with the repro parts or repro Barndoor Bus biz.

I'll take one of these fake Barndoor buses any day of the week. I'll take a repro W deck lid any day of the week. Not to mention all the goodies that Kafer Nostalgic and Split Parts Unlimited puts out.

The effort and passion that it takes to repro these parts is probably more than the original builders in Wolfsburg put into making the originals and that adds to the car and the hobby. My two cents

petevdub Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:28 pm

sethm wrote:

I'll take one of these fake Barndoor buses any day of the week.

Me too....... :D

Patty B. Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:43 pm

This is a 100% new bodied bus????


And I can make it up anyway I want????

When I win a lottery I'll be calling---count on it!!

Gerson Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:57 pm

that bus is 80% new, and yes you can have it any way you want it.... :D :D ...double door, walk thru, LHD, RHD, Behr scoop, etc.etc.etc....

Louis Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:09 pm

gerson!!!
you are freaking awesome!!!

kinda VW saver!!

save my oval fenders!! i need them!!!

cheers!

Brezelwerks Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:47 am

Cool, soon I can make one of these happen for hauling my vintage scooters and make everyone think I cut up a split!


jhicken Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:52 am

Nice! The funny thing is that trailer looks nicer that the car towing it!

-jeffrey



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group