TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Just Bought a '69 Convertible
69calibug Fri May 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Finally, I own one. I've wanted a convertible since before I was of driving age, and this one just fell into my lap. I decided to be brave and drive this one home for some reason. It sat for maybe 1.5 years in a garage, and it needs some love before I put miles on it. At first I thought it was a typical brake issue, but there is some serious clunking coming from the back of the car on certain sharp turns, and what seems like a wheel bearing issue. Some idiot cut out the support channels, something I didn't notice until I had paid for the car. :? But I'm happy enough with the car that I'm not too mad that I'll have to drop a chunk of change to get them repaired properly. It's pretty solid by New York standards, and I have enough parts in my stash to get it looking and driving great very soon. It runs like a top! Tomorrow I'll be doing the usual maintenance stuff, adding some good trim bits, and cleaning it up. OG mirrors are on the way, so I can take those wobbly plastic ones and smash them to bits, so nobody can ever install them on a Beetle again. The tires are downright dangerous so some new whitewalls are on the list. There is a window/top fit issue (don't know where to start there) so it shall reside in the garage for now. As usual, I'm already looking to spend way more than I thought on the car, but I already love it.

Some crappy pics from last month:

Does anyone know what color this is, if it's even factory? It looks darker than Yukon yellow. I need to replace some dash parts, as the blue ones aren't going to cut it. :P

tuna Sat May 24, 2008 12:17 am

Nice vert!!

Are you sure it's a '69? It might be a '70 model year, as the front signals are the '70 and later versions. The front turn signals might not be originals, as the antenna in the front quarter panel isn't original either, so the antenna and the mirrors mean the car isn't all original.

Got the VIN handy? Post it and we can tell you what year it is

Tuna

69calibug Sat May 24, 2008 12:31 am

159433225, December '68 from what I've found. It's rare that Beetles in this part of the country have original fenders unfortunately. I've been looking for an OG front fender to go with the other 3 good ones for my other '69 for years locally, with no luck. I'm going to see if there is a possibility of installing original turn signals, depending on what went on with the paintwork. Otherwise I will have to live with them. I don't know whats going on with the antenna. I just wish someone hadn't drilled holes to install those mirrors. :(

wcfvw69 Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 am

Your going to love your new vert! But to be honest you might not like what it does to your wallet. :lol: Here is mine after far too much $ was spent.

Make sure you inspect under the rear seat and the luggage shelf. Mine was gone along with the support rails, heater channels, etc. Verts are known for there rust issues and it's best to pull your carpet to check the pans, heater channels, etc closely to insure the car is structurally sound.

Good luck!

69calibug Sun May 25, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks. I took some "before" pictures yesterday. I detailed the outside, replaced some chrome parts, and I've started on the interior of the car. It looks much better, I'll take new pictures tomorrow.