TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fresh Air Fan Electric Motor - Video Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
66foot Mon May 26, 2008 11:44 pm

Turn your speakers to mid-volume and enjoy the new video that may be helpful if you need to work on your Fresh Air Fan Electric Motor...

This video demonstrates how to disassemble, clean, service, and reassemble the electric motor found in the Fresh Air Box of the 1971 and 1972 Super Beetle, and the 1971, 1972, and 1973 Type 3.

Sequel to the earlier box office hit, "1972 Super Beetle Fresh Air Box." The earlier video deals with the removal, cleaning and repair of the Fresh Air Box in a 1972 VW Super Beetle.

Let me know if it needs any tweaks.

Enjoy,

Pat (66foot)

ts88 Tue May 27, 2008 5:59 am

Good job Pat, I think that will help people that have never had to do that job, some of the pic's went by a little fast (air box remove and clean)
Thanks for taking the time to do the vid. Pat in Az

66foot Tue May 27, 2008 7:18 pm

TS88 -

Thanks...

The earlier video was useful for refurbishing the box, but it was missing the motor.

So I found some time to cover the motor.

I found some typos and some conversion errors that I will clean-up and then replace the video.

Theoretically, the previous link should still work after I replace the video.

I am not an electrical person, so if you, or anyone else, notice any errors or omissions, please let me know.

Pat (66foot)

minskbeetle Tue May 27, 2008 7:53 pm

Pat, you're an inspiration! After watching your first video, I decided to take on the disassembly and refurbishing of my fresh air box. Just today I was starting to look for someone that could do my motor, as I'm not really electrically gifted, figured while it was out it should be reconditioned. Now this, your sequel, is a blockbuster smash! After seeing the whole step by step, I'm going to take on the motor myself. Why waste the money paying someone else to do what you've shown me I can handle with a little care and time? I'm going to nominate you for an Oscar for best documentary film in the classic car restoration category :-)

66foot Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 pm

minskbeetle -

I would like to thank the academy....and Jamesdagg....

The revised video is up and running.

Nothing major just some minor corrections and a slightly better video at the end.

Pat (66foot)

jamesdagg Tue May 27, 2008 11:12 pm

That's a great resource now. I really liked the first one but felt it was incomplete without info on the motor. You've covered it all now and the fan air box is one part you cannot buy new.

Most people underestimate the value of this fan and don't realize it can be retro fit into ant Beetle with a non fan air box. '68 up IIRC.

Hey maybe your next video can be on the retro fit. Just needs some mods on the drain hose and wiring. Otherwise bolts right in.

I rigged one to suck hot air from the channels as an experiment.

jim

Bookwus Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 am

Hiya Pat,

Just one word....................excellent!

I bookmaked your videos, and I don't even have a fan in my fresh air box!

66foot Wed May 28, 2008 1:51 pm

Jamesdagg -

Thanks. In a couple of posts I picked up a subtle hint about the earlier video missing the motor. It just took me a little bit to get around to putting it together.

Bookwus -

Thanks. I think that it is time for you to get a fresh air box, just so you can take it apart and put it back together. Like Jamesdagg said, "you cannot buy a new one."

Glad you guys like it.

There is very little on the web about this particular AEG motor.

Pat (66foot)

66foot Wed May 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Bookwus -

Here is your chance to take a fresh air fan apart! Hhhmmm, and hopefully put it back together...

This particular one is 1/3 of the price compared to the one that sold on ebay last week.

Fresh Air Fan

Pat (66foot)

orbitron Wed May 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Umm... retrofit. Into my '68? Pull heat from the channels? Please elaborate. If you've seen this done, please shed some light.

jamesdagg Thu May 29, 2008 1:19 am

orbitron wrote: Umm... retrofit. Into my '68? Pull heat from the channels? Please elaborate. If you've seen this done, please shed some light.

If you have the fresh air box and vents in your hood you can replace it with the fan box. The drain hose requires adapting but it's easy. And of course wiring.

The stock setup does introduce some warm air from the channels via the hard plastic "Y" tube but mixes so much cold air it only improves defrosting by knocking down the humidity of the air stream. Tend to cool off the car though.

However when the fan is off and the control knobs on the dash turned off warm air does flow from the channels to the window.

If you modify the fan box, as in my pic above, to suck from the channels you must plug the air vent in the hood. I simply replaced my hood with a pre '68 that had no vents.

What would be really cool is a cable control and a flap on the hood vent like the old American cars had at one time. Open in summer, closed in winter. Would keep the snow out too.

Can't find a pic of the old car I'm thinking of but this is a new hinged model.

jim

70 GHIA Sat May 31, 2008 2:46 pm

Seems to be a problem with the link.... :(

66foot Sat May 31, 2008 5:42 pm

70 Ghia -

Vimeo is back up and running. The link should work fine now.

Vimeo is located in New York City, and they have had some thunderstorms rolling through this evening. This could be part of the problem.

7:47pm (CT) Correction: The connection is sporadic.

7:54pm (CT) System appears to be working again.

Pat (66foot)

muirfollower Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:54 am

I can't bring up the video at work and do not have internet at home, would any body happen to have any still shots of the motor rebuild. My makes a awful noise after running for a miunte or two. It's suppossed to be a 2 speed but only 1 speed works.

Thanks
Andrew

jamesdagg Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:22 pm

If it has high speed but no low then the resistor attached to the motor is burnt or the wire just broke as mine did. There is a capacitor there as well for noise suppression. Both can be replaced for under $10 but are not exactly the same size so you have to adapt.

The only part of the process that's not pretty obvious is removing the fan from the motor. There is no set screw!! It just pulls off.

Hopefully the squealing can be cured with oil. Mine was.

Try to see the video. It's very helpful.

jim

66foot Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 pm

muirfollower -

The videos are specifically for the fresh air boxes and fan motors in a 1971/1972 Super Beetle, or a 1971/1972 Type 3.

In addition, the videos currently only show one type of motor that was used by VW during these years - the one that is easy to take apart.

I believe that you have a 1973 Super Beetle which is a slightly different configuration. Same concept, just different form factor.

If you still want a couple of photos of the 1971/1972 model, I can post some.

Let me know.

Pat (66foot)

muirfollower Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi ya'll,

went out to my favorite junkyard in town and pulled a used motor for my 73 SB(from a 74) and brought it back to the JY office, and Junior says, "five bucks, you know if it runs." Smiled and I said, "shame we can't bench test it, oh well, looking at $2.50 right? Oh no, we got a live wire right over here...course, it worked....:)

Cusser Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:34 pm

My '71 box no longer contains the electric fan or motor. Anybody ever rig up some other fan/motor to work in this?

oreana123 Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 am

Fantastic!

Request: Please do the wiper motor :lol:

Mr Mootsie Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:04 pm

just dug this up to do my 72 box and motor. Perfect, thanks.