TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Classifieds Ignore List
///Mink Wed May 28, 2008 7:01 pm

Contact EverettB at [email protected] if you have questions about this feature.

Moderator notes regarding this Feature:
In your Control Panel There is a link called Classifieds ignore list.

Everyone on your Classifieds ignore list will:
1. Have their ads blocked when you are browsing the regular classifieds section listings, as well as when searching the classifieds. You do not see their ads.
2. Be excluded from any Classified Alerts you have set up. You do not get alerts about their ads.
3. Not be able to contact you through the "Email this Advertiser" link in your ads. This means you can block certain buyers, if desired. They cannot contact you on your ads.

Add/Remove from your Classifieds ignore list is on the individual user's profile screen.
If you want to ignore a particular user:
Enter one of their ads
Click on their username to enter their profile page
Click on "Add to your classifieds ignore list"

Example:
If I am ignoring EverettB (don't really because he's rad and all his stuff is cheap) because he posts too many Bus parts ads, none of his ads appear when I am browsing the Parts - Type 2/Bus - 1949-67 category.

They will also not appear when you perform a Classifieds search.

If I have an alert set up to get every ad in above category emailed to me, I will not get any emails for ads posted by EverettB

All ads will still appear when viewing the following quick links:
All New Ads
All Recent Ads

* Note that when browsing a particular category, it may say, for example, there are 3000 ads in the category.
If you are ignoring one or more users, the ad count is not adjusted and may seem incorrect as it will still state there are 3000 ads.
Performing a search will report the correct number of ads.
=============================================

Original post:
I've had this thought for a while now - would it be possible to have separate ignore functions for the classifieds and forums? Hear me out - there is a local seller who lists hundreds of ads in the classifieds and when I do a local search, I want to exclude his ads for obvious reasons. However, by ignoring him, he is also not allowed to PM me. I know him personally and don't want to block his PMs (I don't dislike the guy or anything).

EverettB Thu May 29, 2008 11:48 am

This is possible with some work.

Does anyone else this would be a nice to have?

Russ Wolfe Thu May 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I think this would work well.
Ignore a person in the forum, but not in the classifieds.

///Mink Thu May 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: I think this would work well.
Ignore a person in the forum, but not in the classifieds.

Or vice-versa, which is what I'd like to do.

Daniel G Thu May 29, 2008 9:16 pm

I'd be interested in having this feature as well, since there are some people whose ads I really don't want to see when I am searching for stuff in AL, but I don't want to ignore them in the forums....

EverettB Fri May 30, 2008 6:36 pm

Ok, I'll work on it soon.

EverettB Sat May 31, 2008 9:36 pm

Ok, it's up.

To start out with, I added everyone who is in your ignore list into your Classifieds Ignore list so you may want to add/remove people.

Everything is in your Control Panel There is a new link there called Classifieds ignore list.

Add/Remove from your Classifieds ignore list is on the individual user's profile screen, same as the old ignore.

The Forums ignore won't let you ignore moderators or admins. You can ignore their ads in the Classifieds.

///Mink Sat May 31, 2008 10:29 pm

Damn, Everett...you rock.

I fully expected to have to write an envisioning document and then have the idea reviewed by the Project Steering committee, and finally (if approved) have resources and a PM assigned only to have the project eventually canceled. Damn, I need to get out of the corporatosphere. :D

Foxx Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:26 am

///Mink wrote: Damn, Everett...you rock.

I fully expected to have to write an envisioning document and then have the idea reviewed by the Project Steering committee, and finally (if approved) have resources and a PM assigned only to have the project eventually canceled. Damn, I need to get out of the corporatosphere. :D
you still do,..and please no less then 10,000 words... we don't actually read it, but we do recycle.
:lol:

EverettB Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 am

Thank you

Russ Wolfe Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:42 am

Everett for President.
Thank You Everett.

swervyjoe Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:15 am

so this only works on searches?

EverettB Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:31 am

Yes, it's only for searches, not the general listings.

EverettB Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 am

A couple days ago I added:
Anyone on the classifieds ignore list cannot contact you through the "Email this Advertiser" link in your ads.

This means you can block certain buyers, if desired.

EverettB Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:26 am

Now: Everyone on your Classifieds ignore list now has their ads blocked when you are browsing the regular classifieds section listings.

Example:
If I am ignoring EverettB, none of his ads appear when I am browsing the Parts - Type 2/Bus - 1949-67 category.

All ads still appear when viewing the following categories:
All New Ads
All Recent Ads

EverettB Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

Now: Everyone on your Classifieds ignore list will now be excluded from any email Alerts you receive.

Example:
If I am ignoring EverettB and have an alert set up to receive all ads from the Parts - Type 2/Bus - 1949-67 category, I will not get an email for any new ads posted by EverettB in that category.

EmpiGT Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am

Wow. I never used this before but as of lately I got sick of seeing(I wont use the company's name) postings for every new item in thier stock. It made classifieds look like a parts catalog. Thanks so much Ev!