TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Toyota Tundra owners! Engine problems!? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
junior55 Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Toyota Tundra 4.7 i-force v8 let me down at 84k miles.
Cylinder / skirt clearance is excessive after religious oil changings at 3000 mile intervals.
# 7 cylinder rapping at start-up and now never goes away even when warm.
Starts out with a tapping when cold then gets worse until you have to turn the radio up not to hear it.

Started to tap at 60k miles and at 84k is now knocking itself to oblivian.
Toyota says its unheard of and to essentially " go fry a kite !"
"Thats what extended warantees are for".....

$8,000 later I will have my new block installed.

They got me by the barrs on this deal!

Jimmy111 Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:44 pm

What year and where do you live?

junior55 Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:47 pm

03, n-e ohio area.
Have you heard me coming !

beetleboy58 Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Guy up the street had an 02 that started to rap lst year at about 65000. Traded it for a Silverado. 8)

turboblue Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:49 am

beetleboy58 wrote: Guy up the street had an 02 that started to rap lst year at about 65000. Traded it for a Silverado. 8)

That rap from day 1............ :lol:

wsniderokc Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 am

shoulda let me sell you a ford...

Gary Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:20 am

wsniderokc wrote: shoulda let me sell you a ford...

Then he'd have spark plugs blowing out of the passenger head of the Triton engine.

c.davis419 Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:34 am

And transmissions self destructing at 11,000 miles with virtually no towing or anywhere near max payloads... 4 times into the dealer while still under warranty. Dumped that F150 turd at 39,000 miles.

Jimmy111 Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:36 am

I talked to my brother about this. He is the used car manager at a toyota dealer. He said that he hasent heard of this problem yet. He said that there is a problem with the Camery V6. Sludge buildup on the cylinders and heads. But it mainly seems to be caused by people not driving the cars long enough to get them warmed up. He will look in to the V8 for me.

wsniderokc Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 pm

c.davis419 wrote: And transmissions self destructing at 11,000 miles with virtually no towing or anywhere near max payloads... 4 times into the dealer while still under warranty. Dumped that F150 turd at 39,000 miles.

sorry about your experience... not very common in my experience. dealership should have done more to make sure you were happy... did you try asking the store's GM for some guidance with your issue? i can certainly understand why you sold the truck with only 39k on it if this happened to you.

still say the ford is the best truck on the market, though.

55reasons Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:23 pm

www.tundrasolutions.com
or
www.toyotanation.com

do a search, or post the question there.

It IS pretty much unheard of.

That's just bad luck.

55reasons Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:23 pm

wsniderokc wrote: still say the ford is the best truck on the market, though.

:lol: :roll:

turboblue Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 pm

c.davis419 wrote: And transmissions self destructing at 11,000 miles with virtually no towing or anywhere near max payloads... 4 times into the dealer while still under warranty. Dumped that F150 turd at 39,000 miles.

Wife dumped a a near new Z28 years ago with 17K on it for being back at the dealer 6 times and on the hook for 5 of those trips.
It's the same all over...........

c.davis419 Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm sure it is. Everybody has a love/hate relationship with some auto manufacturer. I had 2 Fox body mustangs that ran like swiss watches for years, both 5.0 V8's with 5 speed trannys. I bought the Ford F150 because it had all the options I wanted and was $6,000 less than the next closest priced truck I could find (Silverado). It just really sucked because it was so new and I took such good care of it.

runslikeapenguin Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:30 pm

wsniderokc wrote: c.davis419 wrote: And transmissions self destructing at 11,000 miles with virtually no towing or anywhere near max payloads... 4 times into the dealer while still under warranty. Dumped that F150 turd at 39,000 miles.

sorry about your experience... not very common in my experience. dealership should have done more to make sure you were happy... did you try asking the store's GM for some guidance with your issue? i can certainly understand why you sold the truck with only 39k on it if this happened to you.

still say the ford is the best truck on the market, though.

my friends dad had the same problem happen twice with the transmissions going out, one time it stranded them in Colorado for a week.

junior55 Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:08 am

The issue seems to be related with Toyotas election to go with short skirt pistons because its a four valve but the stroke and torque of this engine
would benefit from a longer skirted piston.

This is what input I am getting from the field. (what field is that)?

Yes, i checked around the toy forums and there is some noise problems but mostly cracked manifolds and other unrelated stuff..
Some "skirt slap when cold" AH HA !

Maybe a mixed blessing that this is not widespread yet as I am biting the bullet on the new short-block.

I have a Toyota case number so if this becomes a global problem you will
see me sending a copy of my invoice to Toyota for a "donation for the cause." The Cause we got fucked.

What goes around comes around so we will see later on as these tundras
rack-up some milage. Thanks for any input!

Mr. Unpopular Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 pm

I knew we'd start hearing of issues with the "all mighty" toyota's once they get up there in age.

Cheapo Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Consumer Reports, who has long been know to think toyota was the shit, fairly recently dropped their "best buy" ratings for all new toyotas until proven in the field. The reason? the Tundra. Just one more reason to buy American.

vdubyah73 Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:39 am

Google "Toyota piston slap", not all that uncommon. Even saw a short article on a voluntary recall.

69 Jim Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:17 am

Cheapo wrote: Consumer Reports, who has long been know to think toyota was the shit, fairly recently dropped their "best buy" ratings for all new toyotas until proven in the field. The reason? the Tundra. Just one more reason to buy American.

It'll take more than that. :roll: