TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My Cheap Daily Driver Baja Project Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
GreeneHoosier Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:25 am

Crippler wrote: runslikeapenguin wrote: keep us posted on how the bed liner paint holds up, people ask alot about that and it would be nice to get a solid idea on how long it lasts before it fades and how easy it is to get off if the time comes.

i painted my motorcycle with duplicolor spray can bedliner. that crap is tough as hell. scratch resistant, gas resistant etc. i havent heard of anyone successfully taking it off though... .might need a jackhammer...

is the herculiner spray on, or brush on?

I rolled this stuff on. It is pretty tough, but it can be scratched. It touches up pretty good with a spray can of flat black. RLAP, I have used this before on a sandrail and it held up well. Good stuff and cheap. It does come off with a grinder, but it leaves a hell of a mess.

motorbreath53 Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:26 pm

this thing is looking cool as hell friend.... and although I don't think the rabbit motor wouldn't keep me happy power wise, its really really cool to see some different ideas for daily driver motors.... (I'm feeling the gas prices... and trying it out as a good excuse to drive my baja more... :D )

keep the pics coming.... and be sure to keep us updated

GreeneHoosier Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Pop-outs, new rubber and new glass. 31 inch mudders added today.

ponyboy88 Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:34 pm

do u think the diesel will have enough low end torque for the baja purpose,

GreeneHoosier Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:42 pm

The diesel pulls 72 ft/lbs at 3k rpm. That should be adequate. I will be doing 65 mph at 3k rpm. Diesel also have a pretty flat torque curve, so it should do OK on the highway and off-road. I also intend to do some improvements to up the hp/torque. Balance the rotating assembly, P and P the heads and some exhaust improvements.

shok Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:34 pm

or turbo it :)

GreeneHoosier Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:21 pm

Here is my hoodpin set-up. Cheap, easy and great adjustability. VERY secure.

Here are my RX-7 seats

Here is my Nardi steering wheel

Here is the Flat-4 Eliminator shifter.

AND....It RUNS....
This is the interim engine until I get done with the rebuild on the 1.8 Diesel. I bought an engine stand at an auction last night for the diesel to rest during the rebuild. This engine is a low mile 1974 DP. Runs great. I need a gas tank, though. They are NOT cheap.

skeeterh Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Very cool idea.
On the rabbit diesel, does that use the same adapter setup as a regular rabbit motor?
What about starter? I imagine it'll take a bit more umph to crank a diesel.

GreeneHoosier Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:44 am

skeeterh wrote: Very cool idea.
On the rabbit diesel, does that use the same adapter setup as a regular rabbit motor?
What about starter? I imagine it'll take a bit more umph to crank a diesel.

Yes, same adapter as a regular rabbit. If I ever need or want ot go to a gas engine or a turbo diesel, it is the same set-up. A turbo diesel would be sweet, so would a 16V GTI engine. But, for now, a diesel is my engine of choice. The reliability and economy are what appeals to me. If I build it right I bet I can get 300k miles out of it and get phenomenal economy and have off road durability. I am not sure about the starter. I am using a big one from the automatic that does not need a bushing. This spins my 1600 like a top. That diesel is pretty little, but I will wait and see. There are lots of high torque starters out there that will do the job, I just do not like the price tag...

bluejeans Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:48 pm

i'm really liking the way your bug's turning out... clean and simple, that's the way i like it.
i'll be interested to hear how the diesel engine works out for you.
good luck

GreeneHoosier Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:18 am

bluejeans wrote: i'm really liking the way your bug's turning out... clean and simple, that's the way i like it.
i'll be interested to hear how the diesel engine works out for you.
good luck

Thanks!

shakira Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:58 pm

nice baja :shock:

btw i have that shifter too <3

GreeneHoosier Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:10 pm

I drove it some today....Pretty slowly... I ruptured a brake line so I had to rely on the parking brake. It was just out in my field, so it was pretty safe. Actually, the parking brake will throw me through the windshield...
Tomorrow is new shocks, new brake line, adjust brakes and bleed brakes. Assuming it is not as hot as it was today. 97 degrees is just too hot for the fat boy to be under the car.

wild man Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:20 pm

anything new? And hows the hurculiner from walmart holding up on the floor. I was gonna have mine rino lined but if I could go a cheaper route that holds up im game.

GreeneHoosier Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Yeah, there is always new stuff. I have put in one new heater channel and cut the other one out. I just have to slide the new one in and weld it in place. It is not really a hard job. A little time consuming, but not too bad when you are doing it to a Baja. If you were restoring one and were concerned about 'correct it would be an issue. I have been driving it off-road around the property and the stuff is holding up good all around. I also got a pop-out sunroof for it. No new pics, nothing too earth shattering, anyway. I also got some spare hinges/rods and interior handles and I am hoping to do some tube doors for it like I have on my 4-Runner. Here are the doors that I hope to duplicate...

No

vaderoni Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:48 pm

I like the hurculiner idea. I first saw that a few weeks ago when I went on a ride-a-long with my cousin, they have a SWAT excursion at their station with that stuff in basically the same pattern and colors yours is. He says the stuff they have is durable as hell, but adds like 200-300 lbs.
Nice baja btw! Good luck on the diesel, I love diesels :P

notsofastEddie Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 pm

every time I look at this thread I like the Herculiner'd lower half more and more. FWIW, I did my floorpans with the stuff when I welded in the new half, and it has held up like a charm. I think maybe the key is just getting it thick enough to be durable, and also sanding down the surface to make sure it gets good adhesion. I may have to try the same treatment on the bottom half of mine, that's just too cool 8)

auslander Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Very nice on the baja

GreeneHoosier Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:53 am

Thanks for the kudos. I cannot wait to get back on the road with this one. It should be a fun, low maintenance reliable vehicle that is cheap to operate.

baja72 Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:38 pm

I have also thought about a Rabbit oil- burner in a bug. I had a Rabbit truck that was a diesel. It would peg the speedo, and it red lined 5500 RPMs(same as stock bug). I think it would work good... no carb or dist. to worry about getting wet.