TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Meet RAT TRAP... my 69 VW SQB
RATTRP Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:10 am

Here are a few pics of my 69' SQB auto... I have always loved VW's (air cooled anyway) and restored two VW bugs in high school. Not hating on the bug crowd, but this go round I wanted something a little more unique! I opted for what you see here in the pics. I am not going for the traditional restore... rather a ratrod motif.

I have always admired the wide white walls, pinstriping, flat black paint, and the red wheels.

I have jumped into my project head first, I figure what the hell... what I cannot figure out I can learn from others mistakes! I started with the exterior pulling dents, scraping out bondo (why does everyone think this is the fix all for everything!) and painting the wheels cherry red. I just started to tackle the interior while I am waiting for a few parts. I have fabricated all of the panels and will be covering them in red/black vinyl within the next couple of weeks. I have all kinds of visions of grandeur... I just have to convince my wife that the car is worth spending the money on!!! I plan on keeping it simple since this is what attracts me to VW's in the first place. I do not care for all of the custom crap, I plan to keep the lines of the car pretty much as they are.

I know she does not look like much right now... but trust me, once she is done she will be a beauty to behold (in my mind anyway). Rat Trap does run, and runs well... I can keep pace with all of the other folks on the road and for a car this old, I would say that is pretty good! So... all in all for $1000.00 cash and $280.00 in gas to pick her up. I am completely tickled with my Rat.

Stay tuned for updates and pictures - and as always... if you have any helpful info, I am all ears!!!

66busman Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:44 am

I've misplaced my microscope, could you post some larger pictures? What I can see looks cool, but I don't see much :wink:

RATTRP Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Dude... you ain't missin much! LOL for whatever reason I cannot get my pictures to post any freakin larger than you see here, which requires you to squint ever so slightly... a little to the left, a tad bit up and possibly you might spot my car!

Skim Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:42 pm

upload them to the samba gallery and they will come out right.

RATTRP Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Alright check this... I uploaded them to the Samba Gallery which is much easier than using that Picassa piece of crap anyway! Like I said... she's a work in progress (more work than progress).

[/img]

RATTRP Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:55 pm

SKIM... are you in DFW area? I have yet to see anyone cruising around in a SQB...

Skim Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:36 pm

Im just out side Denton, about 15 minutes from you

66busman Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Ah, I can see it now. Ditch the whitewalls, and I'd roll it...

staynedglass Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:21 am

66busman wrote: Ah, I can see it now. Ditch the whitewalls, and I'd roll it...

hell no!!. keep the whites and paint that bad boy flat black with some pinstripping. that's a sexy beast no matter how you look at it.

RATTRP Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys... when you sit in the garage staring at this thing day in and day out, I start to think that things look better than they really do.

As far as the whitewalls... man I gotta tell ya that I love em'!!! To each their own, if we were all the same this world would be a boring place. :D

nbtim Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Flat black is getting old, but do stay with a flat color. Even a fresh coat of flat blue might work. Flat blue with a flat white roof?

RATTRP Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:42 pm

I agree that the flat black is gettin' a bit old... but it is pretty hard to screw up such a classic scheme. Know what I mean... :wink:

I am still considering another flat color of some sort, hell I got so much work to do before I get to that part I may change my mind another hundred times!

I have not seen too many rat rod schemed squares... a lot of hood rides, but I consider that a whole other ball game.

I will keep up with the updates so all who give a crap can see the progress (or lack thereof Hahahaha).