TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The spindle saga continues.. need information
41Woodie Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:11 am

Ok, Bearing etc. yielded to superior technology of large hammer. Hub/Drum etc. now off car, races removed. I've never disassembled this part of a thing and the muir book diagrams don't seem to match a thing front end. Muir talks about an inboard spacer which I don't see. He also doesn't mention an outboard spacer, which I do see. The outer bearing is off but the inner won't slip over the spacer which is on the nose of the spindle. Is there a trick to removing this spacer so I can reassemble the parts? Anyone experienced with this? Please offer advise, we're still trying to leave on our trip today. Thanks

41Woodie Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Well no one offered any suggestions so I finally figured it out on my own. What I thought was a spacer turned out to be the outer bearing inner race fused to the spindle. Finally managed to get it off, polished spindle with crocus cloth, installed all new bearings seals etc. and we're back on the ground.

bmwloco Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:30 pm

Hopefully it's all 5 x 5.

I'd offer help, but I've never tread there before. I don't know nuthin'.

But I learn by reading here.

Thanks!

emersonbiggins Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:19 pm

you're welcome.
Sorry I was busy today.

emersonbiggins Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:26 pm

I didn't know until I read some of your other posts that you were having trouble out on the road in the Portland area.

Your location says you are in Oklahoma.

Have a safe trip.