TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mazda Miata? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ocdbeetle Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:31 pm

I don't know anything about Miata's but Can buy a '93 MX-5 for $500...It needs a top, air doesnt work, stereo doesnt work...Automatic transmission and muffler could be questionable...I won't know for sure until I drive it tomorrow...
130k miles
Cranks and idles nicely

I saw a top on ebay for 220.00 but was curious as to pricing for parts otherwise...Is this something I'm going to be able to work on or are they best left for "certified" Mechanics?

It would be just a fun occasional driver for the wife and maybe to work and back (2 miles)...

The red body is not dented although it has been repainted with........metalflake...

It was a trade in at the dealership today so we'll check it out tomorrow...I'll take some pics...For 500 I don't think i could go wrong but I don't want it if its going to be more work than its worth...

-jim

Mr. Electric Wizard Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Shit man, buy it.
If you've got $500 to spare.
I'm sure they get pretty decent mileage.

gzg1406 Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:13 pm

MX5?

....sissy

ocdbeetle Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:31 pm

gzg1406 wrote: MX5?

....sissy

Thats sort of inline with what I was hoping for...some input...but i know so little about them I don't even know why i'm a sissy... :lol: I'll continue googling but wanted the input of my fellow samba brethren...

California Westy Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Ok 58 year old guy here with a 97 MIATA. Mine is a 5 spd. I've owned it since.... well 97. I get about 30 mpg on the hwy but it is a 5spd.

Miatas are usually pretty reliable and all the information you could possibly want is at miatanet.com Also parts available at Moss Motors and about 20 other places.

chickengeorge Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:52 pm

Oooohhh... shit!

If I could fit my fat ass in one, I'd have at least two.

If you can get a hold of a Jackson Racing supercharger, you can eat yourself up some unsuspecting Porchys and Muststinks and stuff. Handling is awesome and the reliability rating they get is top notch. I love it when people get all serious with them. No gingerbread giant wheels and shit. Lightweight 15's a roll bar and some REAL performance goodies. Buy it!!!

Foxx Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:14 pm

ocdbeetle wrote: gzg1406 wrote: MX5?

....sissy

Thats sort of inline with what I was hoping for...some input...but i know so little about them I don't even know why i'm a sissy... :lol: I'll continue googling but wanted the input of my fellow samba brethren...
buy it,..you could make x3 your money back on ebay if you don't like it.

2002sportside Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:16 pm

I had considered one. The early ones handle like the old British sports cars. Except they start everytime, have electrical systems that work, and don't leak oil to let you know there is still some in there. With the following they have parts are available.

EZ Gruv Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:36 pm

///Mink Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:05 pm

Anyone who insults a Miata has never had their ass handed to them mid-corner at 110 mph by a spec Miata.

myzamboni Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:22 pm

///Mink wrote: Anyone who insults a Miata has never had their ass handed to them mid-corner at 110 mph by a spec Miata.

Yeah, it's easy to tell who the track/autocross Miata owners are in Cali . . .because they have to have a rollbar to compete. (and they don't have the rainbow sticker).

///Mink Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 pm

myzamboni wrote:

Yeah, it's easy to tell who the track/autocross Miata owners are in Cali . . .because they have to have a rollbar to compete. (and they don't have the rainbow sticker).

And don't forget the hardtop!

chickengeorge Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Whatever you do, don't search for any Miata clubs on the internet. 99% of them are a bunch of blue-hairs who think the Miata was built for them to take leisurely drives along the countryside. Equally annoying are people who think Miatas are Hondas and should be riced-out accordingly.
Remember:

No...

Yes!

myzamboni Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:03 pm

///Mink wrote: myzamboni wrote:

And don't forget the hardtop!

I meant driving on public roads, but yeah.

Mr. Loaf Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:42 am

Buy it!! I have owned 2 of them, both 1990's and they are great cars. You would be surprised at the performance options that are available. I really think that you can redo the top your self and the muffler is no big deal. Change the fluid on the transmission. Take it to a shop for the AC. Pull the stereo, it could just be a blown fuse. Offer the dealer $450 and get the hell out of there!

Lee. Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:09 am

http://www.gaywheels.com/top_10_researched_vehicles_on_1.htm

chickengeorge Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:24 am

Lee. wrote: http://www.gaywheels.com/top_10_researched_vehicles_on_1.htm
Did you look at the other cars on that list? Two VW's, an Audi, a Dodge Caliber, and the Volvo C30?

Stupid list.

Nobody is going to think you're gay driving this:

They won't even get a chance to see you as you pass them on the outside at twice the posted limit.

Malokin Martin Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:03 am

chickengeorge wrote: Lee. wrote: http://www.gaywheels.com/top_10_researched_vehicles_on_1.htm
Did you look at the other cars on that list? Two VW's, an Audi, a Dodge Caliber, and the Volvo C30?

Stupid list.

They won't even get a chance to see you as you pass them on the outside at twice the posted limit.

Even when they're racing miata's, theres two dudes riding together. HAAAAAAAAAA :lol:

runslikeapenguin Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:15 am

chickengeorge wrote: Lee. wrote: http://www.gaywheels.com/top_10_researched_vehicles_on_1.htm

Stupid list.

those bolt on fender flares look bad ass.

The Sage Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:44 pm

Lee. wrote: http://www.gaywheels.com/top_10_researched_vehicles_on_1.htm

You frequent this one when the wife's away?