TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Here she is - USS New York Page: 1, 2  Next
Neto Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:31 pm

HERE SHE IS:

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept. 9, 2003, 'those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence,' recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. 'It was a spiritual moment for everybody there.Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the 'hair on my neck stood up.' 'It had a big meaning to it for all of us,' he said. 'They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back.'The ship's motto? "Never Forget"

Glenn Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Sweet...

Nice to know the Tower's steel is in the bow.

typesoneandtwo Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Both of my grandfathers were in the Navy, one as an aviator and the other as a frogman. I wonder how they'd view today's events.

beetleboy58 Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:29 pm

What's a frogman?n Never heard that one, just curious.

my65vert Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Pic looks CG to me?

typesoneandtwo Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:42 pm

beetleboy58 wrote: What's a frogman?n Never heard that one, just curious.
Before there were the SEALS
There were "Frogmen".
They were called on to do underwater Special-ops like today's SEALS.
His division was "Underwater Demolitions"
http://www.viewoftherockies.com/UDTWWII.html

69 Jim Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:50 pm

beetleboy58 wrote: What's a frogman?n Never heard that one, just curious.

Jacques Cousteau was one.

ho-dad Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:20 pm

69 Jim wrote: beetleboy58 wrote: What's a frogman?n Never heard that one, just curious.

Jacques Cousteau was one.

So is Aquaman...

Thanks for sharing, Neto, very cool...

runslikeapenguin Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:23 pm

i dont know why but this sets off my bullshit detector. this has been going around the internet in forwards in emails, the pictures look fake and it just seems like something thats just made up,
i may be wrong, it just seems weird.

Foxx Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:38 pm

typesoneandtwo wrote: beetleboy58 wrote: What's a frogman?n Never heard that one, just curious.
Before there were the SEALS
There were "Frogmen".
They were called on to do underwater Special-ops like today's SEALS.
His division was "Underwater Demolitions"
http://www.viewoftherockies.com/UDTWWII.html
also known as UDT
Underwater Demolition Team, my father was one in Korea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_Demolition_Team

Keldog Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:39 pm

eets no bool sheet
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/uss-new-york-wtc.html

Foxx Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:41 pm

runslikeapenguin wrote: i dont know why but this sets off my bullshit detector. this has been going around the internet in forwards in emails, the pictures look fake and it just seems like something thats just made up,
it isn't,..watch the history channel sometime,..you might learn something

google next time, you might not look like an dork.
:lol:
http://www.ussnewyork.com/

blarneyman Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:42 pm

The ship in the pic is not the "new" New York. It is the same type of ship. But the hull number of the USS New York is 21. Whether or not that pic is CG or not, I'm not sure. It could be poor resolution from getting passed through email and stuff. It looks fake to me.

Yellowbeard Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:47 pm

Foxx wrote: runslikeapenguin wrote: i dont know why but this sets off my bullshit detector. this has been going around the internet in forwards in emails, the pictures look fake and it just seems like something thats just made up,
it isn't,..watch the history channel sometime,..you might learn something

google next time, you might not look like an dork.
:lol:
http://www.ussnewyork.com/

No Foxx, he'll still look like a dork. Just a better-informed dork.

wheel607 Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:57 pm

I thought that names of Navy ships were not recycled. My father served on the USS New York just before and during WWII. I was Air Force so know little about Navy, so what gives here???

Yellowbeard Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:01 pm

wheel607 wrote: I thought that names of Navy ships were not recycled. My father served on the USS New York just before and during WWII. I was Air Force so know little about Navy, so what gives here???

The names of many Navy ships are recycled. USS Alabama (BB-60), sitting as a museum at Mobile Bay sharing a name with USS Alabama (SSBN-731), an active duty ballistic missile sub, is one example.

edit: SSBN-731 is the SEVENTH USS Alabama in Navy history.

blarneyman Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:14 pm

wheel607 wrote: I thought that names of Navy ships were not recycled. My father served on the USS New York just before and during WWII. I was Air Force so know little about Navy, so what gives here???
The Navy re-uses names all time. Here's the history on New York.

Six United States Navy ships have borne the name USS New York.

The first New York was a gondola, built on Lake Champlain in 1776, that participated in the Battle of Valcour Island.
The second New York was a 36-gun frigate commissioned on 1800 and burned by the British in 1814.
The third New York was a 74-gun ship of the line, laid down in 1820 but which never left the stocks and was burned in 1861.
A screw sloop named New York was laid down in 1863 as Ontario, renamed in 1869, and sold while still on the stocks, in 1888.
The fourth New York (ACR-2) was an armored cruiser commissioned in 1893, in action in the Spanish-American War, renamed to Saratoga in 1911, renamed Rochester in 1917, decommissioned in 1933, and scuttled in 1941.
The fifth New York (BB-34) was a battleship laid down in 1911, commissioned in 1914, in action in both World Wars, decommissioned in 1946 and sunk as a target ship in 1948.
The sixth New York (LPD-21) is an amphibious transport dock, partly constructed with metal salvaged from the World Trade Center after September 11, 2001.

wheel607 Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:42 pm

blarneyman wrote: wheel607 wrote: I thought that names of Navy ships were not recycled. My father served on the USS New York just before and during WWII. I was Air Force so know little about Navy, so what gives here???
The Navy re-uses names all time. Here's the history on New York.

Six United States Navy ships have borne the name USS New York.

The first New York was a gondola, built on Lake Champlain in 1776, that participated in the Battle of Valcour Island.
The second New York was a 36-gun frigate commissioned on 1800 and burned by the British in 1814.
The third New York was a 74-gun ship of the line, laid down in 1820 but which never left the stocks and was burned in 1861.
A screw sloop named New York was laid down in 1863 as Ontario, renamed in 1869, and sold while still on the stocks, in 1888.
The fourth New York (ACR-2) was an armored cruiser commissioned in 1893, in action in the Spanish-American War, renamed to Saratoga in 1911, renamed Rochester in 1917, decommissioned in 1933, and scuttled in 1941.
The fifth New York (BB-34) was a battleship laid down in 1911, commissioned in 1914, in action in both World Wars, decommissioned in 1946 and sunk as a target ship in 1948.
The sixth New York (LPD-21) is an amphibious transport dock, partly constructed with metal salvaged from the World Trade Center after September 11, 2001.

Thanks for the great info!!!

Neto Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:00 pm

I dont know if the pic is real, but I do know the story is 8)

How bad-ass would it be if the USS New York fired a missile and somehow killed Bin Laden :wink:

Ghoti Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Neto wrote: I dont know if the pic is real, but I do know the story is 8)

How bad-ass would it be if the USS New York fired a missile and somehow killed Bin Laden :wink:

Should have been done years ago!! :evil: