TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Midwest Flooding Page: 1, 2  Next
rjonas Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:55 am

Pretty much anyone living along the Mississippi north of St Louis has had flooding issues this year. I live in St Charles County just north of St Louis and have not been directly affected by the flood other than my boating season has not started yet. Although some friends and family are suffering. Anyway I have a couple of funny pictures relating to the flood.

Great Rivers Habitat Alliance http://www.grha.net/ co-created by Augest Busch III (Yes, Busch Beer family) has been fighting levee building for years and has had this billboard up since the great flood of '93 and now has a perfect backdrop.

Just because the river is flooded don't mean we can't ski.

notchback Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:22 am

Man is weak and nature has a way of showing him whenever she wants to.

Skim Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:23 am

Skim Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:24 am

Skim Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:25 am

notchback Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:17 am

Skim wrote:
Danged Iowa looters are stealing cats now days.

Russ Wolfe Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:34 am

Damn Skim, I told you to just call Roto Rooter.

66busman Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Funny, the flood happened here first, about 2 weeks ago. It hasn't rained since! Now the grass is all crunchy and dry, but there's still flooded roads and houses, so the mosquitos are in full force. Sucks, but we'll make it out.

turboblue Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:23 pm

This is the Indiana version.
14" or rain in one shot, Johnson county.
Just south of Indy.

Aerial video of flood and tornado damage

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=floodtornado2008vidqa2.flv

mustard_madman Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:45 pm

I live here in Boone County in Missouri(right in the middle) I took a bike ride with my family on Sunday on the Katy Trail, and rode along the Missouri river.... it's amazing when the river is literally 2 feet form the trail..... when it usually is a 15 foot drop... I wish i had my camera... certain parts of the trail were closed as well.

arod Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Skim wrote:
fuck that is close :shock:

EZ Gruv Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:32 pm

My hometown of Davenport, Iowa:

Gary Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:42 am

66busman wrote: Funny, the flood happened here first, about 2 weeks ago. It hasn't rained since! Now the grass is all crunchy and dry, but there's still flooded roads and houses, so the mosquitos are in full force. Sucks, but we'll make it out. My brother lives in a hilly area close to State Highway N in Cottage Grove, and he lost an entire crop of baled hay. A small farm a couple of miles from him, which they breed goats and miniature horses, lost almost all of their animals to the fast rising waters. A couple of weeks ago, he told me that in order to get to Minnesota he's have to drive around the outer part of the state as almost all routes were flooded.

79SuperVert Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:42 am

[quote="arod"]

I'm a city slicker who lives in a place that is supposedly scary to people because of the crime, etc., but I tip my hat to people who live in the Midwest and see stuff like that every year. It would scare the life out of me.

hrbe53 Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:02 pm

EZ Gruv wrote: My hometown of Davenport, Iowa:

I live south of there!!

This is Keithsburg illinois. I was there with my dad multiple times, ...delivering porta-potties too!!

This train was on a levee...

I was told the barriers marked the 93' levels...

jerry.t Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:08 pm

[quote="79SuperVert"] arod wrote:

I'm a city slicker who lives in a place that is supposedly scary to people because of the crime, etc., but I tip my hat to people who live in the Midwest and see stuff like that every year. It would scare the life out of me.

living in tornado alley, i have been a hell of a lot closer than that, but i think the statistic is about 80% of the people that live here, or in the midwest, have never seen a tornado.

Fusillade Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:50 pm

jerry.t wrote: 79SuperVert wrote:

living in tornado alley, i have been a hell of a lot closer than that, but i think the statistic is about 80% of the people that live here, or in the midwest, have never seen a tornado.

While I feel sorry for those that are in its path, I must admit:

That is an awesome picture.

Fusillade Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 pm

notchback wrote: Skim wrote:

If those were our cats, that dude would be covered in scratch marks and blood from head to foot while the cats would be clinging to the side of his head.

jerry.t Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:37 pm

Fusillade wrote: notchback wrote: Skim wrote:

If those were our cats, that dude would be covered in scratch marks and blood from head to foot while the cats would be clinging to the side of his head.

BTDT ever tried to move a bunch of cats in a car with out a cage? #-o

Fusillade Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:08 pm

jerry.t wrote: Fusillade wrote: notchback wrote: Skim wrote:

BTDT ever tried to move a bunch of cats in a car with out a cage? #-o

Once. They climbed into the back window, yowled for about 10 minutes, then pissed all over the back seat of the car. Not only that, the stress of the trip caused them to shed unbelieveable amounts of furr. Never again.