TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dumb job interview question. Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
shok Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:54 am

A friend was asked this at a job interview and she couldn't come up with an answer, the answer the guy gave made no sense, and I'm stumped.

"you are on a 300ft cliff with a monster and 250 ft of rope. There is a tree at the edge and another tree or something growing out of the side of the cliff 150 feet down. How do you get down?"

I think he found it on a website filled with dumb puzzles. Any one have an idea?

Skim Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:06 am

shok wrote: A friend was asked this at a job interview and she couldn't come up with an answer, the answer the guy gave made no sense, and I'm stumped.

"you are on a 300ft cliff with a monster and 250 ft of rope. There is a tree at the edge and another tree or something growing out of the side of the cliff 150 feet down. How do you get down?"

I think he found it on a website filled with dumb puzzles. Any one have an idea?

Google.com

notchback Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:10 am

What kind of monster? That could make all the difference in the world. Also, what kind of rope and what is the weight rating?

Behemoth Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:15 am

Tie the rope around yourself and then wrap it aroung the tree. Lower yourself to 125 foot and take the drop of 25 feet to the next tree. Do this twice.

LadyVW Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:25 am

What sort of job was this interview for?

wsniderokc Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:29 am

i would drop trou, and take a big ol' growler right there on the spot. then i would grab the poo, and toss it on the monster's eyes, run over the to rope, and as the monster attempted to wipe it's eyes, i'd tie him up and then toss him over the cliff, slowly meandering back to my car and wondering what the fuck i was thinking when i ate that damn mushroom.

shok Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:30 am

Skim wrote: shok wrote: A friend was asked this at a job interview and she couldn't come up with an answer, the answer the guy gave made no sense, and I'm stumped.

Google.com
yeh we both tried google.

iowegian Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:30 am

LadyVW wrote: What sort of job was this interview for?
Voltswagon mechanic. :roll:

shok Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:32 am

no details on the rope in regards to weight rating.
letting yourself drop was not allowed, but thats pretty much the answer i had.
its for some freaking tech job, not exactly sure of the position.

my first answer was to tie up the monster, but they probably would not of accepted that.

KTPhil Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 am

"How do you get down?"

Getting down is easy. Jump.

Landing, now that's the hard part...

90volts Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:44 am

don't need to get down. there's no such thing as monsters.

shok Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:50 am

90volts wrote: don't need to get down. there's no such thing as monsters.

well yeh, i said to her if i happened to be interviewed by the guy i probably would have said "you know that monsters don't really exist, right? are you scared of monsters?"
no way i would get the job, but oh well.

chickengeorge Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:01 pm

I was at an interview once for a medical device company. Since I sell industrial equipment, they wanted to know how I could make the transition. One of the questions was "how would you integrate yourself into the medical community?". It completely stumped me (not easy) as I fumbled through some ridiculous answer.

I mean, seriously..."integrate myself into the medical community"?

The whole fucking community? Is it some sort of club? Do I need a pass? Do they have parties and special handshakes?

"integrate myself into the medical community"....

Andrew Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:14 pm

Tie the rope the to the tree at the top and climb down to the tree growing out of the side of the cliff and tie it there so the rope is tight between the two. Now climb 50 feet back up and cut the rope, hang on to the rope and drop back down to the tree 50 feet below you. Drop the rope to the ground and climb down.

nimbus Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:20 pm

she could do some sort of trick or jump rope like the lady in King Kong. then lull the monster to sleep, then just walk past.

dquattlebum Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:28 pm

I hate the questions where they say, "On a scale from 1 - 10 how would you rate your performance in your last job?"

Ummm... Like 9 trillion?

90volts Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:58 pm

i love how HR is in on interviews these days. i got the question 'if an employee was having a problem would you a) talk to the employee, b) let HR know so they could contact him, c) refer it to your manager? '
so i said i would talk to them. BUZZZZZZ - Wrong Answer! apparently HR is GOD - LOL. stupid stuffed shirts!

i still stand by the no such thing as monsters thing though. tell them there are no such thing and then press the questioner why he believes in monsters. get him on the defensive and makes you look stronger. of course the guy may be a whiny,backstabbing,insecure little bitch and do everything he can to get you not hired. but if so then you probably are better off somehere else anyway. :lol:

_monkey_ Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:05 pm

chickengeorge wrote: I was at an interview once for a medical device company. Since I sell industrial equipment, they wanted to know how I could make the transition. One of the questions was "how would you integrate yourself into the medical community?". It completely stumped me (not easy) as I fumbled through some ridiculous answer.

The whole fucking community? Is it some sort of club? Do I need a pass? Do they have parties and special handshakes?

That sounds vaguely familiar. I interviewed for a job with CIBA Corning, and they made me take a 5 page test to gauge my psyche before they'd interview me. I made the interview, but got another offer before I heard back from them.

DaveM Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:13 pm

chickengeorge wrote: I was at an interview once for a medical device company. Since I sell industrial equipment, they wanted to know how I could make the transition. One of the questions was "how would you integrate yourself into the medical community?". It completely stumped me (not easy) as I fumbled through some ridiculous answer.

you should have said told them this medical community they speak of will be much smaller right after you eat all the competition for lunch... return the question of how they will integrate themselves into this new community.

dquattlebum Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:15 pm

_monkey_ wrote:

That sounds vaguely familiar. I interviewed for a job with CIBA Corning, and they made me take a 5 page test to gauge my psyche before they'd interview me. I made the interview, but got another offer before I heard back from them.

I had to take a "Personality Interview Test" for my current job... 1.5 hours of bullshit. hahaha