TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: grill masters help with brisket
JonF Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:33 pm

ok i am planing on smoking a brisket on my weber grill and need a little help. this will be the 1st time i have used the indirect cooking method. the prob i am having is i dont know how much charcoal i need to start with and how much to add each hour and what temp i should try to keep my grill at.

my59 Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:02 pm

weber.com is your friend

I do turkey on the grille and use about 8 brickets per side per hour after the initial hour- but thats a hot fire that I control with the vents to drive it like an oven- it'll sit at 350 deg.

Friend of mine does ribs and brisket witha lower fire, longer time- and uses an instant read thermometer to determine doneness.

dquattlebum Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:04 pm

the only way for brisket...Low and Slow:

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/howtosmokeabrisket.html

TimGud Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Parboil the brisket for an hour then smoke it for three and add bbq sauce. MMMM Goood! Look online and use the recommended smoker temps, a bucket with mesquite chips soaked in water helps give it a nice flavor. If your smoker doesn't have a thermometer buy one!

my59 Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:24 pm

dquattlebum wrote: the only way for brisket...Low and Slow:

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/howtosmokeabrisket.html

I go for the dry rub- usually I make a few pounds of rub to have on hand, and use it with beer can chicken, ribs, chicken, shrimp....

If you're driving a weber you want the thermometer in the handle- easiest way to know whats happening. I leave the bottom vents wide open and control temp with the top

JonF Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:37 pm

weber.com is not much help.

the lid to my grill has the thermometer in the handle. i have the 2 baskets that come with the grill for indirect cooking.

i thinking i need to cook it about 8 to 10 hours around temp of 250 to 325. just not sure on how much charcoal it is going to take to get my grill up to temp when i 1st start it.

TimGud Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm

You may end up with it having to much smoke flavoring smoking it that long. Depends on what you burn. If it comes out a bit too smokey for your taste then next time try the par-boil method. Works great, tastes great. A simple salt and pepper rub is good too.

Dunebubby Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:45 pm

From the weber owners guide that came with my grill:

Indirect Grill setup

Diameter of grill____Brickets per side/first hour____# of brickets to add to each side each hour

18 1/2"____20____7
22 1/2"____25____8
26 3/4"____30____9
37 1/2"____75____22

JonF Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:57 pm

thanks man that was what i was needing. i inherited this weber performer from my grate aunt and it didnt come with the owners guide

gzg1406 Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:35 am

WTF!this topic was misused by me as“ girl masters help with brisket"

I need boobs

Mr. Loaf Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:44 am

Consider making a foil tray for the brisket. It keeps the juices where you want them. Do no start smoking the brisket until it is about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way done.

jerry.t Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:58 am

i just use a slow smoker with water. dump a bunch of coals in the bottom,
fill the water up and let it come to a boil. when it comes up to temp, put the meat on and go do what ever there is to do.

JonF Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:13 am

Mr. Loaf wrote: Consider making a foil tray for the brisket. It keeps the juices where you want them. Do no start smoking the brisket until it is about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way done.

yep.. got a foil pan for all the juices.

Wiggy Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:36 am

I use the Weber Performer as well and I make some God damned good BBQ (I'm making it right now as a matter of fact).

I rinse the brisket under cold water and blot dry. I rub my mop sause onto all sides of the brisket. if you have the time (which you probably don't now), I put the brisket in the fridge, covered for 4 - 6 hrs.

I set-up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat it to low (225-250). When you are ready to cook, I toss 1 cop of wood chips on the coals. Place the brisket, fat-side up in an alumium foil pan and place it in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat and I cover the grill. I grill until tender, which is about 6 hours (depends on the size of the brisket and your grill). I bast or mop the brisket with the mop sauce once an hour for the first 4 hours. Since you are using Charcoal, you will need to add about 12 fresh coals and 1/2 cup of wood chips per side every hour. I usually pull it off when its at 190 deg.

I take the brisket off and let sit for about 10 minutes. Then I thinly slice across the grain then pour the juices on top.

GOOD LUCK

crukab Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:32 am

TimGud wrote: Parboil the brisket for an hour then smoke it for three and add bbq sauce. MMMM Goood!

Thats the way to go, Brisket is tough, it needs a good par cook, season the water w/ Bay leaf, peppercorns, salt, thyme & Garlic.
You'll go crazy trying to fiddle fuck w/ it for 10 hours on the grill.
I've been cooking for a living for 32 years.

Kuncle Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:28 am

I've never tried smoking something.. I would rather have it done and gone before the hour mark.. lol a friend of mine does his own brisket every saturday and he can do it up but then again he is patient and Im ready to eat.. I dont know how you boys do it...

JonF Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:49 pm

thanks for all the help guys... the brisket was bomb! it took 7 hours to cook it on my grill. now just need to decide what i want to smoke next when i have the time to tend to the grill all day.

Dunebubby wrote: From the weber owners guide that came with my grill:

Indirect Grill setup

Diameter of grill____Brickets per side/first hour____# of brickets to add to each side each hour

18 1/2"____20____7
22 1/2"____25____8
26 3/4"____30____9
37 1/2"____75____22

oh yea dunebubby i found that with 25 coals per side to start the grill got the temp up to 375 then with 8 per side per hour it stayed around 350 and with 6 per side it stayed at 300. might help if you decide to smoke anything :-P

Dunebubby Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:04 pm

What diameter is your grill? I have been wanting to smoke stuff just haven't gotten around to it. I have an 18" grill that I use more than my larger one. I fudge by a bricket or two per side on the start up but for the most part following the weber guide has made me a much better bbq'er. Anybody still cooking chicken directly needs to get with it. Nothing like indirect chicken. Cook it for an hour,flip it once,Viola! It's so juicy.

JonF Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:07 pm

i have an older weber performer 22 1/2

Liveonjg Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:08 pm

You've got some good advice here, the only thing I'd add is to drill a hole lower down on your lid an install your thermometer in it. The important temp when smoking is the one at grill level, not the top of the lid.
-John