TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Re-gluing Vinyl to Masonite on inside door panels
PSScoots Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:36 pm

The vinyl coverings on my inside door and quarter panels are coming unglued from the Masonite backer board.

I'm looking for a glue recommendation to reattach it. Will hot glue work?

I'm looking for something that won't destroy the vinyl, adhere to the Masonite and withstand the tension.

Thanks.

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:46 pm

The quarter panels inside my '65 are in phenomenal condition, except they were coming unglued around the edges, causing the covering to shrink and winkle. I used a hair drier to heat the covering a little so that it was more pliable. I, then, used Gorilla Glue on the vinyl tabs that attached to the backside of the panel - a little dab per tab. I took two rulers (or any kind of straight edge) and sanwiched the panel in between each straight edge. I took lots of binder clips to hold everything in place until the glue dried. On the curved parts of the panel, it did it in stages, allowing one section to dry before moving on. It was rather tedious, but they came out fantastic and look just as they should.

garykohl2 Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:47 pm

PSScoots wrote:

I used hot glue to recover my doors and it worked just fine. It didn't hurt anything and it holds it tight.

BarrettBug Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Uh..thank ya very much..

bill may Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:34 pm

garykohl2 wrote: PSScoots wrote:

I used hot glue to recover my doors and it worked just fine. It didn't hurt anything and it holds it tight.

is that glue bleed thru' or pictures of some hippy???

Steve. Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:48 pm

3M makes a good adhesive spray, works well also

iaccy Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:19 pm

i actually had the same problem, lucky for me my neighbor does upholstery and had some extremely short staples he used for automotive interiors. He shot a few staples around the edge of my panel and it worked great. 8)

PSScoots Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:55 am

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.