TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Blackberry or iPhone?
Box on Wheels Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:05 pm

Which do you prefer?

Mistersellars Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:20 am

Depends on what you want to use it for. I have a Blackberry for work and it is great, I have a Blackjack for personal and I love that as well. But I couldn't switch them because the Blackjack doesn't do everything I need for work and the BB is not quite as much fun. In the future I may switch to the Iphone but first they need to up the capacity and I will have to swallow the fact that I really don't like the touch screen keyboard, love everything else, hate the keyboard lol.

lonslo Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:16 am

iphone, without it I would've lost some of my ebay bids. 8)

Kuncle Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:24 am

talking to a Cheese sandwich or a stick of gum?

MrBreeze Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:27 am

I just gave up my blackberry pearl, which I loved, for a ipod clone that runs windows mobile and it's out of this world. Much more fun :-)

thewalrus Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:02 am

With any luck I'm getting a iPhone 3G Friday...so iPhone for me!! I have a Treo 680 now that has definetly kept my sanity and reminded me of lots of forgetten upcoming VW shows!! 8)

dquattlebum Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:27 am

Ok, I'll try to keep this real short.

I used Blackberries for years. LOVE them. My first was the 6510, my last Blackberry was the 8310 Curve from T-Mobile. Great Phone, Stable and Solid OS, great for emailing, texting, calls, calendar, etc... Browser SUCKS, but its very basic and streamlined which is great for a work environment. MP3 player is sub-par.

Windows Mobile Phones (Q, Treo, Blackjack) - They suck. Windows Mobile is the worst phone OS ever. I've had a few blackjacks and a few Q's and 1 or 2 Treos and hated them. There was never a day that I didn't have to pull the battery to reset it or wait for 9 years for it to unlock itself while syncing... MP3 player SUCKS. Work has me carry a Q and I HATE it...

Iphone - probably one of the best phones I've seen. Now with the new software coming out it will be perfect for business and personal use.
The browser is by far the best. The phone software is ingenious, the touch screen and UI is fabulous. Now it will do the MS Exchange Push mail and Mobile me push mail for calendar, email, and contacts. A few things they need to add is copy and paste, and MMS messaging, but you can use email for MMS... Ipod integration a plus.

I'm a little biased towards the iPhone cause I'm a little bit of an Apple fanboy...

If it boils down to it I would go with the iphone, for business or personal use, but the Blackberry is a VERY close 2nd.

The Sage Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:55 am

I agree that the Window Mobile platform sucks, I moved to a Windows phone after leaving the Treo (Palm). The treo seemed great, but had reception issues.

I have played with an I Phone, and really liked the functionality, but I could not comment about things like bugs, or those little design things and can get to be really annoying in a phone.

Bart Dunn Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:34 am

I thought the BB Pearl I used for a year was a little "buggy" in that call records would disappear, text messages and e-mail would disappear, it had to be reset on the network frequently, etc., and a little intrusive with the e-mail constantly alerting. The BB is like a 911 Turbo on data communications, which is a bit more than most people probably need.

I went back to a Palm Treo, which is dependable and bullet proof, it gives me e-mail only when I want it, and is otherwise more like the Beetle of PDA phones, which suits me fine.

David Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:50 am

thewalrus wrote: With any luck I'm getting a iPhone 3G Friday...so iPhone for me!! I have a Treo 680 now that has definetly kept my sanity and reminded me of lots of forgetten upcoming VW shows!! 8)

You should have no problem getting one on Friday... there's talk of there being plenty to go around.

I'd suggest going to an Apple store if you can. They are gonna be able to handle 30 activations at a time, so hopefully it'll be faster than AT&T (esp mine w/ 3 emps).

To clarify the 'upgrade' path for everyone you can do so here.
Existing AT&T Customer:
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6158&cat=32&u=621

New AT&T Customer:
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6158&cat=32&u=620

You'll also you'll be able to check a store's next-day stock every night after 9PM at:
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

*I'll be buying an iPhone 3G once my financial situation gets better - damn unemployment!

dquattlebum Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:55 am

Bart Dunn wrote: I thought the BB Pearl .

The Pearl was/is horrible. I used one for about a week and returned it....

MrBreeze Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:51 pm

I must be lucky. i used the shit out my Pearl and never had a problem. So far I've been just as lucky with the Windows Mobile phone I have now. Loaded with programs, surfing (although I do use opera, not the IE that came with it), chatting and nary an issue. Ok, maybe one, the battery life is crap, I leave it plugged in all the time unless I'm out and about.

Box on Wheels Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:32 pm

So here's my dilemma, I need a new phone for work. One that can handle a fair amount of e-mails and phone calls. It looks like the new iPhone 3G would work, but I am currently a Verizon customer. My Verizon contract has another year left. Their service is so-so, but they seem to have great area coverage. I am debating if switching to AT&T for new iPhone is worth the extra money, or wait until my contract is up next fall.

Mr. Loaf Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:51 am

Who cares? I am always amazed by the things that we are told that we need in order to survive these days. It's all about money and most of yours is theirs.

Mistersellars Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:04 am

MrBreeze wrote: I must be lucky. i used the shit out my Pearl and never had a problem. So far I've been just as lucky with the Windows Mobile phone I have now. Loaded with programs, surfing (although I do use opera, not the IE that came with it), chatting and nary an issue. Ok, maybe one, the battery life is crap, I leave it plugged in all the time unless I'm out and about.

I was thinking the same thing because I have used my Blackjack to death and, unlike my Treo, I haven't had to pull the battery even once due to freezing *knocks on wood* But hey we all have different excperiences.

thewalrus Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:22 am

David wrote: You should have no problem getting one on Friday... there's talk of there being plenty to go around.

I'd suggest going to an Apple store if you can. They are gonna be able to handle 30 activations at a time, so hopefully it'll be faster than AT&T (esp mine w/ 3 emps).

To clarify the 'upgrade' path for everyone you can do so here.
Existing AT&T Customer:
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6158&cat=32&u=621

New AT&T Customer:
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6158&cat=32&u=620

You'll also you'll be able to check a store's next-day stock every night after 9PM at:
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

*I'll be buying an iPhone 3G once my financial situation gets better - damn unemployment!
Thanks for the links!!! Unfortunately the nearest Apple store is in Boston 1hr+ drive from work, or 2hrs+ from work in Providence, RH (Where my two friends are going tonight :roll: ) BUT, the nearest AT&T store that carries the iPhone is literally less then 5 minutes down the road. I'm hoping to get there early tomorrow morning, get the phone, activate it and be back at work before my 2 hours of OT I've accrued go up so I can still get out of work Friday afternoon before the sun sets!! The countdown begins!!!

Zeen Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:19 am

Box on Wheels wrote: So here's my dilemma, I need a new phone for work. One that can handle a fair amount of e-mails and phone calls. It looks like the new iPhone 3G would work, but I am currently a Verizon customer. My Verizon contract has another year left. Their service is so-so, but they seem to have great area coverage. I am debating if switching to AT&T for new iPhone is worth the extra money, or wait until my contract is up next fall.

Talk to your company's IT department. Blackberry is unbeatable for corporate email, but your company has to sign up with RIMM and support it for it to work properly. If you're on your own, go with the iPhone. Also, I found the hybrid keyboard of the Pearl irritating, and prefer the qwerty keyboard of the 8800. The built-in GPS with Telenav is quite handy as well.

camit34 Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:06 am

I prefer the iPhone but flip'n AT&T wont work inside my house...step 1 foot out onto the front door and it works just fine...

CarreraRS2.7 Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:19 am

Neither.

ssx Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:04 pm

I have the BB Curve, my wife has the iPhone 8G, we both like the apple better.