TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: To new motorcyclists out there...
VSarge Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 pm

The wife and I were coming back from downtown and in her car. Ahead we see a bike in the slow lane; it's about 7:30 pm so a little dark. Something doesn't look right. He's going slow so we pull up on him without having to speed. Oh and there is a car less than 2 foot of his tail.

One look said new rider. Helmet on loosely so it's trying to pull off and strangling him, entire body locked into a tight "oh shit" pose, eye protection too small so he is having to squint real bad, and he is riding on the white line. Every move he makes to correct is jerky.

I remember being a new rider so this isn't to make fun of anyone. Just do us and yourself a favor. Before hitting the road, any road but especially the highway, practice, practice, practice. Take a riders ed program. I've been riding since I was 14 or so and I'm 46 now. I still take a refresher course every two years or so. The life you save could be your own.

By the time you hit the roads you should be able to ride without tensing up completely. This will not help you react any faster. It in fact slows ya down and leads to a straight ahead push when you meant to turn among other things.

Never trust just your mirrors, turn your head and look around. This helps you stay up on what's around you and helps relieve that head/neck ache you're getting. Oh and the road looks so close and hard because, well it is. But relax, a motorcycle is kind of like a gyroscope. If you don't screw up (or someone tries to occupy the same space) it wont fall down. And if you just can't relax, get a trike. If you tip that over you've got bigger problems than I can cover here.

Now for the opposite side of the coin. Car drivers, watch out for bikes. usually the first excuse given is "I didn't see him/her". Had that happen on my trike with all three front lights on, trike is a decent sized RED trike. Dude cut me off big time.

If you see someone riding somehow that pisses you off (wheelies, standing on the seat, whatever) call the cops. DO NOT cut them off, ride their tail or anything like that. Chances are if he has to hit the brakes or loose control you're not going to like the results and considering he may be dead, he wont either. Looking at recent legal standings you'll probably get off with some minor thing for killing someone but you still did it. Not to mention the mess the car is going to be.

Oh and I'll like to not hear that no VW driver would ever do that. The car on his bumper was a sweet looking Thing.

Sarge

Lee. Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:35 pm

The problem is the ricers that weave in and out of traffic.

When I see them hauling ass and weaving, I intentionally try to cut them off. :twisted:

Gary Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:34 am

Lee. wrote: The problem is the ricers that weave in and out of traffic.

When I see them hauling ass and weaving, I intentionally try to cut them off. :twisted: I hate motorcyclists with a passion. Just like tattoos, every dipshit these days thinks he has to have a bike. I've lost count of the number of bikers (crotch rocket or otherwise) who has executed an unsafe maneuver in front of me. I don't like having to panic stop because some idiot on two wheels, with no helmet and a minor sitting behind him, cuts me off in traffic.

If you want to ride a motorcycle then stick to the offroad trails and leave the roadways clear for real vehicles.

71stock Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:55 am

Problem here in PA is that there is no helmet law... New riders with no helmet either... :shock:

VSarge Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:13 am

Well Lee and Icy, bikes in one form or another have been around way longer than cars, You're the ones with the new fad. Come ride a bike and save some gas. The guy I mentioned above was getting 60 mpg or so. You wonder why the ricer boys cut and weave thru traffic? Folks like you are one of the reasons, they want to get away from you. When did you become cops and began to enforce the laws?

grammarian, I rode with no helmet most of the ttime. That helmet isn't going to provide them with much protection past 13-14 mph. Pick up a DOT helmet and read the inside of it. The mfg even states so inside the helmet.

Sarge

Foxx Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:26 am

what was the point in this post? it seems to meander over crap from cars following too close to helmet laws to stupid riders weaving in and out of traffic.
is there a point to this waste of cyberspace?

VSarge Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:40 am

The original post was two fold. To new riders and car drivers. And that is merely the two sides of one coin. With gas prices going up bikes will be showing up more and more. Already are here as a matter of fact. Since I can't sit down and talk to each new rider I figured maybe a post here would help.

The helmets came after from someone else.

You always have a choice, you can read it or ignore it.

Sarge

Foxx Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:52 am

i have more choices than that.
stupid and argumentative.