TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Kaiser Darrin
Stevie Fierce Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:53 pm

I look to the samba for some assistance. i may or may not have the fast track on a 1954 Kaiser Darrin. One of 435 ever made. This is an original owner car and is fully operational with a cheesy repaint on it. If you were looking to unload a car like this what method would YOU use? ebay doesnt seem worthy. maybe hemmings?? I have searched the web for user groups/forums/etc and I'm not coming up with much.... obviously due to the car being so rare. it's funny.... I thought to myself, I should contact Jay Leno.... but the big jawed fool already owns one..... pictured is a beautiful example of a Kaiser Darrin.


TimGud Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:02 pm


Damn those are cool!. No idea where to sell it.

obus Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:25 pm

Hemmings, Old Car Trader or a Kaiser/Frazer club?
or ask these guys?
http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

Zeen Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Stevie Fierce wrote: ...I may or may not have the fast track on a 1954 Kaiser Darrin. One of 435 ever made...If you were looking to unload a car like this what method would YOU use?




Does the current owner know you are hoping to take advantage of his trust?

Stevie Fierce Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:27 am

yes he does.

the-jerm Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:46 am

What, if you dont mind me asking, would be the value of such an interesting car. This is my first time seeing one.

HerrrKafer Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:16 am

The one pictured in this thread was recently sold in New Jersey. Asking price was $80k.

Stevie Fierce-- This doesn't happen to be one of the leftovers Darrin bought and put a Cadillac V8 in does it? :shock:

ho-dad Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:54 am

I'd use Hemmings. What color was it originally?

drscope Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:21 am

Cool doors that slide into the front fender.

420GOAT Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:56 am

TimGud wrote:
Damn those are cool!. No idea where to sell it.
BADASS butternut yellow and black vinyl top 66 Chevelle back there....i believe it even has a 396 by the looks of the flags. sweet....oh yeah the funky one is the car your selling....good luck.

Herbie3Rivers Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:09 am

I recall there being one run thrugh Barrett Jackson this past winter. Don't think it brought a ton of money though. Still 5 figures. Go to their site and look through the auction results. But you gotta figure in the condition of that car vs. th car you're looking at and go from there. Many of the 40s/50s cars have been dropping in value recently.

Lidpainter Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:38 am

420GOAT wrote: TimGud wrote:
Damn those are cool!. No idea where to sell it.
BADASS butternut yellow and black vinyl top 66 Chevelle back there....i believe it even has a 396 by the looks of the flags. sweet....oh yeah the funky one is the car your selling....good luck.

The hood should have been your first clue.

420GOAT Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:46 am

yessssss!! but i did not want to edit my comment...you like Chevrolets too?

Stevie Fierce Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:13 am

in pictures this particular car looks like it was a white or off white color. im thinking since the car is operational and all together, the value should be in the 20-30K range. this is just my speculation but i dont think im that far off.

the car has a rather cool story attached to it. the gentleman that used to live in my house was of dutch descent which were the first people (after native americans) to settle the town I live in. he bought my house in the 1920's and lived and died here until only a few years ago which is when we moved in and renovated, blah blah blah. we found pics of him on the assembly line with his new kaiser darrin in 1954 and then tons of pics of him around the property here with the car. very cool stuff. unfortunately he was not into say..... early vw's. so in the garage was this kaiser and also a cord. my uncle was his neighbor and since the gentleman (97 years old) outlived everyone, my uncle was the lucky air of these cars. my uncle and cars are like oil and water so here is where i step in. there could be a deal in the works where i acquire this car (my uncle owes me ;) and what i will do with it remains to be seen.

ho-dad Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:36 am

Stevie Fierce wrote: in pictures this particular car looks like it was a white or off white color. im thinking since the car is operational and all together, the value should be in the 20-30K range. this is just my speculation but i dont think im that far off.

the car has a rather cool story attached to it. the gentleman that used to live in my house was of dutch descent which were the first people (after native americans) to settle the town I live in. he bought my house in the 1920's and lived and died here until only a few years ago which is when we moved in and renovated, blah blah blah. we found pics of him on the assembly line with his new kaiser darrin in 1954 and then tons of pics of him around the property here with the car. very cool stuff. unfortunately he was not into say..... early vw's. so in the garage was this kaiser and also a cord. my uncle was his neighbor and since the gentleman (97 years old) outlived everyone, my uncle was the lucky air of these cars. my uncle and cars are like oil and water so here is where i step in. there could be a deal in the works where i acquire this car (my uncle owes me ;) and what i will do with it remains to be seen.

I'll take the Cord off your hands ;-)

All those pics, especially w/ the car on the assembly line, will really help the value.

andk5591 Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:08 am

Hemmings is a good option - I always thought those cars were cool, but they had quite a few issues - The door seals being one of them. But still a unique piece of auto history. Good luck

Ian Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:41 am

Ebay, seriously.

I know of a 1910 Cadillac but getting the owner to agree with me that I can sell it is hard. So I'd have to buy it and then sell it. But I don't have $150k. :idea:

thebucket Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:21 am

I hope it gets slammed on earlies.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group