TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: cell phones and driving.... Page: 1, 2  Next
johnnyrotten Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:20 am

OK, so I'm on the way to the hospital (work), and crossing the bridge from Ohio into WVA in my "city boy truck" (sport trac). I go through the GREEN light and across a 4way. I can see a white blur to my left and think to myself "I'm gonna get into a wreck, I've never been in a wreck"!!! Just before I get hit, I am able to look up a second time and assure myself the light is green. BAM!!!! this older lady ON HER CELL PHONE runs her red light and smacks my drivers side front with her Mitsubishi Outlander. The Bi$%h was holding her cell phone up to her ear and never let it go even after impact.

My drivers front tire is flat, the spindle is broke, and I cannot even open my door. She gets to drive home and I have a police officer drive me to work.

Why do people insist on talking on their cell phones all the time!!!!! Hell, I remember when we didn't have cell phones. NOW everyone has them, even people that can't afford to pay their damn medical bills!!!!

On an upside, my buddy that painted both of my VW's is repairing the truck for a total of $3000.00, her insurance (Geico) paid me almost $5000.00. :D $2000.00 for vw parts :D

Cell phones can be very useful and I am guilty of using mine on occasion, but do pull over if I see that I am going to have a lengthy conversation.

John

79SuperVert Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:25 am

Glad it worked out in the end, even though it should never have happened in the first place. Cell phones and in fact any phones touch something deep in people's psyche; when that thing rings, it doesn't matter what you're doing, you want to stop and answer it.

On a lighter note, when I drive my Beetle I put my cell phone on speaker and clip it to the passenger side seat belt so if I get a call I just hit a button and can talk hands free (don't like that Bluetooth thing so close to my brain). But I must present quite a picture driving a noisy car with the windows open, bellowing at the phone...

johnnyrotten Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 am

Funny story.....

A friend of mine at work went to the local AT&T to get a new cell phone. He was asked if he was interested in a "Blue Tooth" for his new phone by the guy at the counter who was positioned at an angle while leaning on the counter. My friend replies, "those things make you look like a dumbass!!". The saleman turns to the other side and BEHOLD!! he has a bluetooth strapped to his ear. My friend laughed his ass off (outside of the store of course).

John

mynameismud Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:42 am

I pray that in 10 yrs - 97% of the population has huge tumors growing from the ear they have the phone up to.

I HATE driving cell users..what's better is texting and driving- I had a guy pull up next to me doing 65-70mph texting.. :roll:

crofty Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:48 am

It's illegal to use a cell phone in CA while driving unless it's hands free and totally illegal for teens to use any kind of device .

420GOAT Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:50 am

people are stupid on their phones! yesteraday this lady did not know what to do or where she was going and this pissed off my girl since we had to go around her, she stopped , then went then stopped, tried to do a u turn and finally realized we were there my girl flipped her off, cussed her out and told ber "bitch get off the phone you f*cken stupid whore!" yeah ive known my girl to kick some ass so i was worried for the other driver chick.

420GOAT Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 am

crofty wrote: It's illegal to use a cell phone in CA while driving unless it's hands free and totally illegal for teens to use any kind of device .

good they are the biggest idiots.

Meyer Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:09 pm

420GOAT wrote: crofty wrote: It's illegal to use a cell phone in CA while driving unless it's hands free and totally illegal for teens to use any kind of device .

good they are the biggest idiots.

Yes. Almost as insanely stupid as people who drive while stoned or people who yell at other drivers without knowing what medication they are on or what they are packing in the vehicle. Those people are dumber than rocks.

71stock Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:10 pm

I sell this device for $19.95...

67 Shane Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Not a cell phone but equally stupid if not more. Driving down 485 in my Bug to work this morning I look over into the fast lane and this jerk off in a BMW has the daily paper spread across his steering wheel reading and glancing up every so often. I wish traffic stopped so I could get out and knife his tire. At least he wouldnt be able to kill anyone with a flat tire sitting still. Jerk! Some people have no damn minds!

johnnyrotten Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:56 pm

If Tom Cruise was the Surgeon General, no one would be on meds!!!!

I worked with a lady that was the hospital supervisor at night. She used one of those internal wireless cells that would only work in the hospital. She had that thing tucked under her chin 12 hours a night for at least 8 years. She came in to the ER one night when I was working. She was unable to write her name and was stumbling. We did a CT of her head, and behold a tennis ball sized tumor on the same exact side where she kept the phone. Coincidence.... I think not.

John

79SuperVert Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I know there's still a lot of disagreement as to whether cell phones cause tumors but I've stopped carrying my cell phone on my belt. Stays on my desk at work, or in my jacket pocket, always different places so it's not radiating on one spot on my body all the time like near my kidney or other intimate places. Call me a tinfoil-hatter, I don't care.

drscope Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:50 pm

check this out;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj6SZgbBuSQ

Now what do you think that thing is doing to your head?

79SuperVert Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Those cell phone popcorn videos didn't impress me. They look pretty fake.

_monkey_ Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:25 pm

What, exactly, is a cell phone. Why would I need one?

myzamboni Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:46 pm

_monkey_ wrote: What, exactly, is a cell phone. Why would I need one?

It's so friends and those that care about you . . . .oh, nevermind. :lol:

Kuncle Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:52 pm

I would rather text that talk on the phone. I dont even look at my phone while I text so that leaves me with eyes on the road at all times.. Im fast enough to drop my thought status for a few seconds and im still on my way. Only doing this when not in heavy traffic or driving through curvey roads.. I value my car more than my phone anyday.

Major Woody Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:55 pm

67 Shane wrote: Not a cell phone but equally stupid if not more. Driving down 485 in my Bug to work this morning I look over into the fast lane and this jerk off in a BMW has the daily paper spread across his steering wheel reading and glancing up every so often. I wish traffic stopped so I could get out and knife his tire. At least he wouldnt be able to kill anyone with a flat tire sitting still. Jerk! Some people have no damn minds!

I see people reading paperbacks from time to time. Douchebags.

Major Woody Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:57 pm

Kuncle wrote: I would rather text that talk on the phone. I dont even look at my phone while I text so that leaves me with eyes on the road at all times.. Im fast enough to drop my thought status for a few seconds and im still on my way. Only doing this when not in heavy traffic or driving through curvey roads.. I value my car more than my phone anyday.

Not to hijack the thread, but WHY would you rather text than talk, if you are in a place where you can talk. I can understand in meetings or when you need to be discreet, but what is the point of texting otherwise?

Maybe I am getting old and just don't get it. It takes longer, you lose meaning, and you can't cover anywhere near as much in the same amount of time. :?

crofty Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Maybe you guys should pay attention to what you're doing instead of looking around so much ya nosey bastids!

I never use my phone unless I'm traveling. I don't like being that connected.