TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: School Instruments Page: 1, 2  Next
ocdbeetle Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:53 pm

I need to buy a Violin for my 11 yr. old. I know nothing about violins...I'm finding prices from 150.00 to 2k...Is it a "get what you pay for thing"?... I'd think so but I've no idea about them...
Ebay seems to have what appears to be good deals but I don't want to get stuck with some junk...
Anyone who's bought one online or has any guidance I'd appreciate it...

Terry Cloyd Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:20 pm

ocdbeetle wrote: I need to buy a Violin for my 11 yr. old. I know nothing about violins...I'm finding prices from 150.00 to 2k...Is it a "get what you pay for thing"?... I'd think so but I've no idea about them...
Ebay seems to have what appears to be good deals but I don't want to get stuck with some junk...

He may not like the violin. So don't go over board. :wink:

ladybug89 Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:24 pm

when i was in 6th grade we had the same thing. they reccomended the parents to rent a instrument. my parents rented a trumpet for like $60 every couple months.

try looking around for a place where you can rent it so you arent stuck with a POS.

good luck

ocdbeetle Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 pm

We rented one for her last year through the school program... She took to it well and wants to continue so we agreed to buy her one...
The music stores locally are really not any help...the help is less than helpful when it comes to violins....

Terry Cloyd Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:50 pm

ladybug89 wrote: when i was in 6th grade we had the same thing. they reccomended the parents to rent a instrument. my parents rented a trumpet for like $60 every couple months.

try looking around for a place where you can rent it so you arent stuck with a POS.

good luck

I blew the horn to. It was reveille in the mornings and taps at night. I was on a hill in the canyon by the house so everyone couldn't kill me.

Rent it is a good :idea: :idea: :idea:

notchback Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:00 pm

ocdbeetle wrote: We rented one for her last year through the school program... She took to it well and wants to continue so we agreed to buy her one...
The music stores locally are really not any help...the help is less than helpful when it comes to violins.... eBay.
http://instruments.search.ebay.com/violin_Acoustic_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ100233
3500+ choices.

ocdbeetle Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:05 pm

notchback wrote: ocdbeetle wrote: We rented one for her last year through the school program... She took to it well and wants to continue so we agreed to buy her one...
The music stores locally are really not any help...the help is less than helpful when it comes to violins.... eBay.
http://instruments.search.ebay.com/violin_Acoustic_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ100233
3500+ choices.

I know but I was trying to narrow the 3500 search down with a little guidance if anyone here had any... :lol: I imagine at the rate i'm going I'll just decide on a price range, click bid and hope for the best....

_monkey_ Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:10 pm

The tone of the instrument will take a trained ear to discern. You're not going to read the correct sound on an internet forum.

Buy her a cheap one to learn on. The finger positions and string lengths are constants. If she can play, she can get the sound across on a cheap instrument as easily as an expensive instrument.

If she gets to the point where she needs the depth and warmth of an expensive violin, at least you will know the money is well spent.

typesoneandtwo Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:30 pm

E-Bay, definitely! My son plays trumpet and we scored a very nice one for under $50. Just be careful and buy from an established seller of instruments, or someone who bought new and never used it.

I am in the market for a violin for my daughter and E-Bay is my first choice.

Fab4Fan Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:53 pm

my brother plays the violin. Its better to rent or buy an inexpensive for a young student because you grow out of them. THere are different Violin sizes . since shes already like 11 maybe a 3/4 or full size may suit her?

There are different instrument lengths for different arm lengths.

mandysbus Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:30 pm

you will need a school approved violin.....did they give you specifications.......most schools want a certain kind of tuner so the teacher can tune the violin easier........i only know this because my dad sells about 40-60 violins a year.......most of the cheap ebay violins do not come setup...you must put the strings on and fit the bridge/etc...........a basic/not junk playable school approved violin/bow and case is about 125.........................

atmellovw Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:38 pm

The instruments you rent through the school are fine for beginners. Also, if you were to buy one don't go too cheap as the instrument will sound crappy and this is discouraging to a beginning player. Aren't there any big music stores in your area? They usually have alot of used decent instruments for a reasonable price.

ocdbeetle Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:45 pm

mandysbus wrote: you will need a school approved violin.....did they give you specifications.......most schools want a certain kind of tuner so the teacher can tune the violin easier........i only know this because my dad sells about 40-60 violins a year.......most of the cheap ebay violins do not come setup...you must put the strings on and fit the bridge/etc...........a basic/not junk playable school approved violin/bow and case is about 125.........................

No specs but getting them shouldnt be a problem...Does your dad ship them?
The Music stores around here are depressing. You need to know about violins in order to know what you're buying because the employees seem clueless... :shock: They have a few used around the 400 mark then they say it jumps to around 1200 for a new one...They werent sure which size? would be appropriate for my daughter and she was there with me...
Perhaps it was just one of those days...I really appreciate all the input...

notchback Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Another good option is Pawn Shops. We bought one there a few years ago when my son wanted to play one. He only wanted to play it for a few months, so when it was time to sell, we didn't lose any money. Also, check your local Craigslist.org listings.

mandysbus Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:55 pm

what size is your daughter using now?...probably 3/4 unless shes tiny..i'll check and see what he has tommorrow and pm you

Dunebubby Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:40 pm

I have a lot of violins kickin' around work but I'd have to check size and condition. If I have something that needs restringing would it be worth it to you? I have no clue what restringing costs,also of course depends on whether the particular instrument is worth restringing. I know purchase price plays into that but I was thinkin' cheap or free. I'll scope it out tomorrow.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention I was "lucky enough" to be the only boy playing flute in my high school band. :lol: Since my sister had one kicking around from when she played. :? At LEAST your letting your kid(s) pick their own interests,(presumably).

Even been the fat kid,(boy) playin' flute in High School? Ummmm,good times :(

Dunebubby Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:42 pm

notchback wrote: Also, check your local Craigslist.org listings.
Or even "non-local"

http://crazedlist.org/

JonF Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:13 pm

hope your kid dont do like mine did. i went out and bought a king 601 trumpet just to have her play it for a week and get kicked out of band. by the way its for sale if you need a trumpet.

Low67vdubinnocal Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 pm

ocdbeetle wrote: I need to buy a Violin for my 11 yr. old. I know nothing about violins...I'm finding prices from 150.00 to 2k...Is it a "get what you pay for thing"?... I'd think so but I've no idea about them...

Id either rent or try online guitar on ebay got a cello that came with a free violin under $300 for both or Music123.com for better quality low price in case the kid loses intrest in a month or so your not out a bunch of money...

TeamSpatula Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:05 am

Any way the teacher can help with recommendations? I took private lessons up until The school program started in 4th grade, and I'm pretty sure my parents got my early smaller sized violins through the teacher's connections...might see if he/she knows anyone, or can at least make recommendations...