TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Turn signal problems
2-73vdubs Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:17 pm

Ok,I did a search and it didnt help so here goes.My turn signals have been working fine until today,they just stopped.When I turn the signal on I hear a short buzz from the flasher switch that goes away after about 2 seconds.The green light comes on in the speedometer but does not flash and the lights dont come on at all outside.At first I thought it was the flasher switch but the hazzards work fine.Any ideas?

glutamodo Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:22 pm

First thing, is to check that fuse - I think on yours it's number one - and would run the wipers as well.

2-73vdubs Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:42 am

The fuse is good and the wipers work fine.

bmwloco Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:10 am

I've been working on my front turn signals this morning - Church for the air cooled me ;)

Check your wires. Three coming out of the headlight bucket. 2 for the turn signal and running light (1157 bulb) one for the rear running light (4w).

Make sure you've got good contacts. A touch of dialectic grease (aka Silicone grease) on the terminal connections will insure good connections and no corrosion down the road.

Then check the bulbs. Make sure they're not grotted up with rust (mine were). Clean them up with steel wool, then put the dialectic grease to them too (a little bit will do - just a light sheen).

Repeat for both sides.

Electronics isn't some dark science, and happily the Thing is based on Hella and Bosch technology.

Coming from working on Triumphs and MG's in my youth, it's a revelation, nothing short ;)

74 Thing Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:33 am

Check the bulbs