TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lightning Bugs - Fireflies Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
meredith murray Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:51 pm

When I was a kid the night sky was full of Lightning Bugs - Fireflies, in the past couple of years they seamed to have diminished, then this year I have not seen a single one?

Anyone else notice this?

1977_L63H_P27 Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:12 pm

We still have plenty here. Say, do you have a mosquito shortage? Cuz' I'd be happy to fix you up :P. Peace!

ChesterKV Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:23 pm

They do not exist in California.....at least I've never seen them.

meredith murray Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Sunshine_the_bus wrote: We still have plenty here. Say, do you have a mosquito shortage? Cuz' I'd be happy to fix you up :P. Peace!

The skiter population has been way down during this drought, then one or two rains and you can't go outside :twisted:

Hum, I wonder if that might be what's up with the lightning bugs, the rain has not been that great the past couple of years?

mech361 Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:53 pm

Saw a few in May and quite a few in June, but I haven't seen any since then. Strange isn't it?

Seb67 Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:01 pm

I have seen quite a few lately here. They only tend to light up for a brief 5 minute period right at dusk. I remember once during a visit to D.C. how the fireflies there seemed to stay lit forever. The ones here are just a quick flash.

beetleboy58 Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Looking out from my barn 2 nights ago, there were thousands in one of the fields. Quite a sight, really! Ill try to get a pic the next clear night.

jerry.t Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:04 pm

there is a lot here, not as many as there was when i was a kid, but we still have a bunch.

Vanhag Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:55 pm

Al Gore said it's because of Global Warming.

David Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:56 pm

Just saw some tonight on the way home from the grocery :)

pikeman48 Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:51 am

I had a shitload of the little buggers lighting up my front yard last night! I was having a ball watching them.

meredith murray Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:53 am

:-k Yea I was wondering if there was a shortage of them in other places but it seams like it might be just where I am.

typesoneandtwo Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:42 pm

They come out this time of year in New England, also. I tried to photograph them but it didn't work.

MLTIGGER2 Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:02 pm

ChesterKV wrote: They do not exist in California.....at least I've never seen them.

. When I first moved to Indiana from California, I had no idea what those bugs were LOL

Typ311Dave Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:05 pm

^^^Living in California, from Indiana, for the past 20 years, I miss seeing the lightning bugs in the summertime. They don't exist here.

We used to catch them and smush 'em on ourselves or write on the driveway with them.

Russ Wolfe Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:18 pm

Typ311Dave wrote: ^^^Living in California, from Indiana, for the past 20 years, I miss seeing the lightning bugs in the summertime. They don't exist here.

We used to catch them and smush 'em on ourselves or write on the driveway with them.

Thats why there aren't as many. You smushed them all. They are blinking their lights to attract a mate.
:wink: :wink: :roll:

orangeeyesore Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:30 pm

typesoneandtwo wrote: They come out this time of year in New England, also. I tried to photograph them but it didn't work.

you need really sensitive film (3200 speed or so) and a lens that will open up real large or else you are going to have a hard time photographing them.

90volts Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Vanhag wrote: Al Gore said it's because of Global Warming.

because the polar bears are moving south and they're eating the fireflys?

plenty out this way..even this close to the city.

Rick73Super Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:05 am

Philadelphia has an extensive park system covering hundreds of acres(deer live in the forest). Go there a night and there are thousands of lightning bugs. There are some that live in my garden in front of my house, I haven't seen a decline.

drscope Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 am

Rick73Super wrote: Philadelphia has an extensive park system covering hundreds of acres(deer live in the forest). Go there a night and there are thousands of lightning bugs. There are some that live in my garden in front of my house, I haven't seen a decline.

We have plenty this year. Also an over abundance of aphids. The little buggers are eating holes in everything!