TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I love my Prius, but... Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
KTPhil Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:46 pm

...man, is it complicated! Check out this link to a description of the fuel tank system on the Prius. It's clean as a whistle, but look at all the wires, valves, sensors, and a million rubber hoses that are all custom formed and won't be available in a few years! It will become a disposable car.

Old VW tank/gauge "system": Metal tank, screw cap, stick to measure gas remaining.

Which would you rather work on? Which car is likely to still be on the road in 50 years?

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid13.pdf

Geb Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:17 pm

Man thats a nightmare. Just out of curiosity, do you know how much the batteries are and how often do they need to be replaced?

KTPhil Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:25 pm

New $4-5K. Used about $1K (less the $200 Toyota pays you to take the old one). They haven't worn out in over 250K miles so they have no idea how long! Maybe forever! They operate within a narrow charge band (maybe 30-70%) so they are never stressed.

Enos Burdette Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:43 pm

My sister in law is working in Japan for a year so I comandeered hers, had it about 6 months now, love that car. When she returns I'll be buying a new one, or possibly hold out till the next gen models arrive.

blarneyman Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 pm

I drive a hybrid for work every day. Personally, I would never buy one. For the price and maintenance costs alone, you could buy 2 non-hybrid cars. The fuel economy isn't as good in a non-hybrid, but some are close enough where it's not that big of an issue. The non-hybrid Prius would keep you within $100-150 per year for fuel cost based on 20,000 per year (freeway).

Chad1376 Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 pm

Complicated is right! I made the stupid mistake of reversing the polarity on the jumper cables when I had to jump-start the dinky motorcycle sized 12v battery in the car. After I realized my error, I went to start the car and everything was dead, dead, dead. I about crapped my pants for fear that I might have blown the gawd-awfull expensive computers that run the thing. I replaced at least 10 blade type fuses and still nothing. Finally, I realized I blew the big 100-amp main bus fuse in the fuse box. This fuse is bolted to the main 12v wires from the bottom, and the only way to replace it was to dis-assemble the entire fuse box. After 2-hours, scraped knuckles, lots of bad language, and a $3.00 fuse, it started and everything worked fine.

For what it's worth, my stupid mistake is THE only issue I've had with the car in 85,000 miles. I figure when the hybrid battery goes, I'll trade the car in for $2000 and buy another one.

KTPhil Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 pm

I've had no problems, save for failed HID headlamps replaced under warranty and goodwill. I'll drive it forever, maybe long enough to really find out how long the batteries last. Or until the little plastic parts start breaking and can't be replaced. It's the way they are all built today.

That complex gas tank is what gets it the "PZEV" rating, which (along with its MPG) allows me in the carpool lanes here, so I am glad it's that way, but man, I never want to try to repair any part of it!

Other cars can get good mileage but this car is far cleaner so it's not just for mpg, it's to start the trend toward hybrids, plug-ins, etc. I paid more for it but have no regrets. It's a large car inside (the same legroom as a Camry, a mid-size), and the hatchback is great. Plenty of power, fun with Nav system, etc. MPG payback is just a part of it.

But again, PLEASE don't ask me to do any more than change the oil! I work on my VW for the fun of it. This car would not be "fun."

melville Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:36 pm

Thanks to the Prius owners for the heads up! My wife is on the list for one to use in her RE sales. She should have it soon. I expect that I'll be able to change the oil and maybe the wiper blades.....

I'm sticking with my aircooled stuff myself.

MAYHEM Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:45 pm

HYBRIDS ARE A CON.

The technology for this is just not available at a worthwhile price.
And spent batteries are very hard to dispose of / contain in the long run.
If all cars had them it would be an ecological nightmare.

Just my 2 cents.

Chad1376 Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:56 pm

Your just a "hater" because Fresh and Easy doesn't have special parking near the front door for ACVW's :lol:

KTPhil Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:58 pm

Bogus BS put out by those who do not make them (GM).

Prius lists for about $22K if you leave off the Nav, leather, etc. Right now dealers are ripping buyers off adding thousands in premiums due to $5 gas shock, so I agree at this moment. But that won't last.

Batteries are recycled and the BS about the nickle plant is a lie--that plant never made material for Prius batteries, and was cleaned up more than 20 years ago to become literally a poster child for environmental cleanup success. Detroit chrome was made usnig that plant before then. Blame them, not hybrids.

Batteries last so long they probably outlast the gas engine. We don't know because they have yet to fail. Many taxis have put 250-300K miles and are still running fine.

Now, if you want to argue is that the only way to high mileage, of course not. Less HP and weight could achieve the same, but would people buy them? Marketers say no. The Prius sells because it drives like any other car. 0-60 in 10 seconds, gas like a regular car, no added maintenance... it "fits" expectations for a regular car so people buy it without fear. Would they buy a fragile car that gets high mileage but takes 36HP Bus times to get on the freeway? Not a chance! So in the meantime, this is the technology that sells and performs.

jmsmilin Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:26 pm

I always wondered about how it was going to be working on them and getting parts and a good mechanic to fix them in the future

KTPhil Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:44 pm

I owuld not buy it if it wasn't a Toyota. It's been very reliable and should continue to be, but WHEN things finally wear out it will be mostly a dealer-only job. Too many special tools, computers, and access to spares make this one to keep away from the local shade tree mechanic. And in a fe wyears, I bet those plastic doohickies are just plain unavailable. That's why I love old VWs. You can take them apart, sand the rust off, paint it, and the METAL car is back good as new. Not so witha billion molded plastic pieces. I will probably have my T3 after the Toyota finally is parked.

tstracy39 Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:57 pm

Of course it's a disposable car. If it could be reused then you wouldn't want to buy a new one after it's all worn out. Unfortunately for them if they created a classic there will be all kinds of companies springing up producing all the parts you could possibly need for it once it's discontinued (and for cheap--god bless capitalism) and it'll get rebuilt anyways, disposable or not. If there was a reusable, upgradable and updatable new car available today I'd be the first guy to buy one

Rick73Super Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 am

My neighbor, who is a shade tree mechanic has a first generation Prius with close to 200,000 miles. He recently had a problem with the electric drive system and spent thousands to get it running. I can't see how a Prius saves you money if it costs more to purchase and more to repair, IMO a Yaris or Corrola is a better buy. Another "green gimmick" to make people feel they are doing something.

420GOAT Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:28 am

if a car is thousands more from the start and it requires big money to fix .....where are the savings in that? buy a regular car and donate to greenpeace if your trying to save the earth by buying a hybrid.

mustard_madman Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:38 am

Foxx Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:20 pm

do all Prius owners smell their own farts still?

typesoneandtwo Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Foxx wrote: do all Prius owners smell their own farts still?

One of the BEST South Park episodes ever! "incidents of widespread smug have been reported"

tstracy39 Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:52 pm

Foxx wrote: do all Prius owners smell their own farts still?

:-& That's almost as bad as slapping an "ELECTRIC POWERED" decal on your car