TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: PDX VANAGON/DOKA/WESTFALIA ~Monthly Westravaganza!~ Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
carterzest Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:40 pm

jkidd152 wrote: Whoa I almost missed the winery roll call! I'm in! Thanks for inviting us!

On an unrelated note, anyone interested in a nice Gary Lee ladder with spare tire carrier? I am thinking of going with a swing-away carrier instead. PM me if you're interested.

John pm sent.

FrankenSubySyncro Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Hello PDXers, I am turning 40 on Saturday, July 13th and am having a party at my house in Camas, WA that evening. :D :vw: \:D/ =D> :bay_blue: :D

We will be grilling out, have a keg of home brewed beer, and a bonfire. Bring any additional home brew you may have.

I am inviting all of my vanagon friends to come over and party with me. Other vanagon owners welcome also.

Depending on the weather, we may also do a tour of the Yacolt Burn state forest which is 6 miles from my house on Sunday. It will be 2wd friendly but also have a few play spots for syncros. There are some great views of Portland from the top of Larch mountain.

Camping is available, I am guessing I have room for about 20 vans maybe more.

Send me a PM for directions, RSVP, and to reserve a camping spot if needed.

Jahbah Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Hey-o pdxers

We're stepping out into the woods and figured I give a last hooraw for the Argyle winery gtg. There will be a tent and large indoor area in case of passing shower. Come around at one or later, we will be hanging out throughout the afternoon. Games wine and tours. Bring beer if thats your style, I'll probably be drinking beer too! The address is 691 hwy 99w Dundee oregon. We will be in the second parking lot on the Sw side of the winery. Come one and all.
Cheers
D

plummerdesign Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Jeff E,

Them crazy doors…
Have you removed the slider panel to look at the release cable yet? If you do, then take the time to remove, clean and lubricate the cable plus all working parts. There is a locknut on the cable- which if loose will not allow the door to open easily.
Another item that causes problems is the (ancient pot metal) outside slider handle. When they are near breaking off; the door will become harder to open because the thru-pin does not turn the latch release enough.
Everything has to be ‘right’ for the cable action to do its thing.
I have done this repair on both of my 1984’s, so can be of some assist.
Heck, I have even created a tool to remove the plastic panel clips without destroying them or the wallpaper (on the panel).
Cheers,
Jeffery
(Westfalia travel / camping videos at YouTube link below)

guggenheim Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:27 am

Jahbah wrote: Hey-o pdxers

We're stepping out into the woods and figured I give a last hooraw for the Argyle winery gtg. There will be a tent and large indoor area in case of passing shower. Come around at one or later, we will be hanging out throughout the afternoon. Games wine and tours. Bring beer if thats your style, I'll probably be drinking beer too! The address is 691 hwy 99w Dundee oregon. We will be in the second parking lot on the Sw side of the winery. Come one and all.
Cheers
D

Jahbah,

Thanks for the public invite. My gf and I might make it out to Argyle. Picking up our, new to us, EV Camper today! Driving 4 hours away to it pick up. If it's nice out, we might just camp tonight :)

Clarence

markz2004 Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:41 am

local van;

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/3883470581.html

maketrax Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:12 pm

plummerdesign wrote: Jeff E,

Them crazy doors…
Have you removed the slider panel to look at the release cable yet? If you do, then take the time to remove, clean and lubricate the cable plus all working parts. There is a locknut on the cable- which if loose will not allow the door to open easily.
Another item that causes problems is the (ancient pot metal) outside slider handle. When they are near breaking off; the door will become harder to open because the thru-pin does not turn the latch release enough.
Everything has to be ‘right’ for the cable action to do its thing.
I have done this repair on both of my 1984’s, so can be of some assist.
Heck, I have even created a tool to remove the plastic panel clips without destroying them or the wallpaper (on the panel).
Cheers,
Jeffery

No, I haven't taken the panel off yet...partly because I don't want to sacrifice any more of those clips! Every time I remove the panel it seems like a couple more of them go to their grave. I'll take it off and look it over though...thanks for the suggestions. That gives me a few things to check out. If I can't get it, I just might take you up on the offer to look it over...maybe at one of the next meet-ups. For now, I'll just keep tugging, pulling, cursing, swearing... until she pops open!

Thanks!

Tishamingo Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:02 pm

but I will actually passing through Dundee early in the morning as I head to PDX to go root on the Timbers tomm afternoon. Worked on the van today, changing the fuel lines from a kit I had had since last July from Van Cafe.

First time I have taken it on, long story short, I made some bad cuts not compensating for the inch I took off when taking the hoses off the fuel rails Was wondering if anyone has any extra fuel lines in their garage or anywhere. I will more than likely order some more to finish the return line and up to the fuel pump but would like to at least be able to see if I have any leaks.

Have fun tomorrow guys and gals!

childofthewind Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Have fun with grapes tomorrow, y'all. I wish I could join you instead of working!

Welchmaster Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Dustin

My wife and I will be there! Thanks

carterzest Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Jahbah wrote: Hey-o pdxers.
There will be a tent and large indoor area in case of passing shower. Come around at one or later, we will be hanging out throughout the afternoon. Games wine and tours. Bring beer if thats your style, I'll probably be drinking beer too! The address is 691 hwy 99w Dundee oregon. We will be in the second parking lot on the Sw side of the winery. Come one and all.
Cheers
D
OK Folks. Here is the linky to the map at the West entrance of Argyle.

691 Oregon 99W Dundee, OR 97115

This is sure to be a real rip snorter and I am sorry that I cannot make it. it is my sons 7th Birthday tomorrow and we are having a party for him at my house and I am working nights this weekend :cry:

have fun and post lots of pictures please, JOSH :wink:

malibu Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:31 am

What are the rules with wineries and small children (2yr old)?

21 and up only?

Jahbah Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for posting a map zest.

Kids are no problem! We just can't put them to work due to labor laws :lol:

Look forward to seeing everybody!

plummerdesign Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:34 am

If you are removing the OEM slider panel on a 1980-1984 Westfalia, it is a given that the plastic panel buttons are going to break.
Hedge your bet by ordering new ones from Bus Depot and then make this handy button removal tool.

It starts with a simple plastic sheetrock mud spreader.
Drill out a 5/16” hole, 3/4” in from the front edge (centered).
Then cut the V-keyway with a RotoZip, Dremel or similar tool.
To finish, sand and taper the cut edges so they bevel. This makes the tool slip in behind the button head with ease. There should be no sharp edges anywhere on the spreader face, so as not to harm the door skin wallpaper.
To use the tool, take a small flat screwdriver and gently lift one edge of the plastic button. This allows the spreader to slip in underneath. Work the spreader side to side until it catches the offset of the plastic button- then it will side under completely.
Twist and lift. Unless the buttons are sun damaged or broken they will come right out and be re-useable. (Some may fail; good thing you ordered the ones from Bus Depot!)
http://www.plummerdesign.com/westfalia/westfalia-door-panel-button-removal.pdf
NOTE: Sorry for bad photos. Was doing the task and only half-heartedly shot the images with one hand.
Cheers,
Jeffery

jkidd152 Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Jahbah D gives an awesome wine tour!

Caption contest?

Welchmaster Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Dustin, thanks for having us out today. the wine and people were both great!

a few shots:

carterzest Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Welchmaster wrote: Dustin, thanks for having us out today. the wine and people were both great!
a few shots:

Looks like it was a fun time. How many vans? Looks like 5 or 6. Loving the mustache on Jahbah~D's SinChroW 8)
jkidd152 wrote: Jahbah D gives an awesome wine tour!

Caption contest?
and that rack up there, that is the exact reason why I had this GTG when Carterzest could not be here :wink:

A whole Rack of them.......

BitterBeerFace Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:46 pm

It was a fun winery gathering! Nice to meet everyone :)

I was mentioning how weird it is for someone from MN to see any vans, especially older ones on the road... saw these two in the same Fred Meyer's parking lot in Multnomah village on the way 'home'!

carterzest Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:59 pm

BitterBeerFace wrote: It was a fun winery gathering! Nice to meet everyone :)

I was mentioning how weird it is for someone from MN to see any vans, especially older ones on the road... saw these two in the same Fred Meyer's parking lot in Multnomah village on the way 'home'!

He he he...that SCab is my friend Saul Koll, a premier guitar builder and samba member as well. Nice catch.

Sorry I was not able to make it out and meet you BBFace. :cry: Glad you had a great time.

Saul Koll Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:42 pm

BitterBeerFace wrote: It was a fun winery gathering! Nice to meet everyone :)

Ha!
I saw someone in a Vanagon taking a picture today. It was YOU!
Thanks for noticing my truck. I didn't know about the winery gig otherwise I might have joined you. We went on a Sunday drive. A loopy jaunt through Lake Oswego/WestLinn/Wanker's Corner/Oregon city, just for the hell of it. A final stop before home was a visit to Freddy's to resupply.

cheers, and take care-
(next time CarterJeff will hip me to the party!)