TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Exact location of the transmission vent hole?
Woreign Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:40 pm

I want to check and make sure it's not clogged, but I have no idea where to look for it. Part schematics don't show the hole...

Thanks!

shano63 Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:20 pm

Is there one?? I just put a refurb tranny in my car and I did not notice a vent hole.

KTPhil Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:52 pm

Not exact, but it's at the front top of the unit. I think pics have been posted.

Woreign Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Is this it?

shano63 Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:19 pm

I stand corrected. :oops:

drscope Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:05 am

Its in different places on different transmissions. Most are between the fins on the top of the nose cone. It is impossible to see them when the tranny is in the car.

Dangermouse Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Should this vent hole be completely clear then? Mine looks to be at least partially blocked with crud.

I have my transmission out to deal to a leak from the three detent plug holes, the original plugs are long gone. I found a good amount of tranny fluid lying in the tunnel under the shift coupling and it seems it may have travelled along the shift rod where it exits the nosecone. Pressure buildup from a blocked vent hole might exacerbate this maybe?

Here are a couple of pics of the holes left by the crumbled detent plugs as I didn't really find any images in my searches. They look about 10mm diameter and about as deep. I'm going to try sealing them with a nylon plug and some RTV...

Jeckler Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:40 pm

I used a wooden dowel and some Goop to seal mine up.

engineerscott Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Jeckler wrote: I used a wooden dowel and some Goop to seal mine up.

Just a question (that I don't know the answer to) but is that wise? Surely the engineers that designed the unit had some rational for wanting to vent it. Perhaps to avoid pressure build up or vacuum in the transaxle housing as the internal temperature changed?

I can certainly understand the desire to close up a entry point for moisture or other contaminates.

Jeckler Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Sorry, wasn't clear. The detent plugs on mine were gone as well, so those holes are what I sealed up.