TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New location for Fuel filter Page: Previous  1, 2
Kenda Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:05 pm

blue72beetle wrote: Here's where I put mine. I would have put it under the tank, but I figured I better filter the fuel line through the tunnel as well. No issues here above the transaxle, and it's easy to keep an eye on too.

When I put my '68 back together I'm putting mine here. Makes since because it's at the end of the tunnel right before the engine.

Kenda Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:09 pm

The new location looks clean etc. but I would be concerned about all the points of failure. With it in the engine compartment before you only had four places it could come off now you have like 10 places of possible failure? Every connection is a possible failure point.

Just my 2 cents

Joel Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:52 am

theres no reason why u couldnt screw ur nice new mount to the fire wall under the fuel tank on the opposite to the master cylinder
i have mine there to but mines RHD

altho next to the tranny is better than the engine bay its still not as protected as under the tank
and if a rock flies up and pierces one of those shitty plastic filter next to the tranny ur still gonna have all that fuel pouring out near a hot exhaust and a large unfused live cable to the starter motor

its no more effort to jack up the front once a year and change the filter there than have to jack up the rear and pull the wheel off

just my $0.02

conrad1468 Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:41 am

my filter is in the same location as blue72beetle did... i like to keep it after the center tube fuel line to keep as much of the old rust out of the engine fuel lines..

the only difference is i used more metal lines to keep the filter closer to the rear luggage compartment. i like to use metal lines instead of just rubber lines..

you could use your mount up above the trans...

Joel Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:45 pm

blue72beetle, whats the clampy thing on ur clutch cable??

also u might wanna do something about that cable thats sitting on top of it
the clutch cable will wear thro the insulation of it in no time and if its something unfused which it probably is as it looks like the wire to the starter motor u got another potential fire on ur hands

also it looks like ur bowden tube is missing as well??

blue72beetle Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:26 am

It is some sort of adjusting clamp. A new clutch cable is on the next order list.

The black item is the throttle cable housing. It's not rubbing on the clutch cable it's just the angle of the picture.

What's a proper Bowden tube look like? :oops:

blue72beetle Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:47 am

Did a search (imagine that!) and found this picure. Is this it? If it is, then no my car does not have that black tube and bracket. I never even knew it was supposed to have something like that.

catbox Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:56 am

i put my filter down under by the tranny and went the extra mile and made a bracket that holds the filter to the tranny. the filter i bought is a wix 1/4" and it has a bead rolled around the center of the canister. the bracket is held by one of the bolts down there and the filter slides into the bracket and is then held by gravity and the hoses.

and i double bagged it for my protection.

Joel Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:10 pm

yep thats the animal
its actually fairly important
that bend in it is required to be just right for proper clutch operation

sorrry i actually meant the grey electrical wire sitting on ur clutch cable
its probably the starter wire from the ignition switch
sitting ontop of the clutch cable with is constantly moving would wear thro the insulation pretty quick
and theres normally no fuse on that wire either