TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: spydee's Modification for broken skylight swingarm gliders. Page: 1, 2  Next
spydee Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Here is a modification i just finished today on my skylight swingarm plastic gliders that are on both ends of the glider. These things pretty much fell off when i began removing my skylight hardware to install my new skylight.Because of age the plastic is now very brittle, so be very carefull when removing. ok here are the pix, hope this can help someone else with this issue.

this is roughly what it looked like originally.

here is what it looked like broken, use a bench grinder to remove the old rivet from the swingarm.

here is the piece now removed fom the swingarm, notice that i have drilled a hole through the aluminum piece to fit a new rivet through.

keep these

the 2 pieces together

old pieces, new rivet, new washer

how it looks on the rivet

here's what it looked like after i applied the rivet using the rivet gun.

another angle

the old plastic pieces, going in the recycling.

old vs new

one last thing i will add is that when i was reinstalling everything i did notice that the plastic gliders were no longer rolling like they are suppose to.most likely cause the rivet is too tight, so maybe the final modification would be instead of a rivet maybe to use a small bolt and a nut with a nylon insert, the nylon in those nuts will allow it stay tight wherever you decide to tighten it to. i may make a quick alteration if i can find the right size bolt/ nut. anyhow this is spydee's first mod. i will contribute as many ideas as i can to this forum, as it has served me well. thanx everyone for the advice.

spydee
90 westy

Rodknock Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:04 am

I was thinking of doing this exact same thing to mine. Thank you for the pics and write-up.

Raynor Shine Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:29 am

very mcgyver! i have this one noted. thanks for the pics

riceye Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:58 am

Great save!

The next time mine wears out I'll try that. The last time I rebuilt it I used rollers I was able to locate at the hardware store in the patio screen door parts selection.

And, just last week I was able to eliminate the incessant rattle of the skylight. As it turns out, the rattle was caused by a baggy hinge at the front of the skylight. I took both off and did some pinching with a vise grips to tighten the hinges up.

No more rattles!

debbiej Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm

ah, like the search. this is why my skylight rattles and leaks!!

Classicvibe Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm

HOw funny, I had no idea those little plastic things existed. I just assumed that skylight was the single worst designed product I had ever seen. I mean, it still is, but it is nice to know just a tiny bit more thought went into it. Bookmarked!

K58 Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:42 pm

debbiej wrote: ah, like the search. this is why my skylight rattles and leaks!!
It most likely leaks because of a bad seal.
It rained here the last 2 days and I noticed my seal is rotted and the caulking around it is gone. Talk about a bad design..the skylight sits in a groove where water collects.
GoWesty has the items you need

debbiej Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 am

we did replace the seal on both the pop top and the skylight. I think maybe the hinges are loose too. I am trying to decide if I should order the part.

is there a non-operable skylight replacement idea out there?

PDXWesty Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 am

debbiej wrote: we did replace the seal on both the pop top and the skylight. I think maybe the hinges are loose too. I am trying to decide if I should order the part.

is there a non-operable skylight replacement idea out there?

Sounds like you already have a non-operable skylight. :wink:

Seriously, all the parts to repair it and make it work properly and seal tight are available at most of the major vendors including the skylight guy.

http://www.theskylightguy.com/main.jsp?p2=shopping/catalog.jsp&catalog_id=50

joetiger Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 am

I did a similar repair to mine, but I used nuts and bolts instead of rivets; I wanted to play with it and see if I could make it continue to work using only old crap I could find in my garage. It lasted about 600 miles. :D

I went ahead and bought the replacement mechanism from Van Cafe for $16 or so and am installing it this evening.

msinabottle Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 pm

I used that screen door part mod findable online... Yours is a good mod indeed and looks a lot more robust.

Y'know what my biggest problem with the lifting/lower arms is? The rivets in the MIDDLE of the arms hang up on each other and I have to reach up and physically push them apart. Anyone have a solution for THAT?

:shock:

Best!

Timwhy Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 am

I used these directions to repair my skylight.
http://www.vanagonauts.com/index.phtml?catid=170

However I cut the plastic tube closer to the ridge than what is stated in the directions.
I used shorter screws also, the longer ones would not allow the skylight to close all
the way down. Pretty ceap fix, I think it was under Five Buck$?

joetiger Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:19 am

In the interest of full disclosure, I figured something out when I took apart my mechanism again last night to replace it with the new part:

I had installed my modified mechanism backwards. :oops: No wonder it wouldn't operate correctly.

Duh.

I installed the new one and it works well enough, though.

K58 Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:07 pm

http://www.vanagonauts.com/index.phtml?catid=170
that's waaaay too much work....for 15 bucks I'll buy a new flexarm

ragnarhairybreeks Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:23 pm

I was fussing around making delrin bushes for the swing arm and i decided that the plastic cover need repaint. Krylon Fusion satin black. Then one thing led to another and I made a new knob from an old inline skate wheel.

alistair

debbiej Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 pm

that is very nice!
yep, I do pretty much have a non-operable skylight!
it is good to see what the wheels should look like, mine has no wheels, just the little disks left there.

r39o Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Here's the text to the above URL:

After leaving the skylight up on my '90 Westy and trying to drive into the garage one too many times, the rollers on the ends of the lifter arms needed to be fixed. Here is what I did, based largely on Terry K.'s fix for the problem.

Parts list:
2 nylon bi-fold door top guide/pivots.
2 10/32 x 1/2 or 3/4" machine screws (with the flattest heads you can find) and two nylock nuts.
2 nylon washers. These are optional. I couldn't find any the size I needed, so I had to make the hole larger
and the outer diameter smaller. I put these between the lifter arm and the slotted track.

Procedure:
Remove the screw holding the knob on and remove knob.
Pull off the plastic covers and remove the 4 8mm nuts and washers plus the smaller screw and nut
above the knob.
Remove the plastic cover over the lifter mechanism. Don't lose the spacer washers under the outer ends.
Remove the lifter.
Drill out the old rivets and rollers.
Enlarge the holes in the ends of the arms slightly to take 10/32 screws (or use smaller screws).
Cut the two pivots as shown in the photo, to 1/4" long. Actually, a little less is better. This and the flat screw
screw heads ensure they will not hit the nuts holding the slotted track to the skylight. If they do, you can
mark the point on the nut, remove it and file it down a little.

The optional method uses two flanged nylon bushings, one inside the other, and cut down to 1/4" or less.
The sizes for these two are:
Large one: flange diam.=17/32"; I.D.=1/4"; length=11/32".
Small one: flange diam.=13/32"; I.D.=3/16"; length=11/32".

r39o Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:33 pm

I *MUST* do this fix. You know just how annoying that skylight is rattling down the road, ya know, eh?

So I have questions for the above text(S) and posts.

Where do you get "bi-fold door top guide/pivots?"

Where is Terry Ks fix?

Where, from what application, do you get any of the little nylons / plastics mentioned?

Where in the Homie Despot do I go, for example?

K58 Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Update:
Whatever you do don't waste money on the GoWe$ty junk.
I thought I was buying a direct fit replacement gasket but when I received it there was a warning that it was not. The "fix" resulted in a worse leak than I had before :x
Now I have to spend more money to fix the fix.

ragnarhairybreeks Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:42 pm

r39o wrote: I *MUST* do this fix. You know just how annoying that skylight is rattling down the road, ya know, eh?

So I have questions for the above text(S) and posts.

Where do you get "bi-fold door top guide/pivots?"

Where is Terry Ks fix?

Where, from what application, do you get any of the little nylons / plastics mentioned?

Where in the Homie Despot do I go, for example?

I wrote up Terry's mod years ago on my old website, here is the link:

http://members.shaw.ca/albell/mods2.html

alistair