TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Air cleaner missing something?
Eric Goodman Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:51 pm

I am a New Thing owner and this is my first VW. Cleaned the Air clear today and it looks like the one in the owners manual, but when I opened it and followed the direction to clean it and add oil I did not see the middle filter like the book shows? Read the VW repair manual and it said some have a paper filter? All I have is the oil in the lower half and the top part has lots of holes and what looks like steel wool... Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

thinghunter Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Pictures might help but it sounds like it looks just like mine.

Eric Goodman Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:36 pm

I am missing "G" in the info on this link regaring the air cleaner? Sorry I could not get my own photo to upload. Thanks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95965&highlight=oil+type

howiesfamily Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 am

here you go.

Eric Goodman Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:04 pm

Thanks. As stated I do not have part "G" in my air cleaner? Unless it does not come out like shown in the photo? I have the bottom part for the oil and the rest is made in the top, it look like G but does not come out... I wanted to know if my Air Cleaner is missing it? Thanks again for the help.

Lance1970 Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi-

Yes you are missing part "G". It is immersed in the oil 'bath' and is the primary filter element.

I don't remember ever seeing a part G for sale by itself! You might ask around the forum, K-Mann seems to have lots of pieces available?

Good luck -John

uberautowerks Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:51 pm

The part you are "missing" is in the upper half of the housing. The part with all the holes and the stuff that looks like steel wool. if it was not there all you would see is an empty cylinder.

Eric Goodman Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

OK- I understand. Then it is in place. It can be removed??? Looked and felt like one unit to me... Thanks.

kuhl 181 Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:54 am

Yes it comes out proablly just stuck with grime. Soak the whole lower section in kerosene which will help desolve the grime and can be used to clean the whole assembly. "When in good condition they're a tight fit" After soaking for a couple of hours, drain and put your finger with a rag to protect it in center hole and try twisting and lightly pulling. Once it starts to twist it will come out easy it's not threaded. Good Luck !