TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rear engine mount???
Rev. Scott Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 pm

my '74 doesnt have one of these...i "off road" daily...should i have one/do i need one?

[email protected] Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:21 pm

u could make with out of a bus rear enginemount
, but you would have to remove your rear skid plate if you have one,
are you really rough with it.

Rev. Scott Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:01 pm

not baja rough, but...i do enjoy 20 miles of dirt a day! that adds up after a while! how does it work/mount? what does it do? why should/shouldnt i have one?...

howiesfamily Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:16 pm

In it's original configuration, your engine is held up by only the four bolts that connect it to the transmission bell housing. By adding the rear engine support, your engine would not put as much strain on those four bolts. The rear engine support bolts to the back of the engine with 3 or 4 bolts then mounts to the body frame rails on either side of the engine compartment. Later model Type 3's and buses with a Type 4 motor have rear engine supports. I believe the bus had them due to the extra weight of the Type 4 motor.

thinghunter Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:15 pm

Buses had them starting in I think 68 even when they had type 1 engines. My question is does the original poster mean an actual rear engine mount like on a bus or just the stock engine guard?

Rev. Scott Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:23 pm

there is a "rear engine MOUNT" in the classifieds...just got me to wondering. my thing does live a hard life...

howiesfamily Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:17 am

If you're talking about one of these:

That is not a "mount". It's more of a "skid plate" or engine guard.

This is a rear engine mount:

uberautowerks Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:35 pm

They can also be called "Traction bars". They keep the engine from moving downward under hard acceleration and bending the frame horns. Mass production traction bars are typically designed for Beetles and bolt up to the bumper mounts then support the engine just forward of and under the oil pump. However fabbing one up for a Thing is not hard. Get some square tube and half inch all-thread. If your real gung-ho go with a rubber block on the bar, under the engine to kill some noise. Remember you'll want some upward pre-load too, so the engine doesn't lift off the bar under compression braking or bumps.

Forgot a pic from the gallery!!!