TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Own a Doberman Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
67 Shane Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Anyone own a Dobe? I got a puppy a month ago. What a ride. Such a smart little guy. His tail was cut when I got him so I did his ears as well. I really thought it was going to be rough on him but he has had no problems. Its like nothing happened at all. No pain or anything. He hasnt even scratched em. I know some people are against ear cropping and dont start on me. People get their sons circumsised right? So if you own a Doberman post up your experiences with them. My family has always owned them. Even my little old gray haired grandma has a huge Dobe in the house. Its hilarious to watch this old lady walk this beast bigger than her. I would post a picture but theres nowhere in the gallery for pictures like that.

61vdubbug Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:21 pm

I have owned both red and black dobies. They are the smartest and most loyal dogs i've ever been around. I'm not quite sure why some people are afraid of them. Here's Beazley Von Montross:

2002sportside Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:19 pm

61vdubbug wrote: I'm not quite sure why some people are afraid of them.
Because they are misunderstood. Same reason German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, etc - there are some bad owners and breeders who give the dogs a bad name.

At the same time, they are breeds that command respect, many are bred and used as security and protection. Those breed lines do not make good pets...

Oddly, in a recent study done by the University of Pennsylvania, the Dachshund is the top biting dog. I saw a study a few years ago that had the Sheltie at #8, because many are shy and easily frightened. Some people don't know how to act around dogs...

But, this thread is useless without puppy pics! Upload some to photobucket and post them up. Good luck with your puppy :D

runslikeapenguin Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:33 pm

2002sportside wrote: 61vdubbug wrote: I'm not quite sure why some people are afraid of them.
Because they are misunderstood. Same reason German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, etc - there are some bad owners and breeders who give the dogs a bad name.

yeah ill believe the owner of the pit bull argument when there's not overwhelming amounts of evidence coming from the other side.
and ive never ever met anyone with the bias that german shepards are vicious animals. in fact ive never met a german shepherd that wasnt a well behaved family animal.

2002sportside Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:40 pm

runslikeapenguin wrote: 2002sportside wrote: 61vdubbug wrote: I'm not quite sure why some people are afraid of them.

yeah ill believe the owner of the pit bull argument when there's not overwhelming amounts of evidence coming from the other side.
and ive never ever met anyone with the bias that german shepards are vicious animals. in fact ive never met a german shepherd that wasnt a well behaved family animal.
I guess we've never been to the same impound yard... :lol: one of the local towing companies uses a GSD and Rottweiler for security. I wouldn't go near either one...

At the same time, I've never met a pit bull that wasn't a sweet family pet. But I would probably never own one... I had a friend who had three that were the sweetest, but even he wouldn't let his newborn near them.

I've never really met all that many aggressive dogs in my lifetime. Most just bark as a warning. I still won't just walk up to one, any dog has the potential to bite.

Major Woody Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:02 pm

Don't those fuckers shed like crazy?

hazetguy Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:22 pm

runslikeapenguin wrote: blah blah blah

well what kind of shitbag dog do you own that is so immaculately perfect?

TimGud Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:50 pm

We had a black and tan Dob when I was a teenager. That was one cool dog. Unfortunately they don't live as long as some breeds

Russ Wolfe Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:06 pm

Mixed breed for me. No worries about breeders inbreeding for a certain trait.
My dog is a Labrador, healer, greyhound mix.
She is 13 years old, and would still give her self to protect my wife or me if we were threatened, but she has never snapped a a human, just because.
She almost killed the neighbors dog when it threatened my wife while she was out walking.
Even my Vet, who is a Border Collie breeder recommends mixed breeds for family pets.

runslikeapenguin Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:18 pm

hazetguy wrote: runslikeapenguin wrote: blah blah blah

well what kind of shitbag dog do you own that is so immaculately perfect?

right now i dont own a dog, but my old family dog was actually one of the most mellow dogs ever, slight over weight, dalmatian and border collie. this dog dosent even bark.
so where as its completely useless in pretty much every way its been a good pet.

hazetguy Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:31 pm

runslikeapenguin wrote:

right now i dont own a dog, but my old family dog was actually one of the most mellow dogs ever, slight over weight, dalmatian and border collie. this dog dosent even bark.
so where as its completely useless in pretty much every way its been a good pet.

dead dogs don't bark.

Shane, bring your dog by, yours and mine can go out and terrorize the neighborhood.

runslikeapenguin Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:39 pm

hazetguy wrote: runslikeapenguin wrote:

dead dogs don't bark.

Shane, bring your dog by, yours and mine can go out and terrorize the neighborhood.

its not dead.

hazetguy Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:42 pm

then why did you say "was"???

runslikeapenguin Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:44 pm

hazetguy wrote: then why did you say "was"???

i dont live at home anymore. thus the family dog is with the family.

hazetguy Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:47 pm

if the dog is still alive, there should be no past tense when talking about it in your sentence, no matter where it it currently living.

runslikeapenguin Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:50 pm

hazetguy wrote: if the dog is still alive, there should be no past tense when talking about it in your sentence, no matter where it it currently living.

my old family dog "is"
happy?

67 Shane Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:27 pm

hazetguy wrote: runslikeapenguin wrote:

dead dogs don't bark.

Sure thing Jon. I been so damn busy with the new business' that my family and I started I havent had time to even sleep lately. Jon and his wife have a sweet pit. I been bit in the face by a pit but none the less their dog is great! Never would hesitate to go face to face with her.

67 Shane Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:29 pm

61vdubbug wrote: I have owned both red and black dobies. They are the smartest and most loyal dogs i've ever been around. I'm not quite sure why some people are afraid of them. Here's Beazley Von Montross:

Beautiful dog! How long did it take for his or her ears to stand? The vet told me its longer than pits and boxers as their ears are shorter of a cut than a Dobermans.

oldskool7_11 Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 pm

Breed Name Tested Passed Failed Percent

AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 586 494 92 84.3%
AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE
TERRIER 548 457 91 83.4%

STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER 80 71 9 88.8%

DALMATIAN 318 260 58 81.8%

BORDER COLLIE 238 191 47 80.3%

all dogs can be trained to bite or not bite. it seems like your dalmatian/boarder collie mix is statistically more likely to bite than my pit bull. these numbers are taken from the American Temperament Test Society's wed site. http://www.atts.org/index.html

JeffDeWitt Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:42 pm

This is my big goofy mutt ready to go for a ride.